• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vaish/Indian tailor

Rakesh

Reaction score
Hi all,
I thought I'd revive this thread buy posting some questions.

1) Has anyone had suits made by both Vaish (New Delhi) and Kachins (Mumbai) and can compare the quality of both?
I'm of Indian origin but don't go there very often. I mostly pass though Delhi but could go though Mumbai if it was worth my while.

2) I'm planning to take fabric purchased in Italy so in terms of labour costs, are they more or less the same?

3) How does the workmanship of these Tailors compare to WW Chan in Hong Kong and Traveling Tailors like Raja Fashions

Thanks.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I had a bad experience with Kachins -- poor construction and dodgy cloth. Globetrotter had a much better experience. Still, I would try Chan over them. I have never heard a good thing about Raja fashions. Ever.

tiratela

Reaction score
Hello.. I've been in Delhi for about a year now. Went through thick and thin around Connaught Place, South Extension, and Kahn Market finding a tailor that didn't want to charge me the normal Diplomatic Prices around Chanakyapuri for labor. (Usually $100.00 + Material)

Finally gave a little shop in Sarogini Nagar a try.. Blue Star Tailor, Shop 101. So far I've had about 5 suits made from this shop and have been extremely happy. Each cost me about $65.00 total.. They speak good English and have a nice selection of material..

I've also heard of the Import taxes on material.. Believe me.. They have several shops here (Delhi Cloth House) that can compete with the best of the materials.

Good luck..

They also copied a suit my wife bought in the States.. she really likes it..

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I bought all of my tailored clothing from Kachins. the newest suit I have is 4 years old, the oldest 7 or 8. I have never retired anything, the most I have had to do is fix some buttons. I am very happy with their stuff, but frankly, I may not be the most demanding customer on this board. I always got their best fabric, some english, most italian. they were very proffetional with the details I requested, they did mutliple fittings, and I had a great relationship with the people doing my work.
I recognize that RJ and, I believe, another poster here have had bad expereinces, but mine were consistanly good. I was living in mumbai at the time, though.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chorse123
Thanks, everyone. I've written to Vaish with pictures, some criticism, and questions about what alterations he would recommend. I've also requested another round of fabric samples. I think I'd like to order a few pairs of trousers and a jacket or two for the fall.

I also noticed that they have a website coming soon: http://www.vaish.com/

It would be interesting to learn how has the suit worn two years on?

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've had the suit now for around a year. As of today, I've worn the suit only a handful of times, having come to the decision that the jacket just doesn't fit. It's too big in the chest and a little too long. It's just not right.

But I wear the trousers frequently. They fit well and are very well made, so at least it wasn't a total waste.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Jameson,

the suit I was wearing when we met was about 5 years old, one of 5 in my basic rotation. and, as you can imagine, I am not that easy to fit. I think that it is in pretty good shape, for a $500 suit, no?

Rakesh

Reaction score
How do you think Katchins, Vaish and any similar Indian tailors would do with a more 'contemporary' cut. I'm sure that they could do a good job on a traditional English cut but I like my suits a little slimmer fitting and hug my belly and hips more, kinda like this pic of a kilgour suit:
http://www.hidebehind.com/C2B1B35C

Do both Vaish and Katchins produce fully canvased/floating canvas suits?
Tiratela, does Blue Star do this?

Does anyone know the current cost (in Rupees) to get suits witch match those specs made?

Thanks for all your help, you've really opened my eyes to a whole new world
wow.gif

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GBR
It would be interesting to learn how has the suit worn two years on?
A forum member just sent me a pm about this suit and I thought I'd add to this thread. As I mentioned above, I ended up getting very little wear out of the suit last summer. The jacket is just too big for me. The shoulders are on the big side, but the chest and waist are much more like a 40 or even a 41R. Not my size, unfortunately. But there you have it. So I dropped it off at Cardelino a few days ago. They're taking in the whole thing in the back. With the jacket pinned, it looked pretty damn natty. I'll post pics when I get it back.

maxnharry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chorse123
A forum member just sent me a pm about this suit and I thought I'd add to this thread.

As I mentioned above, I ended up getting very little wear out of the suit last summer. The jacket is just too big for me. The shoulders are on the big side, but the chest and waist are much more like a 40 or even a 41R. Not my size, unfortunately. But there you have it.

So I dropped it off at Cardelino a few days ago. They're taking in the whole thing in the back. With the jacket pinned, it looked pretty damn natty. I'll post pics when I get it back.

Did you ever get your suit back?

mindscape9

Reaction score
Hi Globe,

Just had a quick question about Kachin's in Mumbai. I went there yesterday to get a suit made and they told me that all of their suits are fused. Was this your experience? Any info you can provide would be helpful.

Thanks!

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I am guessing that things have changed since I was there.

LostAbbott

Reaction score
I had a suit and four shirts made here last month around January 25th. It was a great experience. They have a large selection of fabric both European (about $800 a suit) and Indian ~$400 a suit, both quotes are for fabric and construction. The shirts were around $50 each. This is my first suit and I did a lot of research before having it made but still went in without a lot of knowledge. The Vaish's are extremely good at what they do and if you go there and let them do their thing you will be happy. Also if you are a more exacting customer they are happy to make what you want. Also they are happy to spend the time with you and answer all your questions and talk with you about any changes or tweaks you might want. I needed three trips to the tailor one to pick fabric and place the order, one for a fitting, and the last for a final fitting and pickup. i would definitely go back here and I highly recommend them to anyone traveling to Delhi.

nishan22

Reaction score
I've been going to Gabbana for a few years (same owners as Vaish). They do a really nice job but have gotten very expensive over the years (started at $350 for a suit, now really around $900 or so). Decided to forgo a bit of quality to now get suits made in Calcutta - much cheaper at around $350 - $500 suit.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads