• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vaish/Indian tailor

oscarthewild

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can get brain curry sometimes here too. Â Look for "bheja" or "maghz". Â Moi bueno.. Â Or ask.
Really - do you know of any specific places in NYC that offer brain curry? - Haandi? I actually had an International Drivers License but never had the balls to drive in Delhi. Panzer
Try Sunshine Restaurant 69-15 Northern Blvd., Woodside, NY 11370 (718) 639-6900 Have to call ahead as they dont have it all the time. Â The wet curries at this place are AMAZING..... Â Try the Korma, or the Haleem. Â Best Korma I have had in at least 10 years. Â Haleem ranks up there too. Â One of the few places where the vege dishes are good enough to make you feel guilty for eating their even better meat dishes. I usually get those big aluminum catering trays and feed all my friends. Â I think I'll start inviting those who alert me to Edward Greens in my size NWT for under a hundred bucks too.
I actually had an International Drivers License but never had the balls to drive in Delhi. Panzer
I would consider that as "I did not have enough of a vacuum between my ears to even consider driving in Delhi"

mkk

Reaction score
I've never been to the north or spent much time in cities like Bangalore, Madras/Chennai, Bombay/Mumbai. Most of my time is spent in Mysore. OK, now to get to the point... I don't like to go out to eat when in India because I'm not "allowed" to drink water (Aquaguard, bottled, whatever) outside of the home. If at relatives' homes, we always ask if the water has been boiled. I get mostly south Indian food. On occasion I have north Indian food. I like dosa with mint coconut chutney, poori, palak poori, fish curry, chicken/beef (seekh?) kebabs, appam and curry...damn, I'm getting hungry.
confused.gif

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
(Panzeraxe @ June 16 2005,11:49)
You can get brain curry sometimes here too. Â Look for "bheja" or "maghz". Â Moi bueno.. Â Or ask.
Really - do you know of any specific places in NYC that offer brain curry? - Haandi? I actually had an International Drivers License but never had the balls to drive in Delhi. Panzer
Try Sunshine Restaurant 69-15 Northern Blvd., Woodside, NY 11370 (718) 639-6900 Have to call ahead as they dont have it all the time. Â The wet curries at this place are AMAZING..... Â Try the Korma, or the Haleem. Â Best Korma I have had in at least 10 years. Â Haleem ranks up there too. Â One of the few places where the vege dishes are good enough to make you feel guilty for eating their even better meat dishes. I usually get those big aluminum catering trays and feed all my friends. Â I think I'll start inviting those who alert me to Edward Greens in my size NWT for under a hundred bucks too.
I actually had an International Drivers License but never had the balls to drive in Delhi. Panzer
I would consider that as "I did not have enough of a vacuum between my ears to even consider driving in Delhi"
oscar, have you been there lately? I remember reading something about that the cook had left last year to start her own place downtown. is it still as good?

oscarthewild

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
have you been there lately? I remember reading something about that the cook had left last year to start her own place downtown. is it still as good?
I haven't been there lately but had someone pick up food for me to eat. Lets see, I have had their food about 5+ times in the last two months. Wish I was having some tonight.

Their cook may have left. Come to think of it I had that amazing Korma about last year. The Haleem was around Oct/Nov too.

Now you are causing me anxiety, will I be able to get that korma again? However, the vegies I had, squash with chickpeas (??) was out of this world.

If you are throwing a party, their food turns out to be quite inexpensive.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
(globetrotter @ June 16 2005,14:50) have you been there lately? I remember reading something about that the cook had left last year to start her own place downtown. is it still as good?
I haven't been there lately but had someone pick up food for me to eat. Â Lets see, I have had their food about 5+ times in the last two months. Â Wish I was having some tonight. Their cook may have left. Â Come to think of it I had that amazing Korma about last year. Â The Haleem was around Oct/Nov too. Â Now you are causing me anxiety, will I be able to get that korma again? Â However, the vegies I had, squash with chickpeas (??) was out of this world. Â If you are throwing a party, their food turns out to be quite inexpensive.
cool, I'll go. I had been diappointed with places I found in nyc, so I usually drag my a** down to edison to a great hydrabadi place there.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
I don't like to go out to eat when in India because I'm not "allowed" to drink water (Aquaguard, bottled, whatever) outside of the home.  If at relatives' homes, we always ask if the water has been boiled.
We never had any problem getting bottled water in restaurants in India. As long as you deal with a reliable brand (Himalaya seemed common as did Kinley, the latter owned by Coke) and open it at the table you should be fine.

If you're concerned, just get a nice cold Limca instead. I really liked the Limca. I can do without Thums Up.

oscarthewild

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
cool, I'll go. I had been diappointed with places I found in nyc, so I usually drag my a** down to edison to a great hydrabadi place there.
Try haandi on lex and 28th. If you havent figured out by now, I have spent about a third of my life in the sub continent.

Havent tried Hyderabadi food there but the northern cooking is quite good. As I mentioned earlier, if you see any lamb raans (leg roast), grab them. They are best very fresh.

-

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Okay, here are a couple of pictures of the Meena Bazar in Hyderabad:
Thanks, Alan. It's interesting to see. For some reason I was imagining the place to be more like a market than a shop. Looks like a decent variety in cloth. What did you choose? How many shirts did you have made again?

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The suit arrived on Friday. I'm generally pleased. There are a few things I'd change, but given all the limitations (thousands and thousands of miles betwee us), I'd say they did a good job. I'll hold back more praise until I go through the Styleforum ringer.

We had guests this weekend, so no silly posing for pictures in my new suit yet. Tonight, hopefully pics tomorrow.

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I took some pictures last night in the suit and will post them tomorrow. I'm very pleased. The suit is a little boxy (though I asked for it a little relaxed), the padding in the shoulders isn't quite light enough, and the seat isn't quite flat enough, but I think the gamble paid off. I think I've got a new tailor.

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Well, here you go. Pictures of me in the first/trial suit from Vaish. The sleeves on my shirt are a quarter inch short, I believe. I didn't have the suit pressed, but steamed it in the bathroom for a while. What do you think? I'm going to send pictures to Vaish so he can make alterations to my pattern for future orders, and will perhaps have a few alterations done in NYC. What do you suggest? Thanks in advance.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the shape of the jacket with the slight waist suppression and lapel roll. The lapels look a bit wide to my eye but perhaps I'm seeing things. The dimples in the jacket behind your shoulders should be addressed. Also, the sleeves look a little fuller than they need to be.

I think the trousers look great with the exception of the seat which, as you mention, is cut much too full.

What kind of material is it?

dan

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's linen. A bit heavier than I was hoping for, but it's very hard to tell from a small swatch. I'll try to get some detail pictures tomorrow.

Thanks for the notes. I think you're definitely right about the sleeves (and the back). I also think the legs of the trousers could be slimmed a little.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics