• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to pre-wash shirt fabric? (CMT related)

msawch

Reaction score
I have several lengths of fabric that I'll eventually take to a shirtmaker to have made up. I have not done CMT with shirts in the past and am wondering if I should pre-wash the fabric - if I were to do so, what would be the best method (washing machine vs. hand wash / air dry vs. machine dry)?

Is there any risk of the edges fraying or other risks I should be aware of - and any methods to mitigate those risks? How many washes would be required to prevent future shrink (I'm sure there is variance from fabric to fabric, but anyone who could ballpark this would be helpful).

Also, does anyone know if Geneva pre-washes shirt fabric brought in for CMT?

Thanks

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Why do you want to prewash fabric if your shirtmaker doesn't usually do it? Presumably they've taken shrinkage into account in the pattern. They also might not want you to preash it since it messes up the straightness of the grain and makes cutting the shirt more difficult.

Is this fabric unusual in some way? Do you expect it to shrink more than normal shirting?

badsha

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you dont know what you are doing. DO NOT pre-wash, it will do more damage then good.

hymo

Reaction score
I have the cut edges serged by an alterations shop. Then I soak them in water for a day, then spin till damp in the washing machine. While still damp, iron till dry. This is a different sort of ironing from ironing shirts. I leave the iron on one spot for a good while, say 15 seconds.

Then it is soaked again for a day or two. Then I launder it together with my shirts, which I typically pre-soak overnight.

Then hang dry then bring to tailor. Let the tailor worry with the pressing. So far so good.

I preshrink my cotton collar interlining even more thoroughly before giving to tailor.

The advantage: No puckered seams. At all. No need to stretch seams while damp. At all. Shirt is more fluid, or so it seems to me.

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by badsha
If you dont know what you are doing. DO NOT pre-wash, it will do more damage then good.

Let your tailor pre-wash the fabric.

softy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hymo
I have the cut edges serged by an alterations shop. Then I soak them in water for a day, then spin till damp in the washing machine. While still damp, iron till dry. This is a different sort of ironing from ironing shirts. I leave the iron on one spot for a good while, say 15 seconds.

Then it is soaked again for a day or two. Then I launder it together with my shirts, which I typically pre-soak overnight.

Then hang dry then bring to tailor. Let the tailor worry with the pressing. So far so good.

I preshrink my cotton collar interlining even more thoroughly before giving to tailor.

The advantage: No puckered seams. At all. No need to stretch seams while damp. At all. Shirt is more fluid, or so it seems to me.

Wow. You couldn't pay me to do this.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads