• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The 100 Best Tailors in America

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by reidrothchild
I've had good experiences working with Anthony Paranzino of Charleston, West Virginia who posts here as Tony the Tailor. I believe he does bespoke, though I've only ever used him for MTM.

I believe Tony's suits are made by English-American.

officeboy

Reaction score
It is a lot slower forum then this but you might try cutterandtailor.com They have a directory also.

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Harvard square landmark in Boston: J Press. They have a tailor at the back named Tad and he does excellent work. I think he's Polish, so he has a very long last name I can't pronounce or spell. J Press was the store featured in the movie Twenty One (the one about MIT kids counting cards for blackjack or some stupid gambling game) where the main character worked there part time. http://www.yelp.com/biz/j-press-cambridge go to the yelp reviews and search for the term 'tad' you'll find laudatory praise for his "flawless, excellent work" if Tad doesn't make it into the top 100, I will be very disappointed!

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
For bespoke in Massachusetts, Rizzo's of Harvard Square.

ALso, Raymond on Federal Street in Boston.

BBC

Reaction score
No. 99
Tailor-Shop.jpg

OxxfordSJLINY

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Despos
What you will find is "tailor" of the era we are in is more MTM than made in house type of custom work that most will think of when they think of a tailor. The CTDA did a survey in the late 80's early 90's of shops across the country offering custom clothing or clothing made to order. Less than 5% of the shops said they made the clothing on site, everything else was sent to a third party CTM house for manufacturing. Don't misinterpret what I am saying. Custom tailors are fewer than ever and replenishment is slow to nonexistent. With the demise of true custom makers the custom clothing realm absorbs the current methods (MTM) and "Custom tailor" defines a new breed of tailor or the "tailor" of the era. Clothing made by utilizing tape measure skills over pattern making, cutting and sewing. 50 years from now when you are scanned and clothing is totally created by computerized machinery the MTM guys will be saying the same thing. Like I said, I am not bashing anyone, just an observation of the state of things as I see it.
Fortunately, this is hardly the case in Italy (where the vast majority-90-95% of bespoke tailors are true bespoke tailors-actually, the truest bespoke tailors in every sense of the words). Italy currently has more true bespoke-actually, more in the way of the truest bespoke tailors than every other country in the world.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by OxxfordSJLINY
Fortunately, this is hardly the case in Italy (where the vast majority-90-95% of bespoke tailors are true bespoke tailors-actually, the truest bespoke tailors in every sense of the words). Italy currently has more true bespoke tailors than every other country in the world.

Nice to know you are still around OxxfordSJLINY, thank you for your comments.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Achilles_
Of course my state doesn't have a name on that list
censored.gif

Come ... come to the world of civilization. It awaits you.

David Reeves

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Coburn
You should go back to your editor and tell him he's missed the basic theme of the story.

High-end men's tailoring is fading away. Tailoring as an art is disappearing.

When you conduct your interviews, note the average age.

That's the story.

We are training tailors now. My top Bespoke maker Rory Duffy is 28 I am 31which works for us and against us at times. We have both been in the business since we where 19 but people imagine tailors to be ancient.

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RSS
Come ... come to the world of civilization. It awaits you.

Someday I will return. (if Minneapolis/St Paul counts)

I travel a lot anyway
thumbs-up.gif

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Another in LA is Bill Cairo Custom Tailor in San Marino. The shop is run by the son, Joe, who handles all the alterations. Bill still measures and cuts for the bespoke work (according to Joe.)

G

Griffindork

For my money, the best alteration tailor in NYC is Bhambi. Although significantly more expensive than the other tailors I use (and I generally use LNC), Bhambi always suggests and additional tweak or two that ends up making the final product superior to what I had imagined. You can buy a kiton jacket for $1000 at century 21 and spend $500 to have Bhambi tailor it, and you've come out with a bargain.

A

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads