• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Conservative Business Dress

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Con Biz Dresser
Gehrig, thank you for making the point better than I could; I was getting a little frustrated in the moment and might not of expressed myself as well as I would of liked to. Maybe I was being overcritical about the shoulders of Manton's suit but that might just because the lack of padding and slouching is foreign to what I am familiar with. I do think though that the use of "ultra" and "neo" conservative in regards to dress is not necessarily helpful for those of us who take our professional appearance seriously as it does add a political overtone which I don't feel is appropriate in the workplace.

crackup[1].gif

Jesus, I can't breathe. K-man, stop, before I crack a rib.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
From the knowledge I've gained through this thread I have dressed myself conservatively for the day's activities. So far it is going well, no one has been offended by my presence and my appearance has obviously not been an issue. In fact, people have looked right through me all day, which was exactly my intention. Now, I can truly fit in.

waywt1004816rk8.jpg

Paul Stuart 2-button Gray Flannel Suit (nominal waist suppression, medium gorge, medium lapels, medium everything). Cuffs on pants 1.75". Flat front, not that anyone will ever know because I will not be removing my jacket). I realize the cuffs may be a faux pas with the flat fronts, but like I said I will not let anyone know, and as cuffs are always the best option for us conservative business dressers (CBDs) maybe the flat fronts are the actual faux pas. Anyway, to reiterate, I will take great pains today to make sure no one finds out about my flat fronts.

Polo RL white barely-spread collar broadcloth shirt. Any narrower and I might have been mistaken for a Goodfella, any wider, a poncey, uppity Brit. Button cuffs, of course (what else is there?)

Brooks Brothers dark blue tie in plain silk with completely inoffensive print pattern of indistinguishable designs. I have flinched a couple of times today when someone looked at it, thinking they might form a negative association with something about it that I don't understand, but so far, so good. Four-in-hand knot, as straight as I could make it. A weak, ambiguous dimple that says "I don't know what a dimple is, this just happened to the tie. Please, don't hit me."

Dark gray plain OTC wool socks. The most popular question, I once read, is whether they should match the trousers or the shoes. Of course they should match the trousers to create a nice vertical line, otherwise there is too much focus on the ankle.

AE Lloyd black balmoral wingtips. Leather single soles. The better for *****footing around superiors and strangers alike, while not drawing notice or criticism. I thought about the EG Chelsea captoes, but those have a waist, which I am told is very gay. Gayness is not conservative enough for my environment, so those shoes will stay in the closet today.

I hope I haven't offended anyone, or overstepped my bounds with my post.

Thank you gentlemen.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
From the knowledge I've gained through this thread I have dressed myself conservatively for the day's activities. So far it is going well, no one has been offended by my presence and my appearance has obviously not been an issue. In fact, people have looked right through me all day, which was exactly my intention. Now, I can truly fit in.

waywt1004816rk8.jpg

Paul Stuart 2-button Gray Flannel Suit (nominal waist suppression, medium gorge, medium lapels, medium everything). Cuffs on pants 1.75". Flat front, not that anyone will ever know because I will not be removing my jacket). I realize the cuffs may be a faux pas with the flat fronts, but like I said I will not let anyone know, and as cuffs are always the best option for us conservative business dressers (CBDs) maybe the flat fronts are the actual faux pas. Anyway, to reiterate, I will take great pains today to make sure no one finds out about my flat fronts.

Polo RL white barely-spread collar broadcloth shirt. Any narrower and I might have been mistaken for a Goodfella, any wider, a poncey, uppity Brit. Button cuffs, of course (what else is there?)

Brooks Brothers dark blue tie in plain silk with completely inoffensive print pattern of indistinguishable designs. I have flinched a couple of times today when someone looked at it, thinking they might form a negative association with something about it that I don't understand, but so far, so good. Four-in-hand knot, as straight as I could make it. A weak, ambiguous dimple that says "I don't know what a dimple is, this just happened to the tie. Please, don't hit me."

Dark gray plain OTC wool socks. The most popular question, I once read, is whether they should match the trousers or the shoes. Of course they should match the trousers to create a nice vertical line, otherwise there is too much focus on the ankle.

AE Lloyd black balmoral wingtips. Leather single soles. The better for *****footing around superiors and strangers alike, while not drawing notice or criticism. I thought about the EG Chelsea captoes, but those have a waist, which I am told is very gay. Gayness is not conservative enough for my environment, so those shoes will stay in the closet today.

Thank you gentlemen.

WTF is with that string tie? That's conservative business dress only if the early Beatles were conservative business dress. Are you sure you're not wearing ankle boots?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
Flannel

Should be worsted. Subtract two points.

barely-spread collar
Still, a bit too much. M E D I U M is the watch word. That angle should be closed by about 20 degrees more. Minus one point.

Brooks Brothers dark blue tie in plain silk with completely inoffensive print pattern of indistinguishable designs.
Colors, but subdued colors, so minus one-half. But the tie is suspiciously narrow. Might be vintage. Might even be from some long lost era, and thus "retro." Retro is never conservative. At worst, it is even hip. Minus 1.5.

A good choice in an American context. Plus two.

I'd say, overall, a solid B+! Definitely Conservative Business Dress. Could be toned down a tad, but you are well on your way to true UCBD.

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j

waywt1004816rk8.jpg

Thank you gentlemen.

Why am I Mr. Pink?

Con Biz Dresser

Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
waywt1004816rk8.jpg

J., I don't know how anyone could get the idea that conservative business dress has anything to do with a monochrome look, and while what you are wearing looks nice I think it would be better suited for a funeral or maybe a nice bar but at the office I think it would stand-out for its lack of color and could even be associated with some underground movement as strange as that might sound.

Con Biz Dresser

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton

I'd say, overall, a solid B+! Definitely Conservative Business Dress. Could be toned down a tad, but you are well on your way to true UCBD.

Manton, I think you should take a long look at the jacket's shoulders to get a better idea of what I was trying to say earlier today. I hope in the meantime that you didn't pop one of yours when you nearly cracked a rib.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Con Biz Dresser
J., I don't know how anyone could get the idea that conservative business dress has anything to do with a monochrome look, and while what you are wearing looks nice I think it would be better suited for a funeral or maybe a nice bar but at the office I think it would stand-out for its lack of color and could even be associated with some underground movement as strange as that might sound.

Yeah, you might as well be going to a meeting for Operation Mayhem.

Don't use the soap.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Hmm. Thanks for the input guys. I will try better tomorrow. BTW Manton, it is lighter weight worsted flannel, not woolen flannel. It's still cold here. Is that okay? Mainly I wanted the dull finish so I would not reflect any light into the eyes of my superiors or colleagues.

Is a blue shirt okay? I don't think I have a white one with a pointier collar.

And I will find a more contemporary tie as well. What colors are okay again? Obviously, plain fabric with a print of some sort. Thanks.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And while we're at it, what kind of pistol does the conservative business dress carry? I would never want to offend anyone with my pistol...

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
ucbdpistolgi4.jpg

Though I think this is really too Eurotrash. Probably a Colt Commander in blue would be better.

Con Biz Dresser

Reaction score
Maybe someone could write a book on what's conservative or not but I personally never meant to make points that were set in stone but rather just offer comments from my own experience in a professional business environment. I realize that everyone is different in their personal taste and comfort level when it comes to dressing for work and I never meant to insult another person's sensibilities on of off the forum. The suggestions I made here I hope were taken as being constructive but in passing. I never assumed that my opinion were necessarily worth all that much to forum members but I still tried to express my own perspective on conservative business attire with sincerity and some level of enthusiasm as the topic interests me, and is something I deal with on a day to day basis.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Staff online

Forum statistics