1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Worst Video Game Sequels

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Don Carlos, Apr 9, 2011.

1. Slopho

Slopho Senior member

Did they ever make a sequel to that game where you were shooting at penises and vaginas?

2. Coal_Mining_Polak

Coal_Mining_Polak Senior member

Age of Empires III - dumb fantasy crap added in an otherwise mildly realistic game
    Luigi's Mansion - self-explanatory
    Castlevania II - many, many reasons

Sequel being better than original - Pilotwings 64

3. dusty

dusty Senior member

Age of Empires III - dumb fantasy crap added in an otherwise mildly realistic game
    Luigi's Mansion - self-explanatory
    Castlevania II - many, many reasons

Sequel being better than original - Pilotwings 64

Luigi's Mansion is not a sequel to anything.

4. Coal_Mining_Polak

Coal_Mining_Polak Senior member

Not a sequel per se, rather an abortion of a series.

5. pvrhye

pvrhye Senior member

Street Fighter 3

I like 3.

Street Fighter the Movie the Game is probably the worst sequel of all time though.

6. matik23

matik23 Senior member

lol @ street fighter the movie the game. I remember that. Horrible horrible game. And Street Fighter 3 as in 3rd Strike? Don't be mad cause you can't kara throw son.

7. word

word Senior member

From this

[​IMG]

to this

[​IMG]

was a major step back for the Bond franchise. I know Perfect Dark was more or less a sequel to Goldeneye from Rare, but as soon as the Bond franchise left Rare it was over.

EA should stick to sports games.

8. furo

furo Senior member

Oblivion, didn't like it at all after Morrowind.

+1

the leveling system killed oblivion for me

+2

Agreed. I hated how you couldn't specialize your character as much with the skills, and I hated the leveling of enemies you encounter. Sure lots of people hated Morrowind at the beginning because you could get killed by someone much stronger than you, but that is part of why I liked it, it was more difficult. Oblivion had better graphics, but Morrowind was a much better game all around. Really hoping Skyrim is more Morrowind like than Oblivion.

+3

Morrowind was probably one of the best games ever made. The level of detail in the quests and open game play was second to none. Even with today's better graphics and whatnot, this game has yet to be eclipsed when it comes to console RPGs (non-MMOs).

Oblivion was horrid. I played it for less than a week.

Morrowind was so good that last year I resurrected my Xbox and played it all through again, finding a bunch of new items that I didn't even know existed; an awesome game in every sense. The specialization of the enchantments was probably the coolest game feature I've seen.

My hope is that TES 5 will bring back the magic that was Morrowind. Hell, even the theme song is the shit.

9. amstokesdb9

amstokesdb9 Senior member

Biggest disappointment for me was FF8. 6 was amazing and 7 very good too. 8 blew beyond words.

8 was a lot weirder than 7 but I enjoyed it. I thought 9 wasn't that great.

10. Reggs

Reggs Senior member

9 did fantasy very well. The music and art were top notch for the series.

11. Hop

Hop Well-Known Member

8 was a lot weirder than 7 but I enjoyed it. I thought 9 wasn't that great.

I agree, the story in 8 went places my 11-12 year old mind couldn't comprehend but I remember that the battle system was fantastic. It was definitely an above average game...the same cant be said for FF 13...

12. nahneun

nahneun Senior member

if we're talking about final fantasy games, ffx-2 has to be the worst sequel. there are really only two real sequels to ff games...x-2 and the ff4 one

13. Sesame Seed

Sesame Seed Senior member

When MK1 came out they said that Goro was the last of his kind. The next thing I know there is Shevia (Sp?) and a whole army of those 4 armed freaks fighting an army of Minotoros.
    Goro is great. I like Motaro’s design, too. For MK3, I’d have made him playable. Make Shang Tsung playable (once again, retain him as the last boss). Make Reptile playable. Add Sindel (sub Tsung in for Khan in her back-story), Kabal, and Nightwolf. That’s 18 characters for a third game. They were so far off track by this time.

lol @ street fighter the movie the game. I remember that. Horrible horrible game. And Street Fighter 3 as in 3rd Strike? Don't be mad cause you can't kara throw son.
    No E. Honda, Blanka, Zangief, Guile, Dhalsim, Balrog, Vega, Sagat, Bison = epic fail. SF4 has those characters and is still an abysmal game.

14. Eason

Eason Senior member

SF4, bugs in challenge mode aside, was awesome dude. SF 3rd strike is still probably the best SF, though.

15. pvrhye

pvrhye Senior member

if we're talking about final fantasy games, ffx-2 has to be the worst sequel. there are really only two real sequels to ff games...x-2 and the ff4 one

Mechanically it played well. It's not like 8 with the horrible cast, nonsensical story and tedious draw system.

Generally there's a inverse relationship between Nomura involvement and my enjoyment of a final fantasy.

16. nahneun

nahneun Senior member

Mechanically it played well. It's not like 8 with the horrible cast, nonsensical story and tedious draw system.

Generally there's a inverse relationship between Nomura involvement and my enjoyment of a final fantasy.

mmm...8 wasn't my favorite either, but the story wasn't THAT bad...

will agree that the cast was terrible though.

17. Don Carlos

Don Carlos Senior member

I agree, the story in 8 went places my 11-12 year old mind couldn't comprehend but I remember that the battle system was fantastic. It was definitely an above average game...the same cant be said for FF 13...

The battle system was fantastic? As I recall, it was a nightmare of boredom. Farming spells via Draw? No, thanks. Horrible idea.

18. Brian SD

Brian SD Senior member

I didn't really like FF8 as much as 7, nor did I like 7 as much as 6, but I wouldn't say any of them are bad sequels, they just didn't grab me as much as their predecessors. Oblivion seems the same to me. I think it's a good game, just not my cuppa. When I think of bad sequels, I think of things like Devil May Cry 2 Sonic the Hedgehog 2006 Prince of Persia: Warrior Within and Resident Evil 5 - both came following some of the greatest games of all time (Sands of Time and RE4), and underdelivered

19. Don Carlos

Don Carlos Senior member

Once again I am going to bring up Dragon Age 2. I gave it another shot last night for about an hour, thinking "Oh, what the hell, maybe I was too harsh in my evaluation last time."

Turns out I had been, if anything, too lenient.

Holy hell, this game sucks cock. Such an epic letdown of a sequel. It should be used as instructional material in video game design schools, in a semester-long class called "Why You Shouldn't Try To Fix What Ain't Broken."

20. Manny Calavera

Manny Calavera Senior member

Pac-Man: Championship Edition DX - Before the console had other games I actually wanted to play on it, like Rez HD, Braid and Limbo, I paid $300 for a 360 just to play the $10 original. A perfect gameplay system and the ultimate love letter created by Iwatani, Pac-Man's creator. The sequel piled unnecessary shit on top of it, divided the high score community and busted the FPS.

post-We Love Katamari Katamari - Another example of Namco milking aesthetic perfection and adding unnecessarily to what is one of the few "perfect" games after the original creator has moved on.

This-gen Pro Evo Soccer: Shit. Thank God for FIFer and Football Manager.

Marvel vs Capcom 3 - I know the underlying system is fine, but graphically it's such a huge departure from the beautiful, hand-drawn 2. This and SFIV are two of the only games I can't stand to play because of their aesthetic failings. Fug. Make me queasy.

So yeah, pretty much any sequel coming out of Japan. Aside from a few exceptions like Team ICO, the Persona team, Platinum and Ignition Tokyo, the devs are creatively bankrupt while the pubs haven't yet embraced the idea of games as "services" that've given Western games so much perceive value.