• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

2 years in Big4 w/ MBA - where to go now?

Thebomb85019

Reaction score
Originally Posted by AChekhovGun
Thanks for the advice guys..I'm still just shocked that the assumption is that everyone who starts in accounting never leaves it, or can't be good at anything else.

When you say advisory, what do you mean? Are you referring to the transaction advisory services (TAS) and/or valuation services provided by the big 4?

The first thing that seems wrong is you have no idea what you want to do or any sort of plan. Do you ultimately want to end up working in the corporate world? Private equity? Etc.

millionaire75

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice guys..I'm still just shocked that the assumption is that everyone who starts in accounting never leaves it, or can't be good at anything else.

As an accountant with 13 years of experience, I can't stress how prevalent that thinking is....even worse, once you spend a few years in one area of accounting, people assume you are completely useless in another....even within a wall street firm....

Stu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
with all due respect, you guys who are saying he's pigeonholed now into accounting are full of it. Hell, I am 45 and have changed careers so many times I can't count. At various times I have been an ESL teacher, foreign wire service correspondent, newspaper executive editor, public relations and marketing executive and media syndicate general manager/salesman. Last year I got into equity research, where I will likely stay. I have nothing but a BA in a liberal arts degree. It is all about busting your balls, networking and doing anything you can to get where you want to go.

AChekhovGun

Reaction score
Thanks Stu - that's more in line with how I think - I don't think 2 years of experience ties me down to accounting. Now I just need to figure out what I want to do..I've got to be able to leverage some of the skills I've gained into a non-accounting business job.

IrateCustomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks Stu - that's more in line with how I think - I don't think 2 years of experience ties me down to accounting. Now I just need to figure out what I want to do..I've got to be able to leverage some of the skills I've gained into a non-accounting business job.

The bolded text is your priority right now. Stick with what you are doing now, while getting promoted later this year. If you can get into Management, that will help tremendously regardless of which department. Management experience, plus an MBA, plus Accounting makes for a fairly versatile combination. Controllers for Auto Dealerships are a crucial aspect of the business and having all of the prior qualities would be on my list when hiring one.

This is just an example of some other opportunities that aren't strictly Accounting, but Finance related. Every industry needs someone to manage there revenue, and you have a good start with your education and work history. You can still make a good living doing this type of work for small to medium businesses where you would most likely start under a Controller getting ready to retire in a few years.

Figure out what you want to do, network with people who can get you into that field, start working those contacts until something presents itself.

Good luck!

Thebomb85019

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stu
with all due respect, you guys who are saying he's pigeonholed now into accounting are full of it. Hell, I am 45 and have changed careers so many times I can't count. At various times I have been an ESL teacher, foreign wire service correspondent, newspaper executive editor, public relations and marketing executive and media syndicate general manager/salesman. Last year I got into equity research, where I will likely stay. I have nothing but a BA in a liberal arts degree. It is all about busting your balls, networking and doing anything you can to get where you want to go.

Although part of is busting it your balls and networking, there is a certain stigma at the Big 4 that is very hard to avoid. For instance, I have an MD contact at a very reputable MM bank (Baird, William Harris, Stephens, etc.) who worked M&A transaction advisory at a big 4 during good economic times. Naturally you'd think he could make the jump over to an investment bank with that could of experience but he couldn't and he needed an MBA from a good school to make the jump.

Not to discourage OP though but things are going to be a lot harder if you don't have a story nailed down about why you want to switch jobs and your ultimate job goals. You want to get out of the accounting firms ASAP and know where you want to go. Simply saying you want to use the full-range of your skill set takes you no where.

Stu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bwonger06
Although part of is busting it your balls and networking, there is a certain stigma at the Big 4 that is very hard to avoid. For instance, I have an MD contact at a very reputable MM bank (Baird, William Harris, Stephens, etc.) who worked M&A transaction advisory at a big 4 during good economic times. Naturally you'd think he could make the jump over to an investment bank with that could of experience but he couldn't and he needed an MBA from a good school to make the jump.

Not to discourage OP though but things are going to be a lot harder if you don't have a story nailed down about why you want to switch jobs and your ultimate job goals. You want to get out of the accounting firms ASAP and know where you want to go. Simply saying you want to use the full-range of your skill set takes you no where.

Understood, but that just means he has to work that much harder. I am sure he has it in him from the sounds of his post.

micbain

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bwonger06

Just curious - what is the stigma?

Lord-Barrington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by micbain
Just curious - what is the stigma?

The Big 4 got caught groping one of its younger female cousins a few years back at a Christmas party. I really shouldn't be bringing it up, actually.

micbain

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Texasmade
http://goingconcern.com/2010/06/be-s...wc-happy-hour/

laugh.gif

Anything else?

level32

Reaction score
ChekhovGun,

By no means is anyone saying that you're locked into accounting after two years of experience. What everyone is saying is this - if you're looking to transition to a highly competitive job in the finance or consulting industry from your background, it's going to be quite an uphill climb.

Your lack of non-accounting experience and "middle-of-the-rankings MBA" is going to hurt you as you'll be fighting for spots against post-mbas with much more or much more relevant experience. With that said, a clear goal, enough persistence, and networking will definitely give you a shot.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads