• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Post your photography skills! (self-gloss)

EMY

Reaction score
This is from a while ago, but I'll like to share. I was caught off guard hence the off focus.

un5hk.jpg

you can see the shards fly!
bimbl2.jpg

trader

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Szeph el ratón
What kind (mm & f) of lenses do you guys own and really use? I gave back the 50mm I've had borrowed and now I'm not sure if my selection is ideal. Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 (APS-C only) Tamron 90mm f/2.8 Macro I was now considering to sell my Tamron 17-50 and get something with EF mount (so I can also use it on the EOS 3) to cover the wide angle. I looked at a lot of stuff and ran into some problems. Basically my priorities are somewhere between f/1.8 - f/4 (I really dislike using flash), preferably USM. IS is a plus but not necessary. If I look at primes that leaves me with Canon EF 28mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 35mm f/2 Considering zooms I looked at Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8 L USM (ridiculously expensive) Canon EF 17-40mm f/4 L USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM (very expensive again) Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L USM (once more exceeding what I'd want to spend) I'd like to have as few lenses as possible as I take my DSLR on journeys but I feel like that collides with what I like to do. For the money one of the quality zooms costs me I could pick up the 28mm f/1.8 and the 70-200mm f/4 together. I guess the cheapest and most reasonable idea would be to go with: Canon EOS 3 + 85mm f/1.8 + 28mm f/1.8 Canon EOS 500D + 17-50mm f/2.8
If you don't mind manual focus then I'd consider the Zeiss 35 f/2 ZE for canon. That'll work on both your cameras and give a nice 50mm FOV for your 500D. It's my favorite walk around lens and only costs $1000. It'll look amazing on film, and excellent on a crop. And it's just a joy to use. The full metal body has such a smooth focusing ring and the build quality makes "L" lenses look like toys.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by il ciclista
the 35 for sure. It does pretty well all around..some shots I can't get indoors with the 50
The reason why I'd hate getting the 35mm is that I'd question why I settled with the 50mm for so f'ing long...
laugh.gif

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My 24mm f2.8 came in today!

Szeph el raton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by trader
If you don't mind manual focus then I'd consider the Zeiss 35 f/2 ZE for canon. That'll work on both your cameras and give a nice 50mm FOV for your 500D. It's my favorite walk around lens and only costs $1000. It'll look amazing on film, and excellent on a crop. And it's just a joy to use. The full metal body has such a smooth focusing ring and the build quality makes "L" lenses look like toys.
While the image quality surely is stellar, I don't think I'd want to live without autofocus.

I guess I'll try to live a while with the Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 on the 500D and the 85mm f/1.8 on the 3, then I'll see what I need. The 1k+ L lenses are too expensive for me and the 17-40 is perhaps too slow at f/4 even though I could afford it, I will test that by shooting the Tamron at f/4 - 5.6 for a while.

While 28, 30 or 35mm prime is really great, somehow I feel like it might not be wide enough when doing cityscapes (which is what I mainly do when traveling).

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TRINI
My 24mm f2.8 came in today!

Originally Posted by EMY
It's been 4 hours; post some pics already!

Originally Posted by il ciclista
+1 where's the pics? How's it compare to the 35mm?

I struggle with taking pictures of things I don't find interesting. I'll try to take some landscape shots with it and post.

I actually have a 50mm so in comparison, obviously you can fit more into the frame.

trader

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Szeph el ratón
While the image quality surely is stellar, I don't think I'd want to live without autofocus. I guess I'll try to live a while with the Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 on the 500D and the 85mm f/1.8 on the 3, then I'll see what I need. The 1k+ L lenses are too expensive for me and the 17-40 is perhaps too slow at f/4 even though I could afford it, I will test that by shooting the Tamron at f/4 - 5.6 for a while. While 28, 30 or 35mm prime is really great, somehow I feel like it might not be wide enough when doing cityscapes (which is what I mainly do when traveling).
Ya, those won't be wide enough. There aren't any EF lenses wide enough for crop except the 17-40 and 16-35 but I don't think those are good choices considering a 17-55 2.8 IS and sigma 17-50 2.8 are much better value and offer more range and IS. Just won't work on the EOS 3 though. There's only 1 solution. Go full frame
smile.gif
Though, there is a new lens I bought recently that you could maybe consider. It's made by Samyang (a korean company) and is rebranded by some companies here like Bower and Rokinon. It's a 14 mm 2.8 ultra wide angle made for full frame (not fish eye). It's manual focus though, which isn't really a big deal because I usually just set it at f/11 and focus at 2 metres and fire away and get everything in focus. It's only 400 dollars and it blows away the canon 14mm L and 16-35 2.8 at a fraction of the price. Would be plenty wide on the 500D too. Here's an example of how wide it is on fullframe. It blows my mind that wide open it's sharp corner to corner and there's no chromatic abberations, 2 things that are weaknesses for UWAs. IMG_5626 by table4one?, on Flickr

Szeph el raton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I've ordered the Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 , should arrive later today or tomorrow. It's APS-C only but according to all the sources in the Internet you can use it at 16mm on full frame without vignetting. So I have a mini-zoom wide angle on my 500D and a 16mm prime on my 3. Hopefully the f/2.8 will help when shooting in the evening on vacation.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads