• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Doctor Who

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jekyll
Didn't really like the Dalek episode last week, but this week's episode is ******* great. Two parters really are the best. 45 minutes just doesn't give enough time to establish a new location and tell a cool story.

I agree. In the "old days" when I was watching Jon Pertwee and Tom Baker as Doctor Who (back in the late '70s and in the '80s), each story would typically go for five episodes, and there would be one episode each weeknight.

Of course, the special effects were absolute rubbish back then (no disrespect to the BBC special effects dept, as I'm sure that they did their best with what was available to them!).

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I really really love Dr. Who but only watch the ones with Tom Baker. How do these compare?

Jekyll

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Second part was even better than the first part. Best story of the new series IMO. Gonna be a classic.

I was hoping to avoid another Doctor/companion romance, but I thought they did it really well. I'm guessing Amy will soon be over her infatuation since the Doctor seems to have no interest in reciprocating.

bbaquiran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bbaquiran
I'm happy Steven Moffat is taking over from Russel T Davies as head writer/producer. Moffat wrote all of my favorite DW episodes (The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances, Girl in the Fireplace, Blink) and was main writer for the comedy Coupling.
And of course Moffat's two-part ending wrapped up the season beautifully.

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
Just started watching recently with the lady. Just finished series 1 of the new iterations (starting 2005). A few episodes into series 2.

My favorite episodes so far are

- The one with the gas mask kid
- The one with the french princess

They seemed like a good mix of action, mystery and enough sentimentality. I really cared about the storyline and the new characters introduced in those (the princess, captain jack, and the teenage mom). Great emotional arc on those.

Excited to keep watching them and catch up to the current season

HHD

Reaction score
Originally Posted by chronoaug
Just started watching recently with the lady. Just finished series 1 of the new iterations (starting 2005). A few episodes into series 2.

My favorite episodes so far are

- The one with the gas mask kid
- The one with the french princess

They seemed like a good mix of action, mystery and enough sentimentality. I really cared about the storyline and the new characters introduced in those (the princess, captain jack, and the teenage mom). Great emotional arc on those.

Excited to keep watching them and catch up to the current season

They're both stories by Steven Moffat, who is the outstanding writer of the rebooted series. You're in for a treat with the other episodes he wrote, most famously Blink. And the news gets better: From season five onwards Moffat took over as showrunner and lead writer (this is the Matt Smith 11th Doctor era). I think season five, Smith and Moffat's first, is the best new Who to date and easily on a par with the finest of the Tom Baker years. The season which has just started, the sixth, takes a darker turn: The first two episodes are mind-blowing.

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HHD
They're both stories by Steven Moffat, who is the outstanding writer of the rebooted series. You're in for a treat with the other episodes he wrote, most famously Blink. And the news gets better: From season five onwards Moffat took over as showrunner and lead writer (this is the Matt Smith 11th Doctor era). I think season five, Smith and Moffat's first, is the best new Who to date and easily on a par with the finest of the Tom Baker years. The season which has just started, the sixth, takes a darker turn: The first two episodes are mind-blowing.

Damn. That's excellent to hear. My girlfriend picked up on that actually. We have been rapid fire watching them on netflix (all the reboot episodes except the brand new season are on there) and you notice things like that more. The moffat episodes have definitely been my favorite and seem more focused. The davies ones are a bit meandering and i find myself losing interest looking at my computer while watching and then popping in and out. The ones i mentioned and a few others (probably moffat as well), i was riveted the whole time

bbaquiran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chronoaug
n

For some reason I like Capt Jack in Dr. Who more than Capt Jack in Torchwood.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlanC
Favorite line of the new season so far was The Doctor's reference to River Song as "Mrs Robinson"--hilarious.

Yes that was a hoot. And the context of the show appears a lot darker then previous seasons, mind you I would like to see a show about Nixon's nose now that was one proboscis.

L.R.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bbaquiran
A couple of months late, but the last Christmas episode was great.

Man, best X-mas Who yet. Last two episodes were good, but not mind blowing. The aliens were pretty damn cool though, and offered some freaky scenes. I think everyone recognizes the Weeping Angels as highlights, and are trying to recreate that feeling.

I'm pumped for the Neil Gaiman episodes.

mktitsworth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by L.R.
I'm pumped for the Neil Gaiman episodes.

His blog and twitter make waiting for them easier. Except when he mentions them in that he can't say anything about them. Then it does not.

SD1

Reaction score
Originally Posted by HHD
They're both stories by Steven Moffat, who is the outstanding writer of the rebooted series. You're in for a treat with the other episodes he wrote, most famously Blink.

Blink was easily the best DW episode ever, of any iteration.

This season's episodes have been very strong so far, though they could just jettison Rory and not skip a beat.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads