• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

randomkoreandude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AR_Six
Disagree with everything you said here.
why? cost of admission is sky rocketing and not stopping anytime soon. just as taking the SAT does not help for college, taking the LSAT does not help for law school. nothing you learn in law school is helpful since the law changes often and it doesnt even help for the Bar exam. you have to constantly do research for whatever topic your client needs because you cant remember everything you read and stuffed into your head and its all on the job trainiing once your out which is why firms fork over millions to train their new attorneys. if it was more structured like medicine/dental where they go into residency for a period of time then fine but 3 years is a waste of time. most professions require a piece of paper that opens doors and forces students to pay astronomical fees to hear a professor drone on and on

scott.m

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any suggestions??? I'm up to moderate as per last time but we'll need entries and a good concept.

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Scott: WAYWT Z-DAY fit competition.

randomkoreandude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
Explain that "real world" concept here, I wanna know if I'm in alternative dimension x or not.

haha im just saying i like how medical schools force doctors to live out what they learn. unless your in a clinic (and most schools dont have positions available for all students) or take an internship, you learn way more during your summer job then anything you did in school

and for dental students, is it really necessary to teach them every part of the body when they are dealing with the mouth. my medschool friends are always astounded how difficult dental school becasue the beginning years are essentially the same from what they learn.

anywya i was being very general and dont want to derail the thread ... just venting in general of the high cost of graduate schools and how its now necessary to go to one in order to get a high paying job

scott.m

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Z-day is okay, but I mean, thats just really AR-fest. I'd like for it to be balanced, not everyone wears post apocalyptic swag, forget about doing it well. (Mind you, I am not saying anyone does it well.)

bows1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by randomkoreandude
why? cost of admission is sky rocketing and not stopping anytime soon.

just as taking the SAT does not help for college, taking the LSAT does not help for law school. nothing you learn in law school is helpful since the law changes often and it doesnt even help for the Bar exam. you have to constantly do research for whatever topic your client needs because you cant remember everything you read and stuffed into your head and its all on the job trainiing once your out which is why firms fork over millions to train their new attorneys.

if it was more structured like medicine/dental where they go into residency for a period of time then fine but 3 years is a waste of time.

most professions require a piece of paper that opens doors and forces students to pay astronomical fees to hear a professor drone on and on

SAT Helped me get almost a full ride
blush.gif

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
haha im just saying i like how medical schools force doctors to live out what they learn. unless your in a clinic (and most schools dont have positions available for all students) or take an internship, you learn way more during your summer job then anything you did in school

and for dental students, is it really necessary to teach them every part of the body when they are dealing with the mouth. my medschool friends are always astounded how difficult dental school becasue the beginning years are essentially the same from what they learn.

anywya i was being very general and dont want to derail the thread ... just venting in general of the high cost of graduate schools and how its now necessary to go to one in order to get a high paying job

Med school isn't really high learning though, they're glorified technicians. It should be in separate institutions for more practical people who can't juggle concepts.

randomkoreandude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bows1
SAT Helped me get almost a full ride
blush.gif

lol lsat helped me for that reason as well ... but one test dictates your next stage of education. really?

koreans take classes to beat the SAT and cant speak a lick of english when they come here. all of my friends from korea and my cousin for that matter are case in point. their parents work weekends and double jobs to pay for side schools/tutors to beat the exam. if you have the money or have parents who are willing to kill themselves for their child, there is a tutor/school that can teach you to ace MCAT, GRE, LSAT, SAT, you name it. its insane

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
why?

Here are the things you said that I disagreed with.

I had a fuckin' great time in university and I wasn't even just there to have a good time. I actually miss it, aside from exam period.
too expensive
Fair enough for you I guess but this varies, I went to UBC for undergrad and law so my loan isn't a crushing weight.
waste of time,
Stuff I learned in undergrad has actually allowed me to enjoy a lot of aspects of my life more, met tons of people many of whom I will stay in touch with for the foreseeable future, and hell see above; if you have a good time doing something for 7 years then it's hard to call it a waste of time.
unnecessary in the real world
Earlier this week an associate called me, gave me a convoluted set of facts, because of my general background knowledge in the area acquired ENTIRELY in law school I was able to figure out what direction to take it in which that lawyer hadn't even thought of. This happens all the damned time. I have no interest in crim but my advanced crim law class (which I enjoyed a lot; you can enjoy the school aspect of school as well as the social aspect) gave me a solid background in charter issues which led to me writing a brief a few weeks ago to help a corporate client with a major issue. This happens ALL THE TIME. Hell, if I hadn't gone to law school I would have never figured out what kind of practice I wanted to do - discovered that in 2L.
... but ultimately forced upon us to get the job/pay you want
If you have a particular job (lawyer / doctor / architect) you want, ie you know exactly what you want to do, then yes. If not and you just want to make a good living, no. I know plenty of people who went on from high school to do very well for themselves in trades, running successful small businesses, etc. There are easier ways to make money than what I do, I'm well aware of that, it just happens to be what I want to do.

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by scott.m
Z-day is okay, but I mean, thats just really AR-fest. I'd like for it to be balanced, not everyone wears post apocalyptic swag, forget about doing it well. (Mind you, I am not saying anyone does it well.)
Best gym swag? Remember, these contests mean absolutely nothing. It's better that they're fun and creative rather than like, swagged out.

Meis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I feel your pain....

law schools are pretty much horrible. I love how career services, after people complain how there are few to nil jobs, always pushes as a solution 'hang out your own shingle'/'work for yourself' which would be fine... except that they teach you next to nothing that's useful in the real world. A recent grad has no idea to run their own practice... neither the work or the business aspects (billing clients etc)

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
Originally Posted by scott.m
Yeah this is just me and Synthese, maybe Lane and a couple others, who have enough of this kind of wardrobe to really do such a theme justice, probably wouldn't make a good contest. But thanks for the shot there at the end.

Possible themes off top of my head:
Pick a decade (Zissou picks 1890s, Snowman picks 2070s)
Post as another poster (Uncontrol as Mellowfellow)
Everyone wear hats
Leather jacket battle (Captain I am detecting much TOJ in this sector)
Use as many colours as possible
Originally Posted by Meis
law schools are pretty much horrible. I love how career services, after people complain how there are few to nil jobs, always pushes as a solution 'hang out your own shingle'/'work for yourself' which would be fine... except that they teach you next to nothing that's useful in the real world. A recent grad has no idea to run their own practice... neither the work or the business aspects (billing clients etc)
I don't even think this should be ALLOWED until you've been called 5+ years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads