• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

brown or black shoes for wear w/ red chinos?

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score
As an avid fan of red pants (yes I am THAT WASPy asshole) I find pairing shoes with the pants equally as fun as the pants themselves. Since these are chinos I gather that they are not going to worn in a formal setting. This makes it even easier to mix things up. Here are a few of my favorites to wear with red (or brick in this case) casual pants:

The Easiest Look:
Chocolate Bass Weejuns or something of similar styling and color. Penny loafers are practically horse and carriage with go-to-Hell style and the dark brown color makes for a nice conservative ending to your look.

The WASP Look:
I generally prefer to wear my red pants with tassel loafers. I have a few pairs of Aldens that work well:
--Chocolate Suede-- http://www.northriveroutfitter.com/c...fullsize=large
--Cordovan Cigar-- http://www.theshoemart.com/alden-men...LAID=534237363
--Sand Suede-- just bought these off SF and while they are a little harder to pull off they definitely look summery and different

The Ballsy Look:
This is something that I have only started to embrace recently and generally when I am trying to one-up my friends at semi-formal occasions. However, I can see kicking around in these casually and looking very smart.
http://www.styledrops.com/handbags-42146.html

Again I probably won't get any points for conservatism in my looks but I think these are all solid options for the GTH aesthetic (I'm assuming that's what you're going for by buying red pants in the first place). Sorry for the long post. I often find myself carried away with such topics.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thesecondprize
What might YOU wear w/ red chinos? ... assuming you'd wear red chinos.
I have a pair of Pantas in red. I plan to do them with a suede - probably a lighter one. Definitely not black, as long as Im not attending a holiday party. As Santa.

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any shade of brown, but I gravitate towards medium-to-lighter shades. Also, I wear beige suede bucks (the ones from Lands' End are excellent for the price) and sometimes leather flip-flops. I would wear blue suede shoes in a heartbeat if I had a pair.

feastmaster

Reaction score
I agree with bourbon and acecow. Definitely go with brown. I have a pair pants in that color and I like a lighter shade of chocolate with my pants. My burgundy loafers are pushing it and they don't really match too well. Also, try non-bulky (if that makes sense) DBs in a sand color. That could be an option as well.

Kurt N

Reaction score
Originally Posted by thesecondprize
not Nantucket Red; these: http://canvas.landsend.com/pp/SlimFi...s&origin=index

Judging from the photos, the official answer is neither. You wear dirty sneakers, a half-tucked shirt and sweater, and a dopey "Shucks, you mean me?" expression. And you cross your legs like you need to go to the bathroom.

Myself, I agree with the chocolate brown idea.

tim_horton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
I have a pair of Pantas in red.
I remember those - the Zegna fabric, right? They're awesome. I remember being pissed about missing out on them. That's about when I knew I had a problem...
laugh.gif
Anyway, I'd go brown - preferably suede, but dark brown calfskin otherwise. Not feeling black with this.

TRA8324

Reaction score
I have several pairs of shoes that would go great with those.

dark brown suede desert boots
tan suede wingtips
navy suede bucks
brown boatshoes

pretty much can't go wrong with any kind of brown of navy suede.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads