• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

When to wear a tuxedo shirt casually

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by classicstyle
Greetings,

I have a standard white tuxedo shirt and for some reason I've had the thought of wearing it more casual and I want to see if that is acceptable. I don't think I've seen it done so I wanted to get some opinions. I'm 45 and thought it would be nice to wear to church. My first thought was to wear it with jeans and dress shoes with no tie but my church frowns on jeans being worn if you're in the choir. Any suggestions or thoughts? If it just shouldn't be done I'll leave it alone but if it's a cool look I may give it shot. Just some details on me, I'm slim, 6' 1", no glasses and receding hairline. I don't want to look like a complete nerd but I don't want to look like I'm trying to be 21 again. (Although I still feel that way. LOL)

Thanks in advance for your input.
Classicstyle

Only for duels.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...w=1468&bih=846

westinghouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have been known to casually wear mine to Starbucks on occasion.

classicstyle

Reaction score
Wow, thanks Westinghouse and Musicguy. You have me pondering now. If I were to consider this would it just be best to do jeans? I don't mind being edgy at times as long as it doesn't seem like I need professional help. LOL Thanks again for everyones input.

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tuxedo shirt and jeans looks good, provided both fit well. I think it's more apropos for a stylish night out, rather than a morning at church though. A morning at church wearing a tux shirt isn't something I'd do.

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by musicguy
Tuxedo shirt and jeans looks good, provided both fit well. I think it's more apropos for a stylish night out, rather than a morning at church though. A morning at church wearing a tux shirt isn't something I'd do.

I agree that a tuxedo-style shirt looks good with jeans for a night out, but not necessarily a true tuxedo shirt. I think it has to be a pleat-front, covered-placket or regular button front shirt, a bib-front and/or studs is a bit much.

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
James Bond looks good wearing a tux in a casual setting.... thinking of the ridiculous cable car scene from Moonraker.

Mr. Sartorial

Reaction score
I think that a lot of guys here on MC are too uptight about tradition. I have an Armani tux shirt I wear with slim denim and I get tons of compliments. But you shouldn't wear it to church.

To nail the look, make sure it's a slim shirt that tucks into your jeans well, preferably not a wingtip collar. Definitely go with a dressier pair of jeans and probably a slim black belt that recognizes the formality of your shirt. For shoes, go with a clean black loafer or maybe a dress slipper if that's your style. There's some play in that area. Unbutton a couple of buttons and relax. If it's you, great. If you're not feeling it, leave it be. Oh, and if it's a french cuff shirt like mine, just go with something clean and simple, or maybe knots.

Hope it works out for you!

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Sartorial
I think that a lot of guys here on MC are too uptight about tradition. I have an Armani tux shirt I wear with slim denim and I get tons of compliments. But you shouldn't wear it to church.

To nail the look, make sure it's a slim shirt that tucks into your jeans well, preferably not a wingtip collar. Definitely go with a dressier pair of jeans and probably a slim black belt that recognizes the formality of your shirt. For shoes, go with a clean black loafer or maybe a dress slipper if that's your style. There's some play in that area. Unbutton a couple of buttons and relax. If it's you, great. If you're not feeling it, leave it be. Oh, and if it's a french cuff shirt like mine, just go with something clean and simple, or maybe knots.

Hope it works out for you!

Agreed. Forgot about the collar. Wingtip is a definite no go for casual tux shirt.

A.L.Z.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Loathing
If you're a billionaire baller and you'd been at a big-buck poker game in black tie the previous night, and you'd woken up in your hooker-filled, penthouse bedroom, and you find yourself wearing nothing but your shirt from last night, then I think it's okay to just pop some jeans and driving loafers on to go out and buy milk for breakfast.

I jerked off to this.

pvrhye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dollynova
Black tie is a dress code for formal evening events, and is worn to social functions. For a man, the major component is a jacket, known as a dinner jacket (in the Commonwealth) or tuxedo (mainly in the United States), which is usually black but is sometimes seen in other colors. Analogues for women's evening dress range from a short cocktail dress to a long evening gown, determined by current fashion, local custom, and the occasion's time.The term tuxedo is itself variously used in different parts of the world. It sees most use in North America, where the term originated. There, it usually refers to a dinner jacket and matching trousers in traditional or contemporary styling, although it is increasingly used to refer to any type of formal coat. In Britain, it is sometimes used to refer to the white jacket alternative which is generally known as a "dinner jacket" in North America.

How about a nice forkfull of copypasta?

gorgekko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by classicstyle
Wow, thanks Westinghouse and Musicguy. You have me pondering now. If I were to consider this would it just be best to do jeans? I don't mind being edgy at times as long as it doesn't seem like I need professional help. LOL Thanks again for everyones input.

You've been on this web site for nearly six years and you really think wearing a tuxedo shirt with jeans is a good idea?

I will freely admit that SF sometimes needlessly remains hidebound to some "rules" which in fact do not exist but appropriating a tuxedo shirt in an attempt to be "edgy" smacks of someone who just got a subscription to FHM and thinks of Ashton Kutcher as a trendsetter.

jobro

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Loathing
If you're a billionaire baller and you'd been at a big-buck poker game in black tie the previous night, and you'd woken up in your hooker-filled, penthouse bedroom, and you find yourself wearing nothing but your shirt from last night, then I think it's okay to just pop some jeans and driving loafers on to go out and buy milk for breakfast.
Billionaires don't make breakfast let alone go out and buy milk. That is what the help is for.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads