Post your photography skills! (self-gloss)

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by JetBlast, Jan 9, 2007.

1. kraands

kraands Senior member

If you like shooting portraits and things at a longer focal length, get the 85 then. If you've got the coin the 85L is awesome, otherwise the f1.8 is just fine.

2. trader

trader Senior member

I personally haven't used either, but from what I've read the 15-85 does not give up much optically or in terms of build to the 17-55 (actually I've heard that the 15-85 is better built; maybe someone else can confirm). Since you seem to use the long end of the 17-85, I'd think the 15-85 would be a good bet, plus you'll gain the extra 2mm on the wide end (which is pretty substantial).

I have the 17-55 and I find it to be blah. The colors and contrast are nothing to write home about. But the constant 2.8 and IS are awesome. I use mine maybe once a month if the shoot calls for it. I'm planning to sell it just cause it's not getting use.

I think the 15-85 sounds just fine. I heard canon is coming out with a 15-60 2.8 or something along those lines to replace the 17-55. That'll be a great lens.

85 is one of my favorite FOVs on both a crop and full frame

3. evilgeniusdan

evilgeniusdan Senior member

some street stuff from a recent set called "wheels" [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. 4mused

4mused Active Member

For portraits it depends on your personal definition of portrait. Is it head only? Bust and up? Full body? Do you want any or none of the background as part of your picture?

I made this mistake when I first started out. I asked around, and the general consensus was that the 85mm 1.4/1.8 would fit my needs. I was shooting on a D90 back then. My personal definition of portrait is up to full body, so you can imagine what a nightmare it was to shoot with a 85mm on a crop sensor. I'm not bashing the lens; the Nikon 85mm 1.4 is considered one of the best portrait lenses out of any brand, but it just didn't fit my style.

Also, it depends where you're shooting. If you're doing portraits in a building, keep in mind you can always get as close as you want to the model (within min focusing distance of the lens of course) but you can only back up so far within a building. Navigating around gear/wires is not fun, believe me.

5. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim In Time Out

I heartily endorse the Tokina 11-16 for anyone looking for wide angle on a crop sensor camera.
    I used it as my walk-around lens in Japan in Feb.

6. il ciclista

il ciclista Senior member

7. NOBD

NOBD Senior member

I like the first one, il ciclista. Nice composition and "sharpness play".

8. il ciclista

thanks, I just got the d7k, this is the first few pics i took..still trying to get used to all these features.

9. mapclub

mapclub Active Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. NOBD

NOBD Senior member

11. trader

trader Senior member

nice work everyone. some mirror and window type of shots for today [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

12. unjung

unjung Senior member

Zero post-processing. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

13. il ciclista

great shots! NOBD I like how all the whites are different hues. trader #1, #3 my favs. unjung the 2nd one is awesome...looks like you were spotted haha i'll add to the flower mania [​IMG] d7 by txvdub, on Flickr

14. NOBD

NOBD Senior member

Nice one, il ciclista. How did you take the pic (lens, settings, postprocessing)?
    Did you put the flower in the middle on purpose?