• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

kmdsimpson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by harveyrabbit
Complete speculation, but it seems to me the availability off RRL has expanded greatly in recent years. I think the line has grown, and now offers a much bigger range of products. This may mean the line is losing less money, and is consequently more viable. I would suspect that money might have been lost on the more specialized seasonal collections, with the icon staples helping to offset these costs. Someone more knowledgeable about the history of the line might be able to weigh in on my conjecture.
Originally Posted by el duderino
That's actually pretty spot on. The only thing I don't know is whether or not they have been/are profitable, maybe someone like Blake can chime in on that.
I hope that is the situation, as well. It may be that closing most of the RRL-only stores and expanding the space in mainline RL stores is saving them some money - and maybe raising their profile, too. When I was trying to research those made-in-Japan jeans, I found some references to Rakuten. There are a ton of sellers with RRL merchandise there, so maybe they are also gaining traction there, as well. http://search.rakuten.co.jp/search/mall/rrl/-/ (BTW - if you think prices here are high....) The part that would worry me is the large number of limited edition/small numbers items that they sell. Those have to be expensive to design and make, and despite the price premiums they get, I would imagine they'd be the first items to go in a crunch. The wider availability of the Icon items, though, is an encouraging and hopefully offsetting factor.

harveyrabbit

Reaction score
I would love to see a more thorough history of the line and the various collections through the years. It would be a great project to then try to crowd-source images to complete a sort of digital lookbook. I would be less interested in the icon pieces than the more specialized work. If the line ever did meet an unfortunate demise it would be a very cool archive.

el duderino

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kmdsimpson
When I was trying to research those made-in-Japan jeans, I found some references to Rakuten. There are a ton of sellers with RRL merchandise there, so maybe they are also gaining traction there, as well. http://search.rakuten.co.jp/search/mall/rrl/-/ (BTW - if you think prices here are high....)

The part that would worry me is the large number of limited edition/small numbers items that they sell. Those have to be expensive to design and make, and despite the price premiums they get, I would imagine they'd be the first items to go in a crunch. The wider availability of the Icon items, though, is an encouraging and hopefully offsetting factor.

Actually, the recent ltd ed pieces have almost always been selling out. If anything is left, it's the typically XL and up, which is always leftover regardless if it's ltd ed or not.

As for RRL being popular in Japan, if you ever read Free & Easy, it is heavily featured in there. The japanese are probably the biggest consumers of RRL, and the only reason you see them sold online a lot in Japan is due to resellers. They can make a killing with outlet or even current season pieces as they just sell it for twice the tagged MSRP which is still cheaper than buying from a RL store in Japan.

kmdsimpson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by el duderino
Actually, the recent ltd ed pieces have almost always been selling out. If anything is left, it's the typically XL and up, which is always leftover regardless if it's ltd ed or not.

As for RRL being popular in Japan, if you ever read Free & Easy, it is heavily featured in there. The japanese are probably the biggest consumers of RRL, and the only reason you see them sold online a lot in Japan is due to resellers. They can make a killing with outlet or even current season pieces as they just sell it for twice the tagged MSRP which is still cheaper than buying from a RL store in Japan.

Right, they do sell out. What I meant is that they are produced in such limited numbers to begin with. So if you think about the designers' time, then getting samples made, then the higher per-piece cost of doing small batches in runs, it just seems to me that the overhead per piece is much higher. I don't have any industry experience, so I could be overestimating the cost here. But it's not like selling mainline Polo shirts, where they make the same item in huge amounts, so the up-front design cost happens less often, and they can bid out work to different manufactures from time to time.

I did get the feeling that a lot of the items on Rakuten were resellers (not so easy to navigate for someone who does not speak Japanese). But you're right - the prices are still much higher than here.

kmdsimpson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NAMOR
Recent RRL haul:

Top to bottom;

Low Straights
LE Selvedge Officer Chino
Selvedge Officer Chino
Charleston Striped Pant (Awesome for spring)

Wool/Cashmere Cardi
Linen/Wool/Poly Blend Reversible Sweater (instant favorite)
Henley Hoody
Flannel
Chambray

Namor, what's your current opinion on the sweater? Still love it after having it a while?

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Namor, what's your current opinion on the sweater? Still love it after having it a while?
yep, still love it. if you buy it, make sure to get one that fits you spot on. I wear mine with my slim rigids and it makes for a clean slim look EDIT - the Charleston Striped Pant is for sale in my sig. A little too slim for me. If anyone sees a pair in tagged 34 or 35, let me know. Thanks!

osadolor619

Reaction score
Originally Posted by NAMOR
yep, still love it. if you buy it, make sure to get one that fits you spot on. I wear mine with my slim rigids and it makes for a clean slim look

EDIT - the Charleston Striped Pant is for sale in my sig. A little too slim for me. If anyone sees a pair in tagged 34 or 35, let me know. Thanks!

I'm still mad that tha sweater didn't fit me!!

wEstSidE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Right, they do sell out. What I meant is that they are produced in such limited numbers to begin with. So if you think about the designers' time, then getting samples made, then the higher per-piece cost of doing small batches in runs, it just seems to me that the overhead per piece is much higher. I don't have any industry experience, so I could be overestimating the cost here. But it's not like selling mainline Polo shirts, where they make the same item in huge amounts, so the up-front design cost happens less often, and they can bid out work to different manufactures from time to time.

I did get the feeling that a lot of the items on Rakuten were resellers (not so easy to navigate for someone who does not speak Japanese). But you're right - the prices are still much higher than here.

most sites on rakuten are grey market resellers.

Rayson

Reaction score
Originally Posted by harveyrabbit
I would love to see a more thorough history of the line and the various collections through the years. It would be a great project to then try to crowd-source images to complete a sort of digital lookbook. I would be less interested in the icon pieces than the more specialized work. If the line ever did meet an unfortunate demise it would be a very cool archive.

This is something I'd like to see, and I'd be at least as interested in records of the icon stuff as the limited. No shops with substantial RRL collections to browse through in the UK. I'd always like to see an attempt at a systematic history as well anyway. A complete unofficial archive must be all but impossible because much of the RRL range is limited (it's also, I gather from my back issues of Free & Easy and here and there, about as diverse as you can get within the remit of vintage Americana or whatever you'd like to call it). Plus, it's been around off and on for 18 years. I'd love just to know what currently comprises the icon collection. I've trawled through this thread of late so now at least have the names of recent limited collections, which I've found helpful:

Spring/summer 2010: Ship Yard, American Graffiti, Taos, Charleston, Key West
Autumn/winter 2010: Outlaw, Lighthouse, Alaska, Orchard St, Holiday Lodge
Spring/summer 2011: Grand Canyon, Bonnie And Clyde, Heartland, Wind Ship

I'm also nosey about RRL's profits (I know some people early in the thread were quite upset at even the idea of such talk here, but many of the posts are much more than strict, certainly more than sycophantic, discussions of the clothes). Limited edition runs have been more popular than ever with businesses over recent years, clothes companies in particular. RRL's less-is-more promotion seems successful too. It's unusual for a company as high-profile as Polo and it leads to the speculations I make here, or something like them ("RRL is the most profitable arm of Polo", "RRL breaks even", "the rest of Polo subsidises RRL", "RRL to close", "RRL to expand"). This helps the cult-like aura the brand tries to cultivate. RRL at least lends kudos to Polo, but I suspect it errs on the side of hugely profitable in its own right. ******* hell this is a long post. PS hello.

osadolor619

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rayson
This is something I'd like to see, and I'd be at least as interested in records of the icon stuff as the limited. No shops with substantial RRL collections to browse through in the UK. I'd always like to see an attempt at a systematic history as well anyway. A complete unofficial archive must be all but impossible because much of the RRL range is limited (it's also, I gather from my back issues of Free & Easy and here and there, about as diverse as you can get within the remit of vintage Americana or whatever you'd like to call it). Plus, it's been around off and on for 18 years. I'd love just to know what currently comprises the icon collection. I've trawled through this thread of late so now at least have the names of recent limited collections, which I've found helpful:

Spring/summer 2010: Ship Yard, American Graffiti, Taos, Charleston, Key West
Autumn/winter 2010: Outlaw, Lighthouse, Alaska, Orchard St, Holiday Lodge
Spring/summer 2011: Grand Canyon, Bonnie And Clyde, Heartland, Wind Ship

I'm also nosey about RRL's profits (I know some people early in the thread were quite upset at even the idea of such talk here, but many of the posts are much more than strict, certainly more than sycophantic, discussions of the clothes). Limited edition runs have been more popular than ever with businesses over recent years, clothes companies in particular. RRL's less-is-more promotion seems successful too. It's unusual for a company as high-profile as Polo and it leads to the speculations I make here, or something like them ("RRL is the most profitable arm of Polo", "RRL breaks even", "the rest of Polo subsidises RRL", "RRL to close", "RRL to expand"). This helps the cult-like aura the brand tries to cultivate. RRL at least lends kudos to Polo, but I suspect it errs on the side of hugely profitable in its own right. ******* hell this is a long post. PS hello.

That... was long.

osadolor619

Reaction score
I've seen the store costs of RRL at the RL store, not too much profit. Most of the profit is being made from Polo, especially the outlet version of Polo, the super low quality that foreigners that visit the U.S. go nuts for.

Rayson

Reaction score
Originally Posted by osadolor619
I've seen the store costs of RRL at the RL store, not too much profit. Most of the profit is being made from Polo, especially the outlet version of Polo, the super low quality that foreigners that visit the U.S. go nuts for.

Cheers for this. My suspicion is wrong in that case. Let's hope then it makes enough profit (or gives the rest of Polo enough kudos) to stay afloat.

I feel the pain of anybody with too short a life to read my novel-length previous post, so let me outline the first half: it dealt with the idea of a record of RRL stuff. If anybody wants to name limited collections before 2010, details on icons clothes, that sort of thing, please do.

harveyrabbit

Reaction score
I'd be willing to help ad hoc some sort of solution at fleshing out the past collections. It probably wouldn't be too much trouble to start some sort of wiki for sourcing out and sharing more information on RRL.

Just curious, but are there any particular pieces people know about that they don't own but would love to get ahold off? For instance, I have occasionally seen RRL ponchos. I would love one for some impractical spaghetti western reason, but I have no idea what collection ever had ponchos.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads