• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBurnOut

Reaction score
I'll take the PL tie if you think it's that ugly.

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ That Talbott is an interesting spin on the Trad GTH tie. I have never seen one like that before.

Xenos

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ChetBakerSings
The biggest problem with it is that it's 4 5/8 inches wide. I'll hold on to it, though, and maybe get it slimmed eventually.

I have a few of those ties. Bought them years ago and just wore one for the first time recently. Took me a while to work up the courage. Unless you're accustomed to 2.75" ties, they don't look that wide. If you wear it, make sure you pair it with a jacket with wider lapels.

SimonC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I kopped three on eBay recently for under $10 each. They're fine if you keep your jacket buttoned.

Bringing things back on track, this weeks' purchases:

- Caraceni bespoke evening suit (not my size sadly)
- Connock & Lockie bespoke black velvet jacket (amazing silk-mix velvet)
- Stunning conservative business dress Marinella tie

Originally Posted by Xenos
I have a few of those ties. Bought them years ago and just wore one for the first time recently. Took me a while to work up the courage. Unless you're accustomed to 2.75" ties, they don't look that wide. If you wear it, make sure you pair it with a jacket with wider lapels.

inimitable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SimonC
I kopped three on eBay recently for under $10 each. They're fine if you keep your jacket buttoned.

Bringing things back on track, this weeks' purchases:

- Caraceni bespoke evening suit (not my size sadly)
- Connock & Lockie bespoke black velvet jacket (amazing silk-mix velvet)
- Stunning conservative business dress Marinella tie

Awesome. Where do you find stuff like this?

Navi

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheWGP
Bill's Khakis, waist 32... in M3 fit. Never seen M3 before, even at stores that stock Bills - wish they were my size so I could try the M3 out.
frown.gif

What is this M3 you speak of? Slim/baggy? If they're slim I'm interested!

RedRaider

Reaction score
Motherload Alert

At least for me - I love the feeling when you find one quality shirt in your size and then the next one on the rack is the same maker/different design/your size and then the next one and the next one and soon you realize you've lucked out and found a 'mass' donation.

I found 11 button down shirts in my size this evening - all different styles, colors and patterns that are perfect for me as a young professional. All new or near new - no stains, tears, rips, etc. 10 Brooks Brothers classics (whites, plaids, button collars, spread, etc) and 1 Robert Talbott.

They all looked like they came from the cleaners where someone forgot them. Either way, wow. I know Brooks Brothers may not be like the Zegna or Canali shirts I find, but for everyday wear and tear, I just added to my closet and it cost me less than $35 (this price was for 11 shirts and 1 pair of Cole Haan shoes).

Pictures coming soon!

jpc1766

Reaction score
Originally Posted by RedRaider
Motherload Alert

At least for me - I love the feeling when you find one quality shirt in your size and then the next one on the rack is the same maker/different design/your size and then the next one and the next one and soon you realize you've lucked out and found a 'mass' donation.

I know the feeling. Way to go! Great deal, too.

Question for the gallery: I came upon a bunch (dozen or so) of older "Robert Talbott for...[random men's store]" vintage (i.e. skinny-ish) ties in very good condition earlier but passed as they simply weren't for me. Are those something of value, you think? Mostly regimentals.

csoukoulis

Reaction score
Posting from my phone right now. The old lady is hogging the laptop, but I have had quite the thrifting day today. Pics this evening hopefully.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads