Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

Advice question:

I know I see complaints sometimes about people trying to market their narrow width shoes somewhat deceptively because narrow widths are often harder to move. This makes me think if I'm buying a pair of shoes to flip, narrow widths should make me more hesitant to do so. What do people think is the practical cut off? Is a B width OK, whereas an A is too narrow to be sure you can sell?

I'm asking because I could pick up a pair of shoes with very little wear in 10B, shell cordovan, but they would not be the standard $20 thrift shoe. Is this practical, or would you think I'd only break even or profit so narrowly that it wouldn't be worth the trouble.

Didn't want to post an interest check because I can't put up enough photos or anything to satisfy a lot of people. Really more interested in general principles anyway. Thanks.

I at one point had a decent pair of shoes in a 10B that I couldn't give away. I wouldn't waste time and money picking them up.

3. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

^^ Same experience. A new pair of Burgandy Allen Edmonds Graysons. 10B. A pair of 10Ds went for $150. Mine went for $16. [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Just got back from a road trip to Kentucky... came away with three observations: 1) the average dress down there - or at least what ends up at thrift/consignment - is much better 2) there are TONS of shops! And they're relatively close together! Holy cow! 3) #1 and #2 = slow but steady finds! Here's the list: .......................... ...................................... .............................................
    You may have to make this road trip more often! As for me, I had a few cool finds today: - Copper Moncler down jacket. Sz 4 (L) - White Armani Black Label (recent) dress shirt - NWT Talbott BOC (Recent Carmel line) tie. - Recent Zegna tie

4. Patrologia

Patrologia Senior member

I at one point had a decent pair of shoes in a 10B that I couldn't give away. I wouldn't waste time and money picking them up.

^^ Same experience. A new pair of Burgandy Allen Edmonds Graysons. 10B. A pair of 10Ds went for $150. Mine went for $16. [​IMG] [​IMG]

Yeah, I think this one will be a pass, thanks for the advice and experience (thanks again to Achilles as well). Makes me wish I had narrow feet rather than somewhat wide. My E width never really seems to sell for much less (if any less) than standard D. [​IMG]

5. rfd515

rfd515 Member

The woven In Italy, made in USA shirts are pretty nice. I think BB stuff can be very good utilitarian pieces for the thrifter, particularly the beginning thrifter.

If I find a BB shirt in good shape that fits, I call it a good find for me personally. I'll gladly wear a BB shirt and Allen Edmonds shoes all day long without complaint.

Half of the stuff in this thread that's labeled average or below is much nicer than what 99% of the men I've worked with wore regularly.

6. An Ex Parrot

An Ex Parrot Active Member

Here's a question: I picked up a pair of AEs recently at SA. They're in good shape but they have the damn price written on the leather sole in what appears to be marker. Anyone have experience removing such things? I don't want to ruin the soles, but I also don't want to walk around with the price visible whenever I cross my leg. Or take a step.

Thanks,

AEP

7. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

Yeah, this question has come up a few times...

The consensus is that a hardy scrubdown with water and soap should do the trick; this has been my experience as well. I suppose if you run into some really stubborn ink, you could also just let the shoe polish run across that spot. Maybe not the best look for a sole, but at least it's pretty common. [​IMG]

8. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Senior member

Just got back from a road trip to Kentucky...
    Great post and great finds. I always enjoy the trip reports when one goes into a new area.

9. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

For removing prices on the bottom of shoes, try lighter fluid on a paper towel. Baby wipes can also work with some elbow grease if you have those around.

As for narrow shoes, if you come across something outstanding in 9.5B keep me in mind. But generally it's unwise to get anything narrrower than a C width. You just can't move them.

10. matstyleku

matstyleku Senior member

After being out of country for a while, finally had a chance to go thrifting while picking up some furniture:

My size:
    - Levi Strauss Two Horse brown jeans
    - Zegna by Incotex gray trousers
    - Etro tie
    - 3 BB slim fit shirts (although I'm questioning the fit of slim fit and think I need extra slim fit)
    - Paul Fredrick sweater (I just liked the style)

Passed on:
    - Facconable by Incotex pants (not my size)
    - Zaharoff pants not my size, looked like incotex as well
    - Slew of Zanella pants
    - bunch of BB suits in 42R (not my size and not fully canvassed)
    - bunch of Floreshiem imperials that were not my size
    - AE shoes not my size
    - M&S ties
    - Trafalgar burgundy belt (had a scratch, but if my size, I would have purchased)

One i might go back for is -a fully canvassed HF suit made with Loro Piana fabric. How good is the fabric? The suit seemed like it would fit my dad being his size, but since he wasn't there I didn't want to chance it.

11. TheODGuy

TheODGuy Senior member

One i might go back for is -a fully canvassed HF suit made with Loro Piana fabric. How good is the fabric? The suit seemed like it would fit my dad being his size, but since he wasn't there I didn't want to chance it.

I saw the same exact suit.... 38R? Right? Double pleated pants? About 30 bucks? I had to pass.

12. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

Here's a question: I picked up a pair of AEs recently at SA. They're in good shape but they have the damn price written on the leather sole in what appears to be marker. Anyone have experience removing such things? I don't want to ruin the soles, but I also don't want to walk around with the price visible whenever I cross my leg. Or take a step.
    Thanks,
    AEP

Varsol, Paint Thinner, Mineral Spirits or Acetone ...and do it outdoors (dangerous fumes) wearing thick rubber gloves.

But generally it's unwise to get anything narrrower than a C width. You just can't move them quickly.

FTFY (respectfully)
    Narrow widths are in demand or they wouldn't make them. If your intention is to flip you'll have to be patient, The buyers are out there.

13. antirabbit

antirabbit Senior member

After being out of country for a while, finally had a chance to go thrifting while picking up some furniture:

My size:
    - Levi Strauss Two Horse brown jeans
    - Zegna by Incotex gray trousers
    - Etro tie
    - 3 BB slim fit shirts (although I'm questioning the fit of slim fit and think I need extra slim fit)
    - Paul Fredrick sweater (I just liked the style)

Passed on:
    - Facconable by Incotex pants (not my size)
    - Zaharoff pants not my size, looked like incotex as well
    - Slew of Zanella pants
    - bunch of BB suits in 42R (not my size and not fully canvassed)
    - bunch of Floreshiem imperials that were not my size
    - AE shoes not my size
    - M&S ties
    - Trafalgar burgundy belt (had a scratch, but if my size, I would have purchased)

Welcome Back!!!! Those brown jeans were still there?

14. jkidd41011

jkidd41011 Senior member

Thanks,

AEP

I've had good luck using the clorox wipes. They use the silver markers around here and it takes that off.

15. otc

otc Senior member

Scored a Cuisinart for $20. The unit itself shows little sign of use and I have been wanting one for a while. The color scheme makes it look modern (it is the DLC-10 model that has been made for a long time in the same shape...but it used to have ugly brown plastic parts)

It came in a box with 2.5 sets of cutting/grating wheels--one set of older japanese made ones (you can just feel the quality vs the chinese parts), a set of modern ones with the removable spindle, and an extra grater.
    Two food bowls (but only one lid),
    2 dough blades
    2 normal blades (but one of them is slightly too large to fit...)
    set of spatulas and cleaning brushes
    dust cover.

The blades/attachments all show no signs of use at all. I'll sell the japanese attachments and extra blades/bowl on ebay (even though the Chinese ones are lower quality, I like that they are collapsible) and hopefully the thing will pay for itself.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.