• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

liquid plumber/drano

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I believe they have worked for me in the past, just let it sit for a while after you pour. I get the pourable gel liquid, which costs a little more I think.

Shoe-nut

Reaction score
A cheap snake from the hardware in far better than those crappy products. They only work about 25% of time on the not so serious problems. A snake almost never lets you down.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Liquid plumber and draino mostly just dissolve soap scum. Generally they are fairly poor at attacking hair clogs (probably the main issue in a bathroom sink or tub)

1: open up the p-trap under your sink, should just be couple of nuts and washers holding it on. It's probably full of crap. You can either take it outside, and shake it out/blow it out with a hose, or dig the gross clog out with a stick.

2: if the trap is clear, and the drain is still slow/clogged, get a pipe snake and snake your wall drain when the p-trap is removed. You can get a cheap pipe snake for like $10 at Home Depot.

If you absolutely must not get your hands dirty:

Go to Home Depot, and look for 10 minute hair clog remover. Barring that, buy the stuff that comes in a bottle that comes inside a clear PVC bag. That stuff is so potent that eventually it eats through the bottle, which is why the bag is there. If the bottle bursts, we know the bag will hold out long enough for someone to notice and dispose of the product. Follow the directions, and don't get any on your skin or in your eyes. Pray that you have a hair, soap, and grease clog, and that its not a root intrusion or anything else that chemicals won't fix. Cause then what happens is that you have a drain full of caustic lye that you are going to have to roto-root through with a drain snake. Which means you'll probably get it on you.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
Liquid plumber and draino mostly just dissolve soap scum. Generally they are fairly poor at attacking hair clogs (probably the main issue in a bathroom sink or tub)

1: open up the p-trap under your sink, should just be couple of nuts and washers holding it on. It's probably full of crap. You can either take it outside, and shake it out/blow it out with a hose, or dig the gross clog out with a stick.

2: if the trap is clear, and the drain is still slow/clogged, get a pipe snake and snake your wall drain when the p-trap is removed. You can get a cheap pipe snake for like $10 at Home Depot.

If you absolutely must not get your hands dirty:

Go to Home Depot, and look for 10 minute hair clog remover. Barring that, buy the stuff that comes in a bottle that comes inside a clear PVC bag. That stuff is so potent that eventually it eats through the bottle, which is why the bag is there. If the bottle bursts, we know the bag will hold out long enough for someone to notice and dispose of the product. Follow the directions, and don't get any on your skin or in your eyes. Pray that you have a hair, soap, and grease clog, and that its not a root intrusion or anything else that chemicals won't fix. Cause then what happens is that you have a drain full of caustic lye that you are going to have to roto-root through with a drain snake. Which means you'll probably get it on you.

i'll try the draino first, and if that doesn't work, i'll start unscrewing things under the sink. i have 3 seperate tubes that connect to each other, and eventually to the wall pipe. the first 2 are straight and the last one makes sort of U shape. is that the p-trap? or i could just disassemble the whole thing. it's only 3 pieces.

thanks.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by matadorpoeta
i'll try the draino first, and if that doesn't work, i'll start unscrewing things under the sink. i have 3 seperate tubes that connect to each other, and eventually to the wall pipe. the first 2 are straight and the last one makes sort of U shape. is that the p-trap? or i could just disassemble the whole thing. it's only 3 pieces. thanks.
Yeah the curvy peice is the p-trap.
mtn-ptrap-mt302x.jpg

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
If you open that thing up and you've never done it before, be prepared to retch. I have a very strong stomach, but the inside of a drain in a rented place (i.e., other people's... detritus) just about made me lose my cookies when I cleaned out my last apartment's sink.

Also, if it's not obvious, get some crappy towels and a tub or something to catch what comes out.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
Yeah the curvy peice is the p-trap.
mtn-ptrap-mt302x.jpg

thanks. i'm on it.
Originally Posted by j
Also, if it's not obvious, get some crappy towels and a tub or something to catch what comes out.
thanks for that. that had not occured to me though it may be obvious. p.s. i'm digging the multi-quote feature.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
If you open that thing up and you've never done it before, be prepared to retch. I have a very strong stomach, but the inside of a drain in a rented place (i.e., other people's... detritus) just about made me lose my cookies when I cleaned out my last apartment's sink.

Way to go dude... you totally ruined my suprise.

:p

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I used to employ Drano crystals, every week. Worked so well. The crystals are no longer available, at least not around these parts. The way to use any drain opener, is BEFORE your drain gets clogged. Once it's blocked, I haven't found these store bought products to be effective. Prevention, is the way to go.

I do own a snake; it's helpful. But in the future, remember to use liquid Drano or LP, once a week to keep your drains running clear. Do not wait for another clog.

Bona Drag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If by "work" you mean "get you high as a motherfuckin' kite on two huffs", then
nod[1].gif

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Also keep in mind that Drano and it's ilk do as much damage to your pipes as they help. Tokyo's advice is best. I would add to go with the PVC p traps and pipes and replace the ones that are currently clogged. The PVC require no cutting, soldering or anything and are very easy to take apart if the need arises due to a clog.

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another thing that works well is to plunge the clogged drain just as you would a toilet. Fill the tub with water and use short vigorous plunging motions; works like a charm for most clogs.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads