• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeadDJ

Reaction score
Originally Posted by g transistor
If you tell them to take in the sides, they'll only take in the sides. When speaking with a tailor you gotta be really, really specific. Don't just assume they know what you mean, unless you've had the tailor for a long time. Didn't the tailor pin the shirt on the spot for you? You should have known that it would have been too baggy from there, and then asked for darts in addition or just plain darts. How much was the shirt taken in? It sounds pretty extreme, as I've taken in shirts and they have been perfectly fine on the top block.

Whenever I've done darts they've run from yoke to hem, so that's common practice. H&M does these types of darts. Though as the dart gets further up it doesn't "take in" the shirt as much as say, the waist, so often times you can ask for them to stop the darting before the yoke as well. Also, he wanted to keep the box pleat because it's a lot of extra work to remove the pleat, cause you kind of have to deconstruct part of the shirt and then put it back together. My mum has been tailoring clothes for about four decades now and runs her own place, and I used to help her in the shop a lot, so I hope this was kind of insightful?

Thanks for the input!

Yeah I definitely know you have to be specific and sometimes hard-nosed with tailors. I've had to change tailors a few times, and at least once because the guy was old school and would not do something slim enough. It wasn't a proportion issue, he just didn't believe in cutting something that slim. In this case, the original lady swore up and down it would look fine taking in the sides alone (she gave me some BS about it needing to be pressed and my excuse is that I was tired after work). I disagreed and should've pushed harder on it but even after asking twice, she insisted on sides only. Everything worked out fine as that shirt is being re-done free of charge.

I knew removing the box pleat would be work, just wasn't sure how much. Re: darts to yoke, I've been working out and losing weight so my body shape has changed a bit (waist size dropping quickly, shoulders and back growing slowly). The dart up to the yoke was 100% necessary because, as I said before, I was getting a ridiculous turtle shell blousing effect. It's probably always been there but narrowing the waist area likely made a the problem look more ridiculous. Pint glass to wine glass, n'amsayin'?

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's a dangerous road. Can't buy just one. Single layer size down 2, dbl layer size down one

Originally Posted by AR_Six
Just the single layers though?

snake

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
But I'm already XS, I can't size down any more!!!1
super-troopers.jpg

Lane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Synthese
the word on single layers is to size down massively, I think. I believe Kunk said he wears an S
Originally Posted by thekunk07
It's a dangerous road. Can't buy just one. Single layer size down 2, dbl layer size down one
im confused...with the pearl single layer from SS11 I bought a S, so I didn't have to size down. Is this recommendation because of the length? and I own two double layers from gleam that fit me perfectly, and they are both S.
eh.gif

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Maybe it's just in larger sizes cause I am a mountain of lean muscle

DeadDJ

Reaction score
Your head might explode if you go to the Reborn webshop.

(just to be a dick, I'm not linking it. Love you guys.)

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
just talked to my homegirl in paris she gonna check the damir sample sale for me, great success
devil.gif

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
I think I am going to buy a rick owens long sleeve. Trying to decide if I should get M or L...
i think you could def do a M. all i have is a ro flap tank in rust if that interests you. is small though. a smidge too small for me. my white/bleach (can't remember the name) in M fits me nice. tanks fit a bit different though to be fair, ro all fits a bit different item by item, season by season. worst consistency ever

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
Wearing a tank would make me look like that pic of Christian Bale in the Machinist. I dunno we'll see it's not expensive so if I screw it up and re-sell for less I'm not really losing much $. Going by sellers measurements a M should be fitted. Eh, not worried.

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
Wearing a tank would make me look like that pic of Christian Bale in the Machinist. I dunno we'll see it's not expensive so if I screw it up and re-sell for less I'm not really losing much $. Going by sellers measurements a M should be fitted. Eh, not worried.

lol. i just layer my white one under stuff. i'm not buff enough to wear it solo. gl with the shirt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads