• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Worst Video Game Sequels

Hop

Reaction score
Originally Posted by amstokesdb9
8 was a lot weirder than 7 but I enjoyed it. I thought 9 wasn't that great.

I agree, the story in 8 went places my 11-12 year old mind couldn't comprehend but I remember that the battle system was fantastic. It was definitely an above average game...the same cant be said for FF 13...

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score
if we're talking about final fantasy games, ffx-2 has to be the worst sequel. there are really only two real sequels to ff games...x-2 and the ff4 one

Sesame Seed

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Slopho
When MK1 came out they said that Goro was the last of his kind. The next thing I know there is Shevia (Sp?) and a whole army of those 4 armed freaks fighting an army of Minotoros.
Goro is great. I like Motaro’s design, too. For MK3, I’d have made him playable. Make Shang Tsung playable (once again, retain him as the last boss). Make Reptile playable. Add Sindel (sub Tsung in for Khan in her back-story), Kabal, and Nightwolf. That’s 18 characters for a third game. They were so far off track by this time.

Originally Posted by matik23
lol @ street fighter the movie the game. I remember that. Horrible horrible game. And Street Fighter 3 as in 3rd Strike? Don't be mad cause you can't kara throw son.
No E. Honda, Blanka, Zangief, Guile, Dhalsim, Balrog, Vega, Sagat, Bison = epic fail. SF4 has those characters and is still an abysmal game.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
SF4, bugs in challenge mode aside, was awesome dude. SF 3rd strike is still probably the best SF, though.

pvrhye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nahneun
if we're talking about final fantasy games, ffx-2 has to be the worst sequel. there are really only two real sequels to ff games...x-2 and the ff4 one

Mechanically it played well. It's not like 8 with the horrible cast, nonsensical story and tedious draw system.

Generally there's a inverse relationship between Nomura involvement and my enjoyment of a final fantasy.

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pvrhye
Mechanically it played well. It's not like 8 with the horrible cast, nonsensical story and tedious draw system.

Generally there's a inverse relationship between Nomura involvement and my enjoyment of a final fantasy.

mmm...8 wasn't my favorite either, but the story wasn't THAT bad...

will agree that the cast was terrible though.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hop
I agree, the story in 8 went places my 11-12 year old mind couldn't comprehend but I remember that the battle system was fantastic. It was definitely an above average game...the same cant be said for FF 13...

The battle system was fantastic? As I recall, it was a nightmare of boredom. Farming spells via Draw? No, thanks. Horrible idea.

Brian SD

Reaction score
I didn't really like FF8 as much as 7, nor did I like 7 as much as 6, but I wouldn't say any of them are bad sequels, they just didn't grab me as much as their predecessors. Oblivion seems the same to me. I think it's a good game, just not my cuppa. When I think of bad sequels, I think of things like Devil May Cry 2 Sonic the Hedgehog 2006 Prince of Persia: Warrior Within and Resident Evil 5 - both came following some of the greatest games of all time (Sands of Time and RE4), and underdelivered

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Once again I am going to bring up Dragon Age 2. I gave it another shot last night for about an hour, thinking "Oh, what the hell, maybe I was too harsh in my evaluation last time."

Turns out I had been, if anything, too lenient.

Holy hell, this game sucks cock. Such an epic letdown of a sequel. It should be used as instructional material in video game design schools, in a semester-long class called "Why You Shouldn't Try To Fix What Ain't Broken."

Manny Calavera

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pac-Man: Championship Edition DX - Before the console had other games I actually wanted to play on it, like Rez HD, Braid and Limbo, I paid $300 for a 360 just to play the $10 original. A perfect gameplay system and the ultimate love letter created by Iwatani, Pac-Man's creator. The sequel piled unnecessary **** on top of it, divided the high score community and busted the FPS.

post-We Love Katamari Katamari - Another example of Namco milking aesthetic perfection and adding unnecessarily to what is one of the few "perfect" games after the original creator has moved on.

This-gen Pro Evo Soccer: ****. Thank God for FIFer and Football Manager.

Marvel vs Capcom 3 - I know the underlying system is fine, but graphically it's such a huge departure from the beautiful, hand-drawn 2. This and SFIV are two of the only games I can't stand to play because of their aesthetic failings. Fug. Make me queasy.

So yeah, pretty much any sequel coming out of Japan. Aside from a few exceptions like Team ICO, the Persona team, Platinum and Ignition Tokyo, the devs are creatively bankrupt while the pubs haven't yet embraced the idea of games as "services" that've given Western games so much perceive value.

Brian SD

Reaction score
MvC3 is beautiful IMO. The art in MvC2 was largely atrocious, just a mish-mash of old recycled sprites, with some characters even downgraded from their original incarnations (like Sentinel). Best design in MvC2 is Jin, and he's an MvC character, not from 2.

JapanAlex01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Every Final Fantasy game after VII (apart from, maybe, IX?). Edit: Lol, just noticed you've all been talking about them! III (or VI) was the best. VII was second best. Then maybe I and II collectively. VIII was ******* ****. IX was good, but a little weak. I don't get the fascination with X (it was pretty ****/just down right annoying!). Everything after that sucked, too. Online sucked. Final Fantasy ratings: 1. III (A+) 2. VII (A+) 3. I & II (A) 4. IX (A-) ----- progressively getting worse ----- 5. XI (A-/honourable mention) 6. X (honourable mention) 7. XIII (honourable mention) 8. XII (honourable mention) 9. VIII (honourable mention) Never played X-2. I mean, who the **** did? You know what FF needs, right now? Some western designers on their team! The games are getting progressively more sissy, and then need some people with balls! Not to racial stereotype, but the Japanese can be a weak (I've lived there)..!

ShaunHWright

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Wrigglez
another vote for KOTOR 2, but KOTOR 1 was a hard act to follow

Indeed ! I'd have KOTOR 2, Devil May Cry 2 and for some reason Fallout New Vegas too. I was just too much like Fallout 3 for my liking
laugh.gif

Jsoftz

Reaction score
In the same vein as the guys talking about Civ.. SimCity Societies. I was raised on SimCity and really really enjoyed SimCity 4. I occasionally get hankerings to go back and play it, but you can only play the same game so many times. I know that SimCity Societies was only really the same series in title but damn- I really need a SimCity 5 to come out. Nothing quite like that.

Another sequel that disappointed me was Mother 3. I didn't end up beating it but I felt like it lacked most of the wonderful quirkiness that made Mother 2 (Earthbound) awesome. Still one of my favorite games to date.

Jsoftz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ShaunHWright
Indeed ! I'd have KOTOR 2, Devil May Cry 2 and for some reason Fallout New Vegas too. I was just too much like Fallout 3 for my liking
laugh.gif

Oh man I loved Fallout NV- I don't consider it a sequel so much as an expansion, though. So many that colors my perception.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads