1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was. I'd like to keep you abreast of the improvements we've made over the past few days.
    @notification emails have been added, in response to user requests

Attached images are now Full Size by default

Users are now all allowed three (3) links in their signature files,

SSL certification is now in place so you can all browse securely.

The server has been reconfigured so that site speeds will improve.

Notice: Right now the site is slow because we are fixing all the images from the past 4 months. Many of you noticed that these were missing, and we are fixing that problem now. Unfortunately, it is taking up a lot of resources and causing the site to be slow.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The 100 Best Tailors in America

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by DavidWatts, Jun 7, 2011.

1. stant62

stant62 Well-Known Member

Just want to second LNC in New York and Rizzo's in Harvard Sq.

2. TonyThe Tailor

TonyThe Tailor Well-Known Member

I believe Tony's suits are made by English-American.

The H. Freeman suits I sell are English/American. I also do in house bespoke, in house MTM and Oxxford.
    Plus I do outside men's and women's alterations.

3. mr.orange

mr.orange Well-Known Member

Robet T. Cantu
    Cantu Tailors
    Custom Clothes & Alterations

6053 Sherry Lane
    Dallas, Texas 75225
    tel: (214)739-3190

Been in business since 1960, makes bespoke suits, his father is a master tailor and has served as his teacher. Guy's real nice and knows his shit.

OP can you make "The 100 Worst Tailors in America" thread? Thanks.

4. KObalto

KObalto Well-Known Member

The H. Freeman suits I sell are English/American. I also do in house bespoke, in house MTM and Oxxford.
    Plus I do outside men's and women's alterations.

My apologies. I didn't realize you also did house bespoke and MTM. I always appreciate your input here and am sorry I posted incorrect info. [​IMG]

5. TonyThe Tailor

TonyThe Tailor Well-Known Member

My apologies. I didn't realize you also did house bespoke and MTM. I always appreciate your input here and am sorry I posted incorrect info. [​IMG]

No sweat. [​IMG]
    I try to have something for everyone. Bespoke is 10% of my business as MTM actually covers most everybody's needs. The difference is when an actual tailor who has cutting experience is measuring you for MTM over a salesperson.

6. pickpackpockpuck

pickpackpockpuck Well-Known Member

Hi guys,

Thanks so much for all your help. I really appreciate it.

Quick request: I think we have a great, diverse list of custom/MTM tailors going here. But I suspect that I'll need to round it out with more tailors who excel at alterations.

If you have any additional recommendations on that front--i.e., tailors who can be trusted to alter a suit or shirt--please send them along.

Thanks again,
    Andrew

You may already have Wilfred's in NYC on your list (his name was mentioned in here), but I've gotten some really great alterations done by him. In particular I picked up a pair of navy Dries Van Noten pants some months back that were on deep discount. They were a size too small and were particularly snug in the thighs, but I loved the fabric (and price) and thought a tailor could make them work. Wilfred let out the waist, and they needed to be hemmed as well, so he used the fabric cut from the leg and inserted a tapered strip of it from the crotch a few inches down the inseam to create some room in the thighs. The job was flawless. You can see the triangular inserts in the crotch if you look up close, but because the fabric is so dark they're practically invisible otherwise.

Also, one way to find some recommendations is to call up stores and ask who they send their stuff to. I needed the sleeves shortened from the shoulder (because of functional buttonholes) on a John Varvatos jacket once so I called the SoHo store and asked where they send their stuff when they need tailoring. They sent me to Ramon's on Mulberry, I believe, just off Houston, who did a really great job.

7. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

Isn't this just going to be "The 100 tailors in America"?

8. ykurtz

ykurtz Well-Known Member

The list may be filled out by people who's last name is actually spelled (or misspelled) 'Tailor'.

9. mr.orange

mr.orange Well-Known Member

The list may be filled out by people who's last name is actually spelled (or misspelled) 'Tailor'.

[​IMG]

10. comrade

comrade Well-Known Member

San Francisco Bay Area- Peninsula

Two comments from an earlier post:

1. Stay away from Jon Minor in SF. He ruined a pair of slacks I gave him about ten years ago.

2. My tailor is in Menlo Park and is recommended by other forum members too:

Bob Stankovic

650-323-9614.

He's the outside tailor for Wilkes Bashford/ Palo Alto
    He's very skilled: modified the shoulders on at least two of my jackets .
    Unless you specify urgency, the work tends to be late.

11. mktitsworth

mktitsworth Well-Known Member

Robet T. Cantu
    Cantu Tailors
    Custom Clothes & Alterations

6053 Sherry Lane
    Dallas, Texas 75225
    tel: (214)739-3190

Been in business since 1960, makes bespoke suits, his father is a master tailor and has served as his teacher. Guy's real nice and knows his shit.

OP can you make "The 100 Worst Tailors in America" thread? Thanks.

I second this. They've both worked on my jackets and the thing I've been most impressed with thus far is their honesty. Great guys.

12. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Well-Known Member

13. Saturdays

Saturdays Well-Known Member

My mother has been my tailor for years, I don't think I trust anyone but her.

14. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

My mother has been my tailor for years, I don't think I trust anyone but her.

Ask her what shoes to wear with a navy suit.

15. thinman

thinman Well-Known Member

Also, one way to find some recommendations is to call up stores and ask who they send their stuff to. I needed the sleeves shortened from the shoulder (because of functional buttonholes) on a John Varvatos jacket once so I called the SoHo store and asked where they send their stuff when they need tailoring. They sent me to Ramon's on Mulberry, I believe, just off Houston, who did a really great job.

To the OP: If you want alterations tailors this is one way to collect information. I would select the Esquire list of best men's stores in the country and ask them who does their alterations.

This is how I found a fantastic alterations tailor in Oklahoma City, by asking the best menswear store in the city (which also happens to be on one of the Esquire lists) who does their alterations. The tailor does meticulous work and even spots things that I miss, including pre-existing alterations done to a jacket I bought from the B&S forum here.

16. Saturdays

Saturdays Well-Known Member

Ask her what shoes to wear with a navy suit.

Hehe, Brown is the color of choice.
    Especially on Suits that are Navy Pin Stripes.
    Even she told me Black is formal with Navy but Brown looks better.

IMO, Brown is the best.

17. Mr. Pink

Mr. Pink Well-Known Member

Romeo Singca, the owner of

Felice Custom Tailors
    7853 Herschel Avenue
    La Jolla, CA 92037
    (858) 454-8205

is a true artist who has made some wonderful pieces for me, including jackets, an overcoat, and a morning coat (tuxedo). I wear the navy blazer he made for me all the time and my MTM Oxxford blazer stays in the closet. Member Full Canvas first recommended him to me. The original opinions of Full Canvas are in this post:

http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...91&postcount=7

Further information, including a post from me, is here:

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...ghlight=singca

Because of Romeo, I no longer buy OTR and recently passed up a Brioni jacket on sale. I visit Romeo whenever I'm in San Diego and conversely I find excuses to visit San Diego so I can visit Romeo (excuses are easy to find since I have a brother in San Diego). It's been 2 years since I've ordered from him, but I'll be in San Diego 2-3 times next Spring, so I'm already planning my next order!

Andrew, you really should visit his shop and see his work close-up.

I'll second this recommendation. I've had lots of alterations done by Romeo. He's also made two jackets for me. Beautiful work, and very reasonable.

18. pvrhye

pvrhye Well-Known Member

I'll second this recommendation. I've had lots of alterations done by Romeo. He's also made two jackets for me. Beautiful work, and very reasonable.

Actually, if this guy can make a morning coat, he's very notable. I don't think it's a common skill in the US.

19. vltsai

vltsai Member

I didn't read through the thread but I'd like to recommend my local tailor, Benny Spatola...charming guy, knows his stuff, and does great, GREAT work! He's been around for a while and his regular customers are definitely a sign of that.

Spatola Tailoring
    1631 W Sunflower Ave
    Santa Ana, CA 92704

20. S. Able

S. Able Well-Known Member

the guys at Montopoli
    Giovani Gagliano
    John Dipetro
    Umberto Pitagoria
    Al Certo
    Nino Caldarone
    Sebastiano Montella