• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks,

I wore it out of the store the day that I had it altered and two guys stopped me to comment on the fit before I got to the door. First time in my LIFE that an African American male told me that he liked what I was wearing!

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
VGOGF.jpg

Check yo' jelly at the do'...

Large, foos!

(Pssst, Dig, nice jacket!)

fistbump.gif

Navi

Reaction score
Found some nice unmarked flannel dark greyish brown trousers today, cuffed them up DIY when I got home. Liking the fit!

100_1141.JPG

100_1138.JPG

csoukoulis

Reaction score
Todays finds Couple Ties by a local high end menswear store and a NWT Vineyard Vines Tie
001.JPG
Cashmere cardigan sweater. No makers tag, but the other 2 tags look familiar. Can anyone help ID this?
002.JPG
003.JPG
Mint Gitman Bros Shirt (i can always use white shirts!)
004.JPG
Peter Millar Sport Shirt Lrg
006.JPG
Vineyard Vines Sport Shirt Med
005.JPG
Thomas Pink 16.5x34
007.JPG
NWT 35/30 (too small for me
frown.gif
...... )Polo Ralph Lauren wool Navy/Green Plaid Pants
008.JPG
Robert Graham Lrg
009.JPG

951socal

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Navi
Found some nice unmarked flannel dark greyish brown trousers today, cuffed them up DIY when I got home. Liking the fit!

100_1141.JPG

100_1138.JPG

clean, very stupid question, but how did you do that work so well?

any steps where you hde the raw edge? how did you get the stitching hidden?

csoukoulis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by 951socal

Interested as well. Maybe i can do this myself and reduce the size of my "needs tailoring" pile

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Just decided to order a can of Barbour's DIY wax and wax my own damn blazer. Will reduce the size of my "needs money" pile.
laugh.gif

csoukoulis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by noobizor
Just decided to order a can of Barbour's DIY wax and wax my own damn blazer. Will reduce the size of my "needs money" pile.
laugh.gif

LOL i bet my pile is bigger than your pile!!!!! When you coming thrifting....Dallas style?

Navi

Reaction score
Originally Posted by 951socal

Luckily these were hemmed up by quite a bit on the inside, which makes it MUCH easier when you go to cuff them. Need to hem them inside by like 1.5x the cuff size you want, so the hem stitches are further inside the pant leg and don't show. I hand stitched each seam, all the way down the cuff.

It's alot more annoying if they aren't hemmed or the hem is too small. Then I have to hem them myself, but still, better than paying my tailor money for something that takes me 20-30 minutes..

Not sure if my post made sense, but say you fold the hem inside 3", then fold it outside 2" for the cuffs, so the hem is still invisible. Thanks though!

shogunate

Reaction score
Hey I'm fairly new but I'm very interested in learning. So what type of thrift stores are you guys going to? Are we talking about goodwill or local shops? Thanks.

rayxlui

Reaction score
Originally Posted by csoukoulis
Todays finds

Cashmere cardigan sweater. No makers tag, but the other 2 tags look familiar. Can anyone help ID this?
002.JPG

003.JPG

G]

Reminds me of Brioni's Made in Italy tag.

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shogunate
Hey I'm fairly new but I'm very interested in learning. So what type of thrift stores are you guys going to? Are we talking about goodwill or local shops? Thanks.
Goodwill and Salvation Army are the two big names with the lowest prices. Some folks here have luck at the stand alone thrift stores that often have a higher end selection but charge a bit/lot more as well. Try a google search for "thrift stores" and see what pops up in your area. Spend some time reading this thread and learn the names of the "braggable" stuff. You'll find Tommy Hilfiger, Ralph Lauren green label and blue label, Banana Republic and J. Crew all day long and unless it's an unusual looking piece, most won't want to see a picture of it no matter how excited you are. When the tag says "Made in Italy", that's what makes everyone swoon! Since you're new here, it can be confusing trying to find threads that will give you good direction regarding clothing choices. If you click on my "~Dig~" signature below, it will take you to a thread where the first post is my "Thread Closet" where I keep some of the threads and links that I have found most useful here on SF. Here's wishing you beginner's luck. Happy hunting!

951socal

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Navi
Luckily these were hemmed up by quite a bit on the inside, which makes it MUCH easier when you go to cuff them. Need to hem them inside by like 1.5x the cuff size you want, so the hem stitches are further inside the pant leg and don't show. I hand stitched each seam, all the way down the cuff.

It's alot more annoying if they aren't hemmed or the hem is too small. Then I have to hem them myself, but still, better than paying my tailor money for something that takes me 20-30 minutes..

Not sure if my post made sense, but say you fold the hem inside 3", then fold it outside 2" for the cuffs, so the hem is still invisible. Thanks though!

puzzled.gif

haha, sounds like its worth giving a shot, one of those makes sense as you try it, curse at it, come back re read what you wrote and then understand it type things

thank you, i will definitely try this on the weekend after finals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads