• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

my visit to Napoli & Mina @ Napoli Su Misura

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Guys, if you have pictures, please post them. It would be interesting to see people's garments other than usual suspects posting their stuff.

medtech_expat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ljrcustom
Beautiful ties. Did you provide Mina with the fabric or did she have swatches with her? Thanks.

-LR

Mina should have about a dozen swatches with her on this trip. I chose three, and Mina and my gf proceeded to select the same 3 different patterns independent of one another. So I ended up with six.

Lightbringer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by medtech_expat
Mina should have about a dozen swatches with her on this trip. I chose three, and Mina and my gf proceeded to select the same 3 different patterns independent of one another. So I ended up with six.

Which were which?

S. Magnozzi

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lightbringer
+1

In all fairness, I went with Mina for shirts too despite being reasonably satisfied with my existing shirtmaker. But this is because my existing shirtmaker isn't very good with unfused collars and Mina is. I like a mix of both.

Interesting as I was quite let down with her approach to soft collars and cuffs compared to what Anna M provides. I asked her for "identical," whilst wearing an Anna M shirt, which Mina inspected closely. Sadly, the finished shirt didn't resemble anything what Anna M produces; naturally I'll discuss this further as I believe she can deliver something close to what I am used to.

Originally Posted by poorsod
Her suite is massive, much bigger than my apartment. She has more English books now including Minnis, Harrisons and etc.

This is great news, and a welcome addition. The previous books wasn't even close to adequate.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by S. Magnozzi
This is great news, and a welcome addition. The previous books wasn't even close to adequate.

Well, setting aside preferences for English versus Italian and vice versa, if anyone was looking for a "normal" suitings or sportjacketings she has always had books which are more than adequate. I know there is a lot if fabric fetishism here, and I suffer from it sometimes, but there are people that can get the "right" shade of navy after seeing two dozen solid navy swatches. She's always had Dormeuil, she had a great no name Italian book about two years ago that she told me was from a friend and which she no longer brings with her. I am wearing a navy jacket from it today that I ordered way back then and it's still looks magnificent after many wearings. I assume she no longer brings it because people prefer the branded stuff like Harrisons etc but she's always had stuff as good as any of the English stuff she has now and she's always had Loro Piana, which for my money, the English can't touch in terms of colors/patterns/finishing.

sellahi22

Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
Well, setting aside preferences for English versus Italian and vice versa, if anyone was looking for a "normal" suitings or sportjacketings she has always had books which are more than adequate. I know there is a lot if fabric fetishism here, and I suffer from it sometimes, but there are people that can get the "right" shade of navy after seeing two dozen solid navy swatches. She's always had Dormeuil, she had a great no name Italian book about two years ago that she told me was from a friend and which she no longer brings with her. I am wearing a navy jacket from it today that I ordered way back then and it's still looks magnificent after many wearings. I assume she no longer brings it because people prefer the branded stuff like Harrisons etc but she's always had stuff as good as any of the English stuff she has now and she's always had Loro Piana, which for my money, the English can't touch in terms of colors/patterns/finishing.

It's probably fair to say that people take an overly categorical view of acceptable and unacceptable fabric brands.

However I disagree about your point about "normal" and "adequate" suitings. I have plain grey suits in Lesser 10 oz and H&S Cape Horn Vista 11 oz (with a bit of cashmere), and there is a world of difference. The H&S cloth feels softer and does not look crisp. It also has a bit of a sheen. The Lesser cloth feels much more hard/dry and falls much cleaner. Though they were roughly the same price from Chan, I strongly prefer to wear the Lesser one and would pay a substantial premium to have future suits made out of the Lesser cloth (alas it is out of production I believe).

greger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
don't take this the wrong way but you should stick with who you are using now, don't see what you will gain by trying a different shirt maker.

How do you know they are the best? What if the next tailor he goes to makes better? Or, the tenth next tailor and glad he finally found him? To a certain extent there is a smorgasbord of tailors; at a smorgasbord restaurant would you only pick one item until full or try several? Going to different tailors you learn new stuff, being they all think somewhat different.

Lightbringer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by greger
How do you know they are the best? What if the next tailor he goes to makes better? Or, the tenth next tailor and glad he finally found him? To a certain extent there is a smorgasbord of tailors; at a smorgasbord restaurant would you only pick one item until full or try several? Going to different tailors you learn new stuff, being they all think somewhat different.

I guess part of the issue is that with shirts there is less variation in styling and quality compared to jackets and pants.

S. Magnozzi

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sellahi22
It's probably fair to say that people take an overly categorical view of acceptable and unacceptable fabric brands.

However I disagree about your point about "normal" and "adequate" suitings. I have plain grey suits in Lesser 10 oz and H&S Cape Horn Vista 11 oz (with a bit of cashmere), and there is a world of difference. The H&S cloth feels softer and does not look crisp. It also has a bit of a sheen. The Lesser cloth feels much more hard/dry and falls much cleaner. Though they were roughly the same price from Chan, I strongly prefer to wear the Lesser one and would pay a substantial premium to have future suits made out of the Lesser cloth (alas it is out of production I believe).

This. It seems to me Mina favoured more modern fabrics (soft, "flashy"), which isn't to everybody's liking. Re: Lesser, IIRC Harrisons have mentioned that they will reintroduce some books, hopefully they live up to it.

NickPollica

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
A few quick snaps from my brother and my first basted fitting with Mina yesterday. I think that my brother's (first photo) jacket needs less work than mine but all in all things are coming along really well. My sale e peppe is making me wish it wasn't getting so dang nice out...

Those ties are really something else as well.

Screenshot2011-05-07at80345AM.png

Screenshot2011-05-07at80358AM.png

Screenshot2011-05-07at80411AM.png

Screenshot2011-05-07at80433AM.png

UpperWestie

Reaction score
Originally Posted by NickPollica
A few quick snaps from my brother and my first basted fitting with Mina yesterday. I think that my brother's (first photo) jacket needs less work than mine but all in all things are coming along really well. My sale e peppe is making me wish it wasn't getting so dang nice out...

Those ties are really something else as well.

Both look great. So She's back to NYC in July, huh? Might have to take the plunge...

ljrcustom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by medtech_expat

Thanks. I'm meeting with her tomorrow, I'm looking forward to seeing the swatches.

-LR

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Here's a question about NSM or Neapolitan tailors more generally-- has anyone had braces trousers made successfully from Naples, and if not, what is their protocol for evening dress? I'm assuming that they don't like showing belt buckles under DJs, or do they prefer DB suits where none of this matters?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads