• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

KBW

Reaction score
Originally Posted by yjeezle
anyone know how expensive a G25/G36 is to maintain?

I had an 05 from new for 4 years and I never had to do anything other than routine maintenance. I drove right at 90K miles with basically zero problems. Only thing I noticed was that the paint seemed ****** but I waxed it every 3-5 months and did some other things to maintain the paint and it ended up holding up pretty well considering it was parked out in the sun every day while I was in college.

L.R.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To be honest, I hate most cars. They're either boring, or cool in such a way that they'll only be cool until the next version comes out. Thus I'm stuck looking for affordable, classic cars.

I love the BMW 2002, and plan on tracking a solid one down as my first real car.

yjeezle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KBW
I had an 05 from new for 4 years and I never had to do anything other than routine maintenance. I drove right at 90K miles with basically zero problems. Only thing I noticed was that the paint seemed ****** but I waxed it every 3-5 months and did some other things to maintain the paint and it ended up holding up pretty well considering it was parked out in the sun every day while I was in college.

so how much does did routine maintenance cost on average? do you, by any chance, know if this is more or less than luxury cars in the same class (surprisingly, Lexus' are pretty expensive to maintain) did you do it at the dealer or did you go somewhere else and get it taken care of?

infiniti is supposed the be the "japanese bmw" is a g35 pretty fun to drive?

so the reason why i'm asking is because i used to drive a 350z then traded that in for something a little bigger in the altima coupe but now i'd really like to drive something with 4 doors.

Originally Posted by L.R.
To be honest, I hate most cars. They're either boring, or cool in such a way that they'll only be cool until the next version comes out. Thus I'm stuck looking for affordable, classic cars.

I love the BMW 2002, and plan on tracking a solid one down as my first real car.

i generally agree with you but maintenance costs are killer for bmw's.

Navi

Reaction score
qV2z9.jpg

'97 2 door imsprezza which has had way too many problems for my wallet to handle
frown.gif

L.R.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yjeezle

i generally agree with you but maintenance costs are killer for bmw's.

You see, I didn't know this. This is why I need to watch this thread haha.

In my area, everyone, and I mean everyone get their liscence on their 16 b-day. Cars and vehicles are so needed here, it's practically impossible to not own one. I'm not really a normal person sometimes, and didn't get one until I was 22..... I feel I've missed out a lot on car culture and knowledge.

uhurit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by UnFacconable
Thinking about leasing a car and looking to the forum cognoscenti (and Piobaire as resident lease pimp). Have been thinking about A5, Q5, 5 series or E-class for a 3 year lease. I'm fairly unrealistic, so I've been hoping to get a 5-series, A6 or E-class if I could get one for around 500-600 a month (with no cap reduction), although that looks to be all but impossible. Failing that, I'd probably jump into an A5 or Q5 which I know can be had for about $500. Having done a modicum of research, I realize the most important factor for me is the residual value, which is the only reason the E-class is in the running (seems like Mercedes often have much better residual than BMW and Audi although right now it looks to be only about 1% better over 3 years).

Is it basically the case that the money factor and residual are non-negotiable and I have to do my best to get them on purchase price? I can live with 10k miles a year, so I'll be going in that direction to increase the residual. To be clear, my goal is to have the lowest 3-year total cost - don't care if that means big upfront payment or not. I honestly wouldn't mind paying the full 3-year amount up front if it would save me a decent amount of money, I just don't want to pay more than $18k for the full 3-year term.

I'm in the bay area, so any advice on dealers/folks to contact would be appreciated.

I suggest going to Mercedes financial website and running the payment calculator to get an idea. Keep in mind that MSRP prices listed there do NOT include options. Actual payments would be around $20.00 per thousand in options more expensive

UnFacconable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by uhurit
I suggest going to Mercedes financial website and running the payment calculator to get an idea. Keep in mind that MSRP prices listed there do NOT include options. Actual payments would be around $20.00 per thousand in options more expensive

Thanks - the MB and BMW websites just confirm the baseline - and the answer is that right now the prices generally available are high. $775 for a 3-year lease on an E350 ($50k MSRP, 10k per year). A 535 is $700 for a 3-year lease ($53k MSRP, 10k per year). Both those payments assume you walk in off the street and pay full price. Neither of those cars is worth $150-$200 more than an A5 to me (which I think I can walk in off the street and get for $550 a month) - so I guess I'm hoping someone knows something that I don't about this game.

Time isn't really an issue for me right now, so if it's a bad time to lease, I can wait. I don't really need a new car right now, but it would make my commute just a bit more comfortable. If I can find a decent car for the right price, I'd jump on it.

csoukoulis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by UnFacconable
Thanks - the MB and BMW websites just confirm the baseline - and the answer is that right now the prices generally available are high. $775 for a 3-year lease on an E350 ($50k MSRP, 10k per year). A 535 is $700 for a 3-year lease ($53k MSRP, 10k per year). Both those payments assume you walk in off the street and pay full price. Neither of those cars is worth $150-$200 more than an A5 to me (which I think I can walk in off the street and get for $550 a month) - so I guess I'm hoping someone knows something that I don't about this game.

Time isn't really an issue for me right now, so if it's a bad time to lease, I can wait. I don't really need a new car right now, but it would make my commute just a bit more comfortable. If I can find a decent car for the right price, I'd jump on it.

Where are you located? If by any chance you're close to Dallas, i have friends who work at Mercedes and BMW stores...

UnFacconable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by csoukoulis
Where are you located? If by any chance you're close to Dallas, i have friends who work at Mercedes and BMW stores...

I'm in San Francisco, but I appreciate the thought.

uhurit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There seem to be no great leases in the present time, i.e. no subsidized residuals (except on E350 bluetech models) + money is expensive

The only car with extremely cheap money factor (under 1%) is 2011 Volvo S80, but like many other things, you get what you pay for

Beckwith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The MB ML350 is a steal right here. New body style coming out in a few months, if that doesn't bother you then those could be had low $500's with no money down. A steal for a very nicely appointed car. Also, if you are in NYC Tri-State try MB manhattan. They are moving showrooms and blowing out cars. PM me if you need a sales contact.

UnFacconable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Beckwith
The MB ML350 is a steal right here. New body style coming out in a few months, if that doesn't bother you then those could be had low $500's with no money down. A steal for a very nicely appointed car. Also, if you are in NYC Tri-State try MB manhattan. They are moving showrooms and blowing out cars. PM me if you need a sales contact.

That's good to know. I like the current ML, although it's not an ideal replacement car for me since it's not really a great commuter or a good city car. I'm in an SUV now and really want to get into a normal car.

I like the Bluetec suggestion above - the residual appears to be about 6% better than on comparable cars which makes a pretty big difference in payments. I might actually be able to snag one for my $500 price.

Bananafish

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Navi
qV2z9.jpg

'97 2 door imsprezza which has had way too many problems for my wallet to handle
frown.gif

Just leased a 2011 Touring model (5-door) the other day... it was a demo with 0km and a steal at $340 tax-in with $500 down. Doesn't even make sense to buy at those prices! Admittedly, I wish I lived in a different climate so I could fix up a classic, but it's impossible to maintain with our roads and winters.

Jbreen1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Posting these up because someone on here wanted to see the car after the sport springs and spacers were put on. Crappy pics but I took them in the rain right after I picked the car up from AWE. I'm liking the drop, although I was expecting it to be a little lower. Handles much better.
photo-1.jpg

photo2-1.jpg

Thinking about putting these wheels on. Couldn't find them on a B8. How do you guys think they would look on my car? They are 18's. My current wheels are 17's.
Audi_B7_A4_Hartmann_Euromesh_4_AN_18_NK.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads