When to wear a tuxedo shirt casually

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by classicstyle, Apr 24, 2011.

1. classicstyle

classicstyle Member

Greetings,

I have a standard white tuxedo shirt and for some reason I've had the thought of wearing it more casual and I want to see if that is acceptable. I don't think I've seen it done so I wanted to get some opinions. I'm 45 and thought it would be nice to wear to church. My first thought was to wear it with jeans and dress shoes with no tie but my church frowns on jeans being worn if you're in the choir. Any suggestions or thoughts? If it just shouldn't be done I'll leave it alone but if it's a cool look I may give it shot. Just some details on me, I'm slim, 6' 1", no glasses and receding hairline. I don't want to look like a complete nerd but I don't want to look like I'm trying to be 21 again. (Although I still feel that way. LOL)

Thanks in advance for your input.
    Classicstyle

2. andrew96

andrew96 Senior member

3. Imhoff

Imhoff Senior member

4. RSS

RSS Senior member

Given your member name ... I don't suggest it. It would fall short of classic style by one hellova long shot.

5. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

OP, to answer your question....NEVER!

6. bjornb17

bjornb17 Senior member

Potential for EPIC FAIL.

7. Gwarg

Gwarg Senior member

Definitely not.

8. landshark

landshark Senior member

9. TimelesStyle

TimelesStyle Senior member

I think the appropriate question, given the OP's intended use, is: What would Jesus do?

10. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Senior member

The answer, of course, is no. But OP, what made you think this was acceptable in the first place?

11. GBR

GBR Senior member

Never is the simple answer.

12. Loathing

Loathing Senior member

If you're a billionaire baller and you'd been at a big-buck poker game in black tie the previous night, and you'd woken up in your hooker-filled, penthouse bedroom, and you find yourself wearing nothing but your shirt from last night, then I think it's okay to just pop some jeans and driving loafers on to go out and buy milk for breakfast.

13. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

If you're a billionaire baller and you'd been at a big-buck poker game in black tie the previous night, and you'd woken up in your hooker-filled, penthouse bedroom, and you find yourself wearing nothing but your shirt from last night, then I think it's okay to just pop some jeans and driving loafers on to go out and buy milk for breakfast.

Good point^^^

14. 951socal

951socal Senior member

Greetings,

I have a standard white tuxedo shirt and for some reason I've had the thought of wearing it more casual and I want to see if that is acceptable. I don't think I've seen it done so I wanted to get some opinions. I'm 45 and thought it would be nice to wear to church. My first thought was to wear it with jeans and dress shoes with no tie but my church frowns on jeans being worn if you're in the choir. Any suggestions or thoughts? If it just shouldn't be done I'll leave it alone but if it's a cool look I may give it shot. Just some details on me, I'm slim, 6' 1", no glasses and receding hairline. I don't want to look like a complete nerd but I don't want to look like I'm trying to be 21 again. (Although I still feel that way. LOL)

Thanks in advance for your input.
    Classicstyle

i've seen a nearly flat chested woman do this with a flowing skirt and she looked great, wing collar and all, no tie, no bow tie just a few necklaces.

for men it would look like you were trying to be james bond after a physical confrontation he has in a tuxedo in almost every movie

15. classicstyle

classicstyle Member

Thanks everyone for your input. It definitely made me smile. You guys rock! At least I know what to do when I'm a billioinaire. Have a great rest of your weekend.
    Cheers!