• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone seen the three page spread in the Sydney Magazine today? I thought the Andrew McDonald, well actually I would rather not say. They had a photo of the Chetwynd priced at $794 pointed this out to the wife and that at Herrings with shipping cost is $508 Australian.

But the ones that grabbed me were the Grenson Dylan which got the pulse racing I must admit were $420 local and with shipping only $267. Does anyone were Grenson? If so would they recommend them? Any comments would be appreciated.

I like spreads like these they make ordering shoes online such a pleasure.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Geoffrey Firmin
But the ones that grabbed me were the Grenson Dylan which got the pulse racing I must admit were $420 local and with shipping only $267. Does anyone were Grenson? If so would they recommend them? Any comments would be appreciated.

I think you'll find that less VAT they are more like $220aud to your doorstep.

bhall41

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Geoffrey Firmin
Has anyone seen the three page spread in the Sydney Magazine today? I thought the Andrew McDonald, well actually I would rather not say. They had a photo of the Chetwynd priced at $794 pointed this out to the wife and that at Herrings with shipping cost is $508 Australian.

I have a couple of pairs of Grensons, from their Rose line, which I like. The Dylans are from their Rushden line. I am not sure how the quality of the two lines compares - Rose is more expensive and therefore presumably a bit better constructed and finished.

The Dylan is a nice looking brogue, especially in tan. If you like it, go for it!

Jimbosaurus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by meister
Hi arch/high instep. You will just have to try the right shoes until you find the appropriate ones and continue buying those. Issues such as the lacing will factor into any purchase as well.

Thanks, very interesting. My instinct was that it would be width related, but I could never find any reason for it when I investigated. I'll make sure to make an extra note of shoes that fit well now that I know this might be more of a problem than I thought.

ryanohare

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CHECKstar
+1 I would be interested to hear how you went also.

Appolyon & CS...

Met Stuart about 3 weeks back in Port Melbourne (he was kind enough to pay for my coffee too btw) and got fitted there and then. Spent about half an hour looking through hsi sample books of colours and cuts, which are extensive to say the least. Plumped for his 4 for $450 deal (or something like that anyway) so narrowing my shirt choice down to 4 wasn't easy.

Anyone who's dealt with Stuart before will know that he only makes one shirt after you've placed an order, and sends it to you. Went for the staple white shirt (spread collars, darts, double button cuffs with thick shell buttons).

It arrived last week (so about a 3 week turnaround). It's a gorgeous shirt looks wise; no complaints there. The arms are too long though, there seesm to be a bit too much pull from the underarms resulting in some bagging across the upper arms and through the chest.

A couple of other smaller issues that are easily tweaked too (neck's a fraction too wide, bit too loose across the back (more to do with my posture than anything else) and generally I'd prefer it a bit slimmer - but again that's personal preference.). Stuart came back to Port Melb again to view it on me, and seems to think the adjustments will be relatively straight forward. So I've got to send it back to him, and he'll re-do a new one or adjust that one depending on cost-benefit.

Should be done in the next week or two then I'll post a pic on here.

Should say too that he's a great guy to deal with and assuming the shirt(s) come out as I like them I'd happily recommend him. He says he travels quite a bit to Adelaide/Brisbane/Sydney too if anyone else's interested. Had a pretty good chat with him about clothing and general fashion. He seems a pretty down to earth guy who's really enjoying his work.

appolyon

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
^ Sounds like a positive experience. The 4 for $450, does that include Thomas Mason line of fabrics?

Also, what do you mean by 'send it back to him'? Do you have to mail the shirts somewhere?

(Pretty keen to get some new shirts, hence the ninja fast responses)

jessis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by appolyon
^ Sounds like a positive experience. The 4 for $450, does that include Thomas Mason line of fabrics? Also, what do you mean by 'send it back to him'? Do you have to mail the shirts somewhere? (Pretty keen to get some new shirts, hence the ninja fast responses)
It did include TM last year...

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Sounds like a positive experience. The 4 for $450, does that include Thomas Mason line of fabrics? Also, what do you mean by 'send it back to him'? Do you have to mail the shirts somewhere? (Pretty keen to get some new shirts, hence the ninja fast responses)
Sorry if I missed it earlier in the thread, but does someone have a link to Stuart's company/site?

appolyon

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jessis
It did include TM last year...
BOOYAH!
Originally Posted by Prince of Paisley
Sorry if I missed it earlier in the thread, but does someone have a link to Stuart's company/site?
website is www.nialma.com Ryan can you PM me his details?

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jimbosaurus
Thanks, very interesting. My instinct was that it would be width related, but I could never find any reason for it when I investigated. I'll make sure to make an extra note of shoes that fit well now that I know this might be more of a problem than I thought.

No - not width related = the height of your arch is what I mean not the volume occupied by your foot. Upwards pressure from below.

Originally Posted by bhall41
I have a couple of pairs of Grensons, from their Rose line, which I like. The Dylans are from their Rushden line. I am not sure how the quality of the two lines compares - Rose is more expensive and therefore presumably a bit better constructed and finished.

The Dylan is a nice looking brogue, especially in tan. If you like it, go for it!

Grenson has completely revamped under new management and the Rose line has gone. Grenson plans to have the high end shoes like their Masterpiece for Paul Stuart which I have and are wonderful shoes - fully made in the UK - and a cheaper/budget line assembled in India.

CHECKstar

Reaction score
BOOYAH!

website is www.nialma.com

Ryan can you PM me his details?

I am assuming that you are checking if TM are still included in the package?
teacha.gif
Can you report back your findings appolyon?
sly.gif

appolyon

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I will make suitable enquiries and report back with all the details

Jimbosaurus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by meister
No - not width related = the height of your arch is what I mean not the volume occupied by your foot. Upwards pressure from below.

Are you sure this is arch related? The area I notice the rubbing it is on top of the knuckle(is that the right term?) of my big toe. If it is arch related then it confirms my suspicion that feet be crazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads