• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimbosaurus

Reaction score
So a question I have that has been touched on a few times but never handled too thoroughly is what is the best budget suit option? When talking about clothes with my friends the only thing that really interests them as young professionals is suits, however they practically run the other direction at a suggestion of $800 for a herringbone suit on sale, let alone a P.Johnson at over $1200. They then ask me for a "reasonably" priced option and I honestly have no suggestion for them. So where do you send the person with an upper budget of $600?

I also ask as I'm currently endeavouring to get much fitter than I've ever been but I've got a few dates that require suits coming up so I don't want to go to town and then have to ditch it 2 months later because my body is a completely different shape. A lower end option might be my only reasonable option to minimise this risk.

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fxh
Not far from my latest experience - a few months back a nice green striped tie that works well with my Donegal tweed jacket as a semi-casual thing - I knocked a whole latte (double shot of course) no top - over it - quickly sopped it up and also with a bit of cold water - took it to my local drycleaner and he said that anything he could do would suck the life out of the silk in his experience and it might still be stained - he suggested try washing in water - I've just stuffed it in a drawer at the moment.

I'm not sure its proper iGent behaviour but I sometimes tuck my tie into my breast pocket or throw it over my shoulder if the going gets tough - the tie not coffee or food.

The iGent solution would probably be a tie pin, to hold your tie in place.

I either tuck it into my shirt or over the shoulder when there's laksa about.

Archibald Longfellow

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jimbosaurus
So a question I have that has been touched on a few times but never handled too thoroughly is what is the best budget suit option? When talking about clothes with my friends the only thing that really interests them as young professionals is suits, however they practically run the other direction at a suggestion of $800 for a herringbone suit on sale, let alone a P.Johnson at over $1200. They then ask me for a "reasonably" priced option and I honestly have no suggestion for them. So where do you send the person with an upper budget of $600?

I also ask as I'm currently endeavouring to get much fitter than I've ever been but I've got a few dates that require suits coming up so I don't want to go to town and then have to ditch it 2 months later because my body is a completely different shape. A lower end option might be my only reasonable option to minimise this risk.

Well I'd tell you where the guys in my office get their suits at great prices from an online tailoring service in Sydney There are about eight suits from this guy floating around my office and everybody seems to like them and the prices are certainly good. However the last time I mentioned it I was accused of promoting the site. So I won't post it again.

Although, if you really wanted to know you could always look here for the 4th post down

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Prince of Paisley
The iGent solution would probably be a tie pin, to hold your tie in place.

I either tuck it into my shirt or over the shoulder when there's laksa about.

Yeah the going gets tough in winter - I'm addicted to big bowls of Beef Pho at lunch time. The tie pin holds it in the right spot to get splashed. The other thing is work do-s with biscuits and dip when the dip slides off.

Archibald Longfellow

Reaction score
Originally Posted by fxh
Yeah the going gets tough in winter - I'm addicted to big bowls of Beef Pho at lunch time. The tie pin holds it in the right spot to get splashed. The other thing is work do-s with biscuits and dip when the dip slides off.

I have the same problems. Had an important afternoon appointment but decided to have a curry for lunch. Went out of my way to make sure I didn't drop anything on my shirt and tie.

I did drop a piece of curry encrusted chicken but missed my shirt and tie and fell oto the table then bounced back onto guess where?

Everybody in the office mist have heard the four letter word I screamed.

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is a bit old ....but....

Originally Posted by Sator
BTW this is almost certainly a myth.

For a start the story goes that Edward VII started this tradition (Henry VIII??? talk about fish growing bigger with time) because he gained too much weight and had to undo his bottom waistcoat button.

Edward VII was such a fussy dresser he could not travel with any less than two valets, and he would have just ordered another dozen waistcoats from Henry Poole. Also, the tradition of having a show button at the bottom that couldn't be done up is older than Edward VII.

In any case, I hate leaving my bottom waistcoat button undone. Can't stand it. And if you ever told me to undo it like Henry VIII, expect an earful from me.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by TheWraith
So I suppose you walk around with all your suit coat buttons done up as well?

I do on a DB coat. I see nothing wrong with doing the bottom button up on an SB lounge coat either. You should just do what looks good.

This is what Berhard Roetzel had to say recently:

I don't like the rule about leaving the last button of the waistcoat unbuttoned because 1. It doesn't look good and 2. I wouldn't leave a button of my fly unbuttoned either. It's good to update some rules or adapt them to one's personal circumstances. I don't think that the world stops turning if you wear brown shoes after six
http://mannerofman.blogspot.com/2010...d-roetzel.html

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fxh
meister - have you actually had a stained silk tie fixed?

No to be truthful no. I had a beautiful Italian tie destroyed by soy sauce ...never the same again. Another one I thrifted had food staining. Wonderful tie but unlike today's Brooks tie I got it was stained forever.

JohnsNotHere

Reaction score
Checked out the herringbone warehouse sale in Perth today. Ties on show weren't to my taste. Quite a few suits ($599) and sportscoats ($199). Only sportcoat that took my fancy was only in 40R unfortuntely. Chinos at $50 looked a great deal. Limited sweaters, some cashmere at $120. Tonnes of shirts ranging in prices. A lot of odd suit jackets... why? Almost got a new suit, staple navy... probably go back tomorrow and get as my bonus came in today. Any other Perth SFers make it?

Tano

Reaction score
Will drop in tommorow. Whats the general consensus with HB chino's and sweaters?

Selvaggio

Reaction score
The SMH (and I suspect, from the SYD/MEL references, also the Age) has a lengthy article on MTM tailoring. It is essentially a puff piece for Harrolds, but contains some interesting info none-the-less.

eg. Harrolds house brand MTM costs $1,890-2,000, Pal Zileri costs $3,000-5,000 and a Tom Ford will set you back whopping $6,000 (though fitted by TF's head tailor flown out by Harolds for the benefit of a fortunate few).

Also of interest, the range of options for customisation available in Pal Zileri MTM surprised me - trouser width, lapel shape and cut underneath the arms. I had kind of thought that high-end MTM would essentially be like ordering the closest OTR size, but with the alterations already done.

On another note, did anyone see M Turnbull interviewed on Lateline last night? Nice bag-o-fruit by pollie standards.

Selvaggio

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tano
Will drop in tommorow. Whats the general consensus with HB chino's and sweaters?

Can't speak for their chinos, but I like their jumpers. I have the wool (not cashmere) v neck and it's all good - fairly dense smooth weave but not too heavy - which I think bodes well for it retaining a fitted shape and resisting pilling.

Doesn't look like a golf jumper.

On special - they are good value

neyus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Archibald Longfellow
Well I'd tell you where the guys in my office get their suits at great prices from an online tailoring service in Sydney There are about eight suits from this guy floating around my office and everybody seems to like them and the prices are certainly good. However the last time I mentioned it I was accused of promoting the site. So I won't post it again.

Although, if you really wanted to know you could always look here for the 4th post down

I checked out his website. Wow. Prices are super inexpensive. $399 for a handmade metallic suit.

Jimbosaurus

Reaction score
Oh wow, I didn't quite realise how cheap the Herringbone warehouse sales were. Are the suits of the same quality that they sell in stores, just previous season stuff? If you can really get them for $599 then that just about answers my question about more affordable suit options.

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Selvaggio
The SMH (and I suspect, from the SYD/MEL references, also the Age) has a lengthy article on MTM tailoring. It is essentially a puff piece for Harrolds, but contains some interesting info none-the-less.

eg. Harrolds house brand MTM costs $1,890-2,000, Pal Zileri costs $3,000-5,000 and a Tom Ford will set you back whopping $6,000 (though fitted by TF's head tailor flown out by Harolds for the benefit of a fortunate few).

Also of interest, the range of options for customisation available in Pal Zileri MTM surprised me - trouser width, lapel shape and cut underneath the arms. I had kind of thought that high-end MTM would essentially be like ordering the closest OTR size, but with the alterations already done.

On another note, did anyone see M Turnbull interviewed on Lateline last night? Nice bag-o-fruit by pollie standards.

Turnbull used to get his suits done by John Serafino in Pitt St (ex of Double Bay).

Obviously he's shaken off any leadership ambitions as he looked a bit too well for it to be an Anthony Squires sack.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics