• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you re-rack your weights when you finish with a piece of equipment?

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
If it's a rule in the gym, absolutely, and I'll tell anyone who leaves theirs on to de-rack. They've always been very polite in going back and de-racking.

Lagrangian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, of course. My gym is really small so if ppl leave all their **** on the floor or whatnot it's a real pain to lift there. It's really just common courtesy though to put the stuff one uses back in its place.

Rangoon

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Waistcoat
Always. What also really pisses me off is when people don't put their plates back on the tree properly either, so I have to remove and re rack 4 20kg plates to get to the 10kg plate that should have been on the higher peg.

This.

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Almost always re-rack weights/plates properly. Only time I don't is if on a leg press I'll leave a 45 on each side and sometimes in a squat rack I'll deload down to 135.

yjeezle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Always. What also really pisses me off is when people don't put their plates back on the tree properly either, so I have to remove and re rack 4 20kg plates to get to the 10kg plate that should have been on the higher peg.

this for sure and the aforementioned grunting makes me
ffffuuuu.gif

when you grunt all the time... it's like calm down brah.

fuji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Im gonna go against the trend in this thread and say I don't. Know one else does so when im taking off some huge guys 300kg off the bar im not gonna take my plates off so he doesn't have to next time. I put dumbbells back on the rack, but they're not in any particular order so I just put them where theres a space. I grunt on all my compounds and olys I don't know how you can't, how do you do deads or like a c&j without grunting. If I didn't grunt I don't know if I would be able to lift explosively.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
GymChav!

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I always re-rack to the point where I'm afraid to walk away for too long between sets lest I be perceived by the staff as one of those assholes who doesn't re-rack.

marg

Reaction score
i rerack my weights, and i comment to others as well. no need to get intimidated by the big guys in the gym - tell them to re-rack their weights. what are they gonna do, fight you? don't be silly.

also, i sometimes make noise on the heaviest of lifts because it helps force out the rep. i don't understand why people do this consistently to get attention. there's a gym near where i work that i heard has a noise meter, and if you go over it, your membership can be revoked. wtf?

Tastethesoup

Reaction score
Originally Posted by marg
there's a gym near where i work that i heard has a noise meter, and if you go over it, your membership can be revoked. wtf?

I find this unlikely, but it would be kickass if true. At my current gym, I've overheard a trainer playfully laughing at a client who was loudly grunting. It seems some people simply don't know better.

Lagrangian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cunning47
I find this unlikely, but it would be kickass if true. At my current gym, I've overheard a trainer playfully laughing at a client who was loudly grunting. It seems some people simply don't know better.

If this is the 'lunk alarm' -type that Planet Fatness currently uses, it is ******* idiotic. In my book if you pull 600lb you sure as hell can grunt as well. Though if one screams their heads off while squatting the bar, well that's another matter entirely.

Cool The Kid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Well I think this depends on the gym.

I have worked out at 5 gyms so far. Only one of them was at all consistent in putting weights where they belonged, and it just happened to be in the middle of Chelsea
lol8[1].gif
But when I worked out at that gym I put the weights back where they belonged.... it was easy as it was already an established system.

Originally Posted by fuji
I grunt on all my compounds and olys I don't know how you can't, how do you do deads or like a c&j without grunting. If I didn't grunt I don't know if I would be able to lift explosively.
*cues up thousands of YT vids of dudes lifting 2x what fuji does without yelling and screaming*

Next time you go to the gym try not grunting. See if it really affects your lifts like you claim it would.

Majerle

Reaction score
Originally Posted by fuji
I grunt on all my compounds and olys I don't know how you can't, how do you do deads or like a c&j without grunting. If I didn't grunt I don't know if I would be able to lift explosively.

LIGHT WEIGHT!! YEAHHH BUDDY!

At a health club or any commercial/chain gym, you should always re-rack your weights.

If its a hole in the wall gyms or whatever, just follow the norm.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads