• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Post your photography skills! (self-gloss)

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the two first ones, Ich_Dien. What's the second one?

Nice shots, Crane. What lens?

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NOBD
Nice shots, Crane. What lens?
Thanks, you're going to like this one. I didn't shoot it with the D5MkII or the Alpha. I took this shot with an old Casio Exilim Z750 point and shoot. Many of the shots I take are with my older P&S cameras just to see what can be done with them and to show that you don't need a 5K setup to take a good picture. My first rule of photography is know your camera intimately. Most people just set it to auto and go. Learn the over rides and manual settings and much can be done with these cameras. Much more than people realize. Now with that all said and done if I shot this with the D5 I could run off a poster size razor sharp print. Can't do that so well with a little 7.2 megapixel camera.
Originally Posted by il ciclista
Crane, the turtle one is too good!
Thanks. Wildlife macro shots are one of my favorite things to do with a camera.

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Crane's
Thanks, you're going to like this one. I didn't shoot it with the D5MkII or the Alpha. I took this shot with an old Casio Exilim Z750 point and shoot. Many of the shots I take are with my older P&S cameras just to see what can be done with them and to show that you don't need a 5K setup to take a good picture. My first rule of photography is know your camera intimately. Most people just set it to auto and go. Learn the over rides and manual settings and much can be done with these cameras. Much more than people realize.

Ha, good rule. Mine is that the man behind the camera is more important than the camera, which is roughly the same...

il ciclista

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So true Crane, I have some friends that complain about how they need the d7000 but they just shoot in auto settings with a kit lens! I'm telling them to move away from the auto settings and get a prime lens or better glass and they'll be happy with their camera they own now. Some people are just stubborn i guess.

It's true you don't need an expensive setup to get a good shot, but it depends on the kind of shot too. For instance, if you were shooting sports you're going to miss alot of shots due to slow processing on the p-n-s, lack of focal points, AF speed, etc. Now with stationary subject within the optical zoom it's possibly though.

I also believe with a good knowledge of photoshop you can make any cameras shots look pretty decent. My mom took some prom shots of my sister and they looked really bad (hazy no color to skin tones etc.) So i put them in the digital darkroom and made them look somewhat professional.

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So true Crane, I have some friends that complain about how they need the d7000 but they just shoot in auto settings with a kit lens! I'm telling them to move away from the auto settings and get a prime lens or better glass and they'll be happy with their camera they own now. Some people are just stubborn i guess. It's true you don't need an expensive setup to get a good shot, but it depends on the kind of shot too. For instance, if you were shooting sports you're going to miss alot of shots due to slow processing on the p-n-s, lack of focal points, AF speed, etc. Now with stationary subject within the optical zoom it's possibly though.
Yep, there is a reason why I have a D5 with the OMG expensive 24-70mm f2.8 lens.

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm assuming you're talking about the 5d mkII? I love the 2.8 zooms..I want one, but like you said they're $$$ I do have a nice set of primes though.
Yep the 5DMkII. That's the portrait/weddings and paid assignments camera.

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you do the product shots for your site?
No I don't. Most of the pics are stock photos from the manufacturers. Dave has a Nikon at the store and gets staff to model or show things off every once in a while. My paid work is from weddings/portraits and newspapers. I also do some work for a magazine out of St.Louis. I have gallery space and sell prints as well. One of these days I hope to do this as my prime source of income and run the site part time. I've got 4 weddings coming up and have done 9 or ten portrait shoots so far. It's taken a while but it's starting to come together. What I need is that lucky shot that gets on the cover of National Geographic. Warren Faidley got discovered that way. We both chase storms but he got the shot of an oil refinery getting hit by lightning. Instant fame. I'm a fan of Peter Lik's work and like his style. Landscape photography is by far my favorite genre to date. Especially in infrared and UV.

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I need some assistance please. I own a KM Maxxum 7D and use a KM AF 50mm f2.8mm macro lens. All my pics are coming out yellow or orangeish. I have played with the settings but havent had any luck. Any suggestions/help would be greatly appreciated.

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NAMOR
I need some assistance please. I own a KM Maxxum 7D and use a KM AF 50mm f2.8mm macro lens. All my pics are coming out yellow or orangeish. I have played with the settings but havent had any luck. Any suggestions/help would be greatly appreciated.
It sounds like the white balance is off. If you are shooting indoors without a flash this is most likely the problem. Under what conditions are you shooting? Has your camera been used a lot? Does this problem occur whe nyou use a different lens?

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NOBD
I like the two first ones, Ich_Dien. What's the second one?
nice shots Ich_Den the first two are my favs too 2nd one looks like dye hitting water?
Thanks, lads. The 2nd is blue food colouring going into milk caught with a SB-600 flashgun.

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those are contrails of a jet. It's distance from you and the curvature of the Earth creates this illusion.
Originally Posted by Big Pun
Not really good shots, but I'[m wondering if anyone knows wtf this is? Looked like a crashing space shuttle, anyone hear anything like that on news?
VQ20x.jpg
KW0ra.jpg
6ubPg.jpg
bXXTN.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads