• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Cure vs Petit Standard?

esaul17

Reaction score
Was wondering what exactly the difference between the two were. I tried a search (here and basic google) and didn't see anything of use.

Also, does anyone know if there is anywhere to try them on in Toronto?

c00kz

Reaction score
Pretty sure they explain it both in terms of fit and numbers on a couple sites incl the APC one.. New Cures are Cures with a shorter rise and more dramatic taper, PS are NS with a shorter rise and slimmer leg.. They replaced the Hipster cut. If I'm incorrect on anything feel free to add, and check the APC stockist roster to see, I guess.. This fits in the APC thread.

ssheat

Reaction score
The petit standard in comparison to the new cure has a lower rise, a lower thigh, hip and upper block, but has a more evident taper where as the new cure has a slight flare near the hem. There's measurements up on a number of retail-sites, and fit pictures are everywhere, so may want to look around a little bit more.

sports

Reaction score
I don't really understand..
many sites say the Cures are more tapered than Petite Standards, but when you look at the measurements they provide the petite standards have a smaller leg opening and smaller knee.
which one of these jeans is flared?
which one is really more tapered?

I'm looking for something that is tight around the legs all the way down.. not flared
whats my best bet
thanks!

fuji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Petite standard tapers all the way down and has a smaller leg opening. New cure is tight up top and then loosens up, its a pretty **** fit in my opinion.

Harbin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did you really read the APC thread? Do your search next time more thoroughly, but to answer this question, the New Cure is tighter in the thigh and is more "flared" at the hem while the Petit Standard has a bigger thigh and tapered leg. Overall, the new cure is a skinnier cut and people usually size 1 up from their Petit standard size. If you want something that is tight around the legs all the way down, the PS would be your best bet.

Gutman

Reaction score
Bottom of the NC and NS are similar. The reason they say NC is "tapered" is that it's more generous through the *thigh* relative to top block and lower leg than the same size NS (which is slim and straight) and obviously the PS which is a beanpole leg. So if you've got reasonable thighs, but don't want to size up on the top block of NS (or have the same size NS drag down because too tight through the thigh), then maybe you need the NCs which is what I have done. Still strectching mine out though, so will see whether i made the right call. If not, then NS here i come...

I would have to say that if you're buying your first APCs online, without a fitting, then you are taking a punt.

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
Yea, the new cures are an awful fit imo. Really tight in the thighs and then it's smaller hem than new standards but not as severe as a taper (partially because the thigh is so tight)

In the same size, my petite standards have a slightly lower rise, a bit more room in the top block and thighs but with a nice taper. Much more flattering fit imo

Gutman

Reaction score
Massively conflicting views here. APC website says the NS's are "fitted" a bit around the bum, which I take to mean narrower through the upper thigh than the NCs. That seems to be the case from comparing the actual jeans, and from the comparative measurements given on some sites. The NCs are the only ones APC describes as "tapered", and given they have the same leg opening as the NSs, that must mean they are wider in the upper leg for a given size? Am I totally wrong on this?

carne

Reaction score
i have both ofthem and for me the NC is more tight than the PS especially the leg opennig !

rebornsoul

Reaction score
Originally Posted by carne
i have both ofthem and for me the NC is more tight than the PS especially the leg opennig !

this is bs, NCs have flare, so unless your PS is size 28 and your NC is 24, there is no way NC has a smaller hem than PS

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads