• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

conservative business dress WAYWRN: An Experiment

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
I think ed is right but wrong. Yes, many of the squares here are not good. But there is virtually no ensemble that does not benefit from white linen, square fold.

some of my favorite looks in this threak (quar's wedding ensemble, your pics, greg's pics, trini, skinny goom's, among others) would lose nothing by removing the square and in many cases would gain, IMO. In the best outfits, in particular conservative business dress stuff, the shirt collar/tie and their relationship to the suiting is what makes the outfit really pop, for me. The square becomes a bit of a distraction. I've gone to wearing a white/cream square only when I wear my solid navy blazer, other than that, I pretty much never wear a square. I think the silk squares with all the crazy colors only take away from outfits. Also, too many patterned shirts in people's wardrobes. Stripes are one thing, but multi stripes, multi checks etc, unless very, very sedate, will only distract. Patterned suit,patterned shirt, patterned square, seen to often on this forum and almost always not good.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
some of my favorite looks in this threak (quar's wedding ensemble, your pics, greg's pics, trini, skinny goom's, among others) would lose nothing by removing the square and in many cases would gain, IMO. In the best outfits, in particular conservative business dress stuff, the shirt collar/tie and their relationship to the suiting is what makes the outfit really pop, for me. The square becomes a bit of a distraction. I've gone to wearing a white/cream square only when I wear my solid navy blazer, other than that, I pretty much never wear a square. I think the silk squares with all the crazy colors only take away from outfits. Also, too many patterned shirts in people's wardrobes. Stripes are one thing, but multi stripes, multi checks etc, unless very, very sedate, will only distract. Patterned suit,patterned shirt, patterned square, seen to often on this forum and almost always not good.

I disagree in two small ways. I think if you have a sedate outfit overall (solid suit, solid shirt, low key tie) a patterned square is nice. I think some of the problem you diagnose is caused not necessarily by patterned squares per se but by ugly or badly chosen squares. Another problem is the big poof that people use. You don't neet to show much.

I also maintain that there is no outfit that does not benefit from white linen.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Explain to me why you like this tie.
confused.gif

Effective distraction from disparate pocket square.
blush.gif

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tie is a bit haremish but OK. Square is not great.

My square selection is admittedly limited. However, there's not space in my budget to expand at the moment. Happy to accept donations.

Originally Posted by gdl203
Explain to me why you like this tie.
confused.gif

I don't expect to change anyone's minds or hope for anything more than total derision of my affinity for the John Comfort line of prints and paisleys…

Colors are more muted IRL, but that's a limitation of a cell phone shot in an artifical light setting.

Or this:
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Effective distraction from disparate pocket square.
blush.gif

But see above re: limited square selection. Perhaps I'd be better without it at all a la SG.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I disagree in two small ways. I think if you have a sedate outfit overall (solid suit, solid shirt, low key tie) a patterned square is nice. I think some of the problem you diagnose is caused not necessarily by patterned squares per se but by ugly or badly chosen squares. Another problem is the big poof that people use. You don't neet to show much.

I also maintain that there is no outfit that does not benefit from white linen.

This makes me think of Ed's earlier point about gaudy squares. I have some that are pretty bright, but I think they can work in the right (usually summery) context. Not so much when I tried to pair the bright yellow with a donegal coat, even though there was yellow in the tie.

I think square gaudiness is usually the result of poor application and excessively effusive display.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MBreinin
BurningCar2.JPG

here is an example of the good/bad that I was just talking about. I really like this shirt collar on Mike, the points are long enough and the spread wide, but not overly so. It frames his face/tie/suit lapels perfectly and it "tames" his wide shoulders a bit. On the bad sad, I would not wear the pin striped suit, striped shirt and that gorgeous, absolutely beautiful, magnificent, out of this world, kick ass, unlined striped 6 fold tie all in the same outfit. I know the patterns of different scales rule, but I think that most of the time, a patterned suit will be better served by a solid shirt. Also, here is an instance where I would prefer no square as the fit of the items is very good, and I feel the square distracts a bit from that.

BTW, what is the deal with people in this threak wearing these gunboats with their suits
eek.gif

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by luftvier
My square selection is admittedly limited. However, there's not space in my budget to expand at the moment. Happy to accept donations.

I have a number of ugly ties that I no longer wear but that's not much help to you.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by luftvier

But see above re: limited square selection. Perhaps I'd be better without it at all a la SG.

Most of my favorites were bought for less than $10 shipped on eBay.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
BTW, what is the deal with people in this threak wearing these gunboats with their suits
eek.gif

It's where Naples and Trad connect.

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Q.
eek.gif

A.
It's where Naples and Trad connect.

Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Most of my favorites were bought for less than $10 shipped on eBay.

I'll have to keep a look out.

P.S. Refolded square to look less stupid. A mild improvement.

oldog/oldtrix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
there is virtually no ensemble that does not benefit from [1] white linen, [2] square fold.

I've written this before, but, just for me, yes to [1] and no to [2]. Though I virtually never use a white square, it will almost always work. Hence I keep a couple, along with other solid colors and a few paisleys, in my file cabinet. Here's today's combination as posted above and with a white square puffed.

And here are a couple of other possibilities when the sun is higher:

srivats

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Most people's looks would improve 10 fold if they wore better shirt collars and ditched their squares. These are two areas were most of the pics posted on this forum fail. People don't realize how important a shirt collar is to a suit, not just to the shirt. And most squares here are too gaudy.

Ed, what RTW shirtmakers would you recommend? i usually wear BD collars from Mercer/BB and my spread collars are lacking.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads