• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Conservative Business Dress

ted

Reaction score
Oh for god's sake it's not the suit that's important, it's what on the inside that's important.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ted
Oh for god's sake it's not the suit that's important, it's what on the inside that's important.

3075-lg.jpg

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by odoreater
Manton,

Does this outfit qualify as UCBD?

grayhickjn6.jpg

I have to admit, it's pretty damned close. Earlier critics are probably right that pocket flaps are more conservative than besom pockets, so you get a point there. However, I have to deduct a point for the Windsor knot; too much artifice. I can't tell if the tie is woven or not; if so, deduct another point. I suppose that the small amount of color in the tie is acceptable, but it might bump you back down to mere conservative business dress status rather that UCBD. Reds and yellows are thrilling, enlivening, and exciting -- Not Conservative.

zarathustra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Manton,

Does this outfit qualify as UCBD?

grayhickjn6.jpg

Tie is too flashy to be UCBD and there is way to much cuff showing. And again that is a spread collar. Def not UCBD.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
3075-lg.jpg

That makes sense. It is even a good neutral business gray colour!

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ted

Wrong forum. This is the shallow forum where we only care about what's on the outside. I think Dr. Phil has one where they care about the inside.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Wrong forum. This is the shallow forum where we only care about what's on the outside. I think Dr. Phil has one where they care about the inside.

crackup[1].gif

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zarathustra
there is way to much cuff showing. And again that is a spread collar. Def not UCBD.
The excess cuff might be an illusion resulting from the low camera angle. I am giving the benefit of the doubt to the shirt collar, in that it looks more like a medium, centrist, moderate spread than a true spread or (God forbid) cutaway.

ted

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
3075-lg.jpg

Oh crap, now someone's bin steelin' my boxers. Least the shoulder pads in the suit are still there.

summej2

Reaction score

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have to admit, it's pretty damned close. Earlier critics are probably right that pocket flaps are more conservative than besom pockets, so you get a point there. However, I have to deduct a point for the Windsor knot; too much artifice. I can't tell if the tie is woven or not; if so, deduct another point. I suppose that the small amount of color in the tie is acceptable, but it might bump you back down to mere conservative business dress status rather that UCBD. Reds and yellows are thrilling, enlivening, and exciting -- Not Conservative.

The knot is a half windsor, not a full windsor, so I'll take half a point back. The tie is not woven, so I'll take another point there. I will let you know that the cuffs are french cuffs, so I will concede another point, but I will take a half point back because I'm wearing silk knots instead of cufflinks.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I will let you know that the cuffs are french cuffs

Clever the way you tried to hide that. Deceit is NOT CONSERVATIVE. And before anyone goes on a Bush-bashing bender, remember, this thread is NOT ABOUT POLITICS. We are talking about Conservative Business Dress, not Political Conservatism.

but I will take a half point back because I'm wearing silk knots instead of cufflinks
No way, man. It's the cuffs that count. If they're French, they are not conservative. In fact, anything French is not conservative.

ted

Reaction score
In fact, anything French is not conservative.

Isn't that LePen guy conservative. Oh wait that's political......

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Scour this thread for neoligisms. You won't find any. The closest thing was "irrealis," thrown out to impress us by that blowhard Teacher. But it turns out, that's a real word.

Right, like throwing out a five-dollar word like neologism wasn't just to impress us. You don't fool me; I deal with undergrads like you every day.

Originally Posted by Nantucket Red
No more ok than forming plurals with 's !

That's how we form plurals of symbols and abbreviations/initialisms, like VP's. Sheesh.

Originally Posted by zarathustra
While the platypus rocks, it isn't the only mammal that lays eggs.
platypus.jpg

Echidnas actually lay eggs too.

250px-Short-beaked.echidna.arp.jpg

And together they are called monotremes.

Come on, guys. I think it's a bit unfair to take advantage of me for free language work. I'm not Frasier Crane (though I am much more attractive).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 90 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads