• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gassyndrome

Reaction score
I was measured on a Brannock device the other day (as my tennis shoes were thrown out by the cleaner at work
censored.gif
) and it turns out I have a slim 13 left foot and a full size shorter on my right.

My question is how hard/annoying/costly is it to return shoes to Pediwear? Their size conversion seems to suggest that would make me a UK 12, while right now I wear a Euro 47 (Ecco) and size 14 US sneakers.

And where do I start with a nice black work shoe in C&J?

Cheers,
Simon.

JohnsNotHere

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gassyndrome
I was measured on a Brannock device the other day (as my tennis shoes were thrown out by the cleaner at work
censored.gif
) and it turns out I have a slim 13 left foot and a full size shorter on my right.

My question is how hard/annoying/costly is it to return shoes to Pediwear? Their size conversion seems to suggest that would make me a UK 12, while right now I wear a Euro 47 (Ecco) and size 14 US sneakers.

Cheers,
Simon.

Size conversion sounds wrong to me... the general rule of thumb is go down 1 size when converting from US to UK (this can change with different lasts of course). Whenever I purchase shoes online I always email them first with sizing of shoes I already have and ask for a recommendation based on that sizing.

Audley or Belgrave

streetminimal

Reaction score
Does anyone know if a tailor can alter the length of a shirt to make it wearable un-tucked? I'm wanting to transform some of my shirts.

jessis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by streetminimal
Does anyone know if a tailor can alter the length of a shirt to make it wearable un-tucked? I'm wanting to transform some of my shirts.
Yes, that is an easy enough alteration.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
censored.gif

Cheers,
Simon.

Draw an outline of your footses and then measure it. (Theres instructions somewhere on web on how to do it - basically common sense - hold pencil upright - or do two traces one smallish one larger.)

Send measurements to Pediwear or Herring or whoever - they are pretty good at getting size right.

Costs around $35aud to return shoes to UK.

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
censored.gif

Cheers,
Simon.

Don't use any athletic shoes as a measuring tool. Go by the Brannock Device which is a US thing. You are saying your left foot is what (Brannock) and your right foot is what (Brannock)? When we know this some advice can be proffered. The actual last then will be a further issue. I suspect your feet will suit American shoes better than UK with that odd width sizing.

Gassyndrome

Reaction score
Ok, thanks.

On the Brannock, it was a 13 on my left (she said 'quite slim') and a 12 on my right. Just looking at the bottom of my Ecco's right now and the marking on the sole says they are actually a Euro 46.

I do very much like the look of the C&J Audley. Off to contact Pediwear, Herring, etc, and see what they think.

bhall41

Reaction score
Originally Posted by 3ff3z8e
Interesting, I suffer from a pretty severe case of a collapsed arch, but my podiatrist recommended me a 3/4 orthotic as I mentioned to him that I tend to wear dress shoes quite a bit.

Here's a few pictures of it....please excuse the quality of the shots, just testing out the i-pod touch.

Attachment 63826Attachment 63827Attachment 63828

My poddy put my foot on a flatbed scanner which then generated a 3D-scan of my feet, and then it was sent to the labs for about $450 just for a pair. I had to make a follow up appointment for my first fitting. Thankfully it fit rather well, otherwise I will have to come back in another 2 weeks to try out a remake. It took some time to get used to the sensation as I went for the hardest thermoplastic setting as it offers the best arch support, but I can easily ignore it after a few minutes of walking now

Fitting wise is pretty alright for the Herring Shoes Loakes and Cheaney G-Widths that I wear

Just curious John, is the process and the orthotic type similar for someone who has plantar fasciitis?

Originally Posted by JohnsNotHere
He drew some lines on my calves and feet, then took video of me walking on a treadmill. Then put on a special sock to do the 3-d imaging. The result:

z2UIY.jpg

As you can see there is quite a build up on the heal. There is also some build up where the plantar fascia runs. I found them easy to get used to, but then I've been using off the shelf ones for years.

These fit in some of my shoes, but not my C&J's.

I also wear orthotics due to pronation ('fallen arches'). I had to get my podiatrist to shave the orthotics down quite a bit to fit my dress shoes. He said this would shorten the life of the orthotics but otherwise be just as effective in providing support. Touch wood, this seems to work fine.

HTH
Ben

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok, thanks.

On the Brannock, it was a 13 on my left (she said 'quite slim') and a 12 on my right. Just looking at the bottom of my Ecco's right now and the marking on the sole says they are actually a Euro 46.

I do very much like the look of the C&J Audley. Off to contact Pediwear, Herring, etc, and see what they think.

don't mention any Brannock measurements to the online UK shoe places - they will look at you with a blank stare - if you can interpret a blank stare from an email.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Measuring your feet

For at home measurements:

Step 1. First gather your supplies. Some tape, a piece of paper larger than your foot, a pencil, and a ruler or measuring tape. Taping the piece of paper, at the corners, to a flat, hard surface on floor. Or use an exercise book. Now you're ready to measure.

Step 2. Trace the outline of your foot. Some people have feet that do swell especially in the evening after standing on them for long periods of time. Because of this we recommend measuring your foot in the evening to allow for comfort and ample room. Trace your feet without shoes, just with socks like you may be wearing with the shoes you will be buying. Place foot firmly on the floor with your leg slightly forward and your shin just in front of your ankle. Using your pencil, trace the outline of your foot on the paper. Hold your pencil straight up and down as you do this. Make sure the pencil is firmly against your foot as you trace around it. It can be helpful to have someone else do the tracing, but you can do this yourself. A carpenter’s flat pencil is useful here.

Step 3. Marking the length and width of your foot. Using your pencil, draw a straight line from top to bottom of the outline of your foot. That is your length. Then from side to side at the widest part of the outline, draw another straight line for your width.
Step 4. Measuring the length of your foot. Using your measuring tape or ruler, measure from the bottom to the top of your outline. For inches use the closest 16th inch mark when measuring. Don't round up or down as this will affect the fit of new shoes. Write your length measurement at the top of the outline.

Step 5. Measuring the width of your foot. Some people will need a narrow shoe while others need wide shoe. Measure the width of your foot with your tape measure or ruler from left side to the right of the widest part of the outline. Find the mark that is to the closest 16th inch here as well. Write this number to the side of your foot outline.

Step 6. Finding your final shoe size. Repeat these steps for the other foot and go with the larger of the two. After your numbers are written down, you will want to subtract 2 tenths of an inch from each of the numbers to allow for the slight space between your actual foot and the line made when tracing your foot with the pencil. These final numbers are your actual foot measurements and can be converted to your appropriate size and width.

Good explanation of sizes and measuring: http://www.boot.com/bsizcvt.htm

Some pics to show: http://shoes.about.com/od/fitcomfort/ss/measurefeet.htm

Video:

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The problem with all foot measuring methods is that sizing is just so damn inconsistent, though.
I can probably wear shoes from 6.5UK all the way to 7.5UK or even 8UK.

lennier

Reaction score
Anyone ever dealt with Bozzoni on Queen St in Melb? I popped my head in there earlier to check out what sort of stuff they had since I've walked past many times and seen the sign for the 50% off sale they currently have.
Doesn't look much cop to me, fused suits and a few semi-structured cotton jackets at dubious prices ($200 presumably down from $400!). When I asked the SA about drop on the suits he looked at me blankly and asked me if I was in the rag trade, as I was asking questions that apparently only such people ask!.. (and in the case of drop he clearly didn't understand until I explained it to him). Tried on a cotton jacket for laughs and it was pretty boxy and awful. Never seen anyone in there when I've walked past, I think I know why now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads