• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Los Angeles Shopping + Dining Thread

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
BTW, they are installing parking gates at Westside Pavillion. bleh. the mall sucks but this even gives me LESS of a reason to go there....

pinoy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CityHunter
I've tried Carmela at the South Pasadena Farmer's Market and that stuff is awesome. More Bi-Rite, less Scoops.
They don't dive into Crazyville with their flavors, but they are still pretty uncommon (salted caramel, buttermilk strawberry, earl grey, etc)

Carmela's mint w cocoa nibs is crazy amazing.

big taco fan here too...

anyone hit up mexicali taco co. on 1st and beaudry? best carne asada in LA.

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i need to expand my taco game. love tacos.

not a fan of king taco or tacos mexico..the big taco chains around East LA....hate it when they put the hot sauce on it. not a fan, although i like spicy foods

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
I still go to La Estrella #3 sometimes, even though I live nowhere near it these days.
Originally Posted by pinoy
Carmela's mint w cocoa nibs is crazy amazing. .
Their Lavender Honey might be the best ice cream I've ever had.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Xericx
i need to expand my taco game. love tacos.

not a fan of king taco or tacos mexico..the big taco chains around East LA....hate it when they put the hot sauce on it. not a fan, although i like spicy foods

does not compute, you have bizarre preferences dude

Originally Posted by mordecai
I still go to La Estrella #3 sometimes, even though I live nowhere near it these days.

Their Lavender Honey might be the best ice cream I've ever had.

Need to try this.

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jet
does not compute, you have bizarre preferences dude

many places just put too much hot sauce and it kills the flavor. i go to mexico very frequently, usually the tacos come plain and they're way better that way..they put the salsas, onions, pineapple, etc on the side.

this is how tacos should be done:
4024802707_24a729ff94_z.jpg
with the condiments on the side that you can apply yourself.

prefer them like this:
4032549414_5fcec0dddf_z.jpg

then you do your own condiments:
4032550490_880cbeed9c_z.jpg

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
speaking of tacos: esp fish tacos....

anyone try Ricky's Fish Tacos? It seems like a hassle finding it, then parking.

Not really a fan of Best Fish Taco in Ensenada over in Los Feliz....I do like Taco Baja Ensenada over in East LA though and Taco Nazo (chain).

CityHunter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
anyone try Ricky's Fish Tacos? It seems like a hassle finding it, then parking.

RFT is the ****. And Ricky is mad cool himself. Sometimes his homie comes in with homemade ice cream and fried bananas. Man I want some right now.

And yes, Ensenada's Best is underwhelming.

pinoy

Reaction score
speaking of tacos: esp fish tacos.... anyone try Ricky's Fish Tacos? It seems like a hassle finding it, then parking. Not really a fan of Best Fish Taco in Ensenada over in Los Feliz....I do like Taco Baja Ensenada over in East LA though and Taco Nazo (chain).
yeah taco nazo sucks bro... Ricky's Fish Tacos is incredible. Worth the wait and the hassle. Park in the Vons lot across the street then run over and get your tacos lol
many places just put too much hot sauce and it kills the flavor. i go to mexico very frequently, usually the tacos come plain and they're way better that way..they put the salsas, onions, pineapple, etc on the side. this is how tacos should be done:
Agreed. Asada should be done on a grill not on a flattop like what everyone in LA does... Al Pastor should be cut off a trompa into your tortilla, not cut the griddled... your photos look fantastic. I still think MexicaliTacosCo northwest of DTLA (1st and Beaudry) serves up the best carne asada in LA. Try it and see for yourself! Leo's Tacos (not the one in Echo Park) but the one on Venice/La Brea serves up the best al pastor... right off the trompa too! La Estrella is just okay.. I'm a buche fan too and thankfully many dudes do a more than decent job w it

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
nice, bookmarked. i might be downtown in LA tonight for Mindshare.

Rocketsfan85

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pinoy
yeah taco nazo sucks bro... Ricky's Fish Tacos is incredible. Worth the wait and the hassle. Park in the Vons lot across the street then run over and get your tacos lol

Agreed. Asada should be done on a grill not on a flattop like what everyone in LA does... Al Pastor should be cut off a trompa into your tortilla, not cut the griddled... your photos look fantastic.

I still think MexicaliTacosCo northwest of DTLA (1st and Beaudry) serves up the best carne asada in LA. Try it and see for yourself!

Leo's Tacos (not the one in Echo Park) but the one on Venice/La Brea serves up the best al pastor... right off the trompa too!

La Estrella is just okay.. I'm a buche fan too and thankfully many dudes do a more than decent job w it

I agree with Leo's Tacos having great al pastor. El Chato taco truck up the street on La Brea/Olympic has great carne asada. I notice you guys were talking about burgers on the previous pages. Have you guys tried the pork burger at Wood Spoon in downtown? They have great pot pies as well.

CityHunter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Heading to Mas Malo on Friday. Any experiences? Yelp hates it, but rarely do I trust Yelp.

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
went to Blue Marlin on Sawtelle today for lunch. I like it sometimes and its easy to get in and out of..japanese-french fusion...they have nice hot pots....some interesting pastas and I like their tonkatsu with tomato sauce.... there was a hamburg steak over rice topped with a cheese/cream sauce. very grubbin'!
5640180598_4d5e534e97_z.jpg

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by benjamin831
Any good donut shops around the la brea park area?
the one in the farmer's market is not bad (bobs?). not really a doughnut expert but they have them available, with a nice selection and its across the street.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads