Do you re-rack your weights when you finish with a piece of equipment?

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by resartus, Jun 24, 2011.

1. Kajak

Kajak Senior member

Two gyms I use: Always everything is reracked. Never have benches/bars stolen from me or anything, nor the awkward pause to figure it out if its in use.
    (One is a big campus gym, the other is a small private athletic gym, so its only impressive for the one)

Other gym I use: Nothing ever reracked. Never sure if stuff is in use. People start using my bar if I get water. I still put my shit away though.

2. pronov

pronov Active Member

LIGHT WEIGHT!! YEAHHH BUDDY!

Thumbs up for the Ronnie Coleman reference. I love watching those videos before I go workout to pysche myself up. [​IMG]

3. alan

alan Senior member

I put dumbbells back in their spots but i dont re-rack the weight plates. Nor do i expect others to. Obviously if next guy cant carry the 20 kg plate ill help them out but thats never happened.

Not that big of a deal having to handle weights in the gym, really.

4. BBSLM

BBSLM Senior member

I re-rack, always, because I'm not a jackass.

5. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Senior member

A real driver of proper etiquette is the general feel of the gym. I have worked out in some real shitholes and some nice places. People just follow whatever tone is set I think.

6. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

Funny. We have a women triathlete in our gum, in her 40's, about 5 '2. She'll call those guys out, and they'll run back and unload the bar or machine. She's also great for messing with those guys that have to make with the loud grunts and screams to make sure everyone is watching. She just asks " if they need help delivering that baby, sounds like twins"
    I never got the grunting. You are not Bruce Lee fighting someone trying to psych them out. Once in a blue moon if I'm really pushing the final weight, I might making a 'grunting' noise, but unless you are right next to me, you won't hear me, unlike the other assholes that I have heard from the next floor up. That's right, they grunt that loudly.
    I'm going to try this quote next time Sir Gruntsalot shows up at my local gym. Throws six plates on either side of the bench and then shouts to high heaven as he does 1-2 reps. Will then proceed to get up and pace around the gym heaving for air, like some caged predator. Then proceeds to call everyone in the gym "bro," speaking to complete strangers as if they were drinking buddies. Maybe I'll try bottling his all leftover sweat and sell it as pure Eau de Douche.

7. fuji

fuji Senior member

GymChav!

You've been to my gym, everyones a Gymchav. Open discussion of what steriod cycles they're using, some drug dealing, this big guy who always used to spot me got arrested and everyones upset he can't come anymore, most of the people they're are bouncers or construction workers so its pretty rough.

8. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

Well I think this depends on the gym.

I have worked out at 5 gyms so far. Only one of them was at all consistent in putting weights where they belonged, and it just happened to be in the middle of Chelsea [​IMG] But when I worked out at that gym I put the weights back where they belonged.... it was easy as it was already an established system.

I work out in the UES, everyone is so fucking entitled that they can't be bothered to out the weights back.

9. jarude

jarude Senior member

In my gym, it's usually the god damn "trainers" leaving their plates on the bar...

Last commercial gym I was at, this was the case.

Also, only acceptable instance of leaving weights racked is leaving 1 plate on the leg press. Old ladies can leg press 1 plate.

10. Costanza

Costanza Senior member

+1

11. Majerle

Majerle Member

The worst is when dickheads leave 100lb plates on the leg press.

Becomes an issue when people (women) then ask for your help when they want to use it and you "get" to take them off.

12. thekunk07

thekunk07 Senior member

i have never used a towel or re-racked. fuck all of you. i will de-load the bench to 225 but that should be standard or you should go home anyway

13. unjung

unjung Senior member

i have never used a towel or re-racked. fuck all of you. i will de-load the bench to 225 but that should be standard or you should go home anyway

This is fine with me. I can't do 225lbs but to get to what I can do only requires a minimal amount of work. Taking every plate off is a waste.

I also wipe before I start, not when I'm done, typically. This is logical. Since many others don't wipe after, I think the practice should be to wipe before you start. If everyone did this, everyone would always have a clean machine. No need to wipe afterward.

14. jarude

jarude Senior member

i dont come into your house, shit in your toilet, and not flush it

15. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

I always re-rack dumbells. Rarely re-rack plates. No one would dare call me out.