• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

conservative business dress WAYWRN: An Experiment

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wish all your pics were like the middle one, Manton. No place with (a lot) more daylight?

And do your shoe laces come loose often?

cronicmole

Reaction score
Originally Posted by NOBD
I wish all your pics were like the middle one, Manton. No place with (a lot) more daylight?

And do your shoe laces come loose often?

THIS. Mark this day Manton...with light it's clear that your fits are not all boring as I was lead to believe in dim light. When all the textures and colors are highlighted.

0b5cur1ty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bounder
Is that a knit tie?

And, though, so far, we haven't really gotten into fit much, I think that jacket is too short for you. Now that I think about it, it may be too small, as well. The buttoning point seems high and the quarters open up a lot. Have you tried the next size up? You seem to be pretty tall so at the very least, an L instead of an R.

That is, indeed, a knit tie.

The suit is MTM and that jacket is definitely not too small. It does have fairly open quarters and a highish buttoning point, it's true, but that's just the cut. As to the shortness, this is exaggerated somewhat by the camera angle - it's not a long jacket but meets the 'covers-your-bum' requirement.

Originally Posted by Manton
Rxl6o.jpg

I like this combination.

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ManofKent
Frosty start this morning, with the promise of warmer weather later, so I decided on a 3-piece.
Looks great.

Originally Posted by TRINI
5547129842_e57e443ab1_z.jpg

This looks great too. It obviously wouldn't be conservative business dress, but that cloth seems to be a great candidate for a lapel pin along these lines:
140.jpg

Pin-STOrigCommand.jpg

wink.gif

Originally Posted by 0b5cur1ty
I like this combination.
+1

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Nice one, Manton. Gray, blue and orange/rust is a great combo.

Who made that suit? I like it.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Solito. First one.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Bounder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MBreinin
I also thought this was more of a thread that was geared towards finding the edges of the envelope in terms of conservative business dress, not just adhering to the most basic premises of what a conservative business dress fit is. Manton himself has routinely displayed fits that are on the fringes, if not outside of, regimented "conservative business dress." I also thought that we were going to allow regional differences in what constitutes conservative business dress to be discussed. Certainly, conservative business dress in NYC is different than SF, London, Berlin or New Orleans. I have gone to court in odd jackets here in New Orleans. I have gone to court in a plaid Spano suit, and received compliments from the judge herself. If I was wrong, someone please correct me. Mike
I am a big proponent of seeing how conservative business dress works in other regions/countries. But I also recognize that that to keep this from turning into WAYWRN, The Sequel, we need to keep a set of "rules" in mind. For example, this is Hawaiian conservative business dress,
bpc.jpg
Now this is interesting to understand, in context. But if we get to the point of saying, "This is a Hawaiian thing. It is perfectly OK here so don't criticize.", then we are pretty much done. Unless we are just going to go on purely subjective personal preference, we have to have a set of rules we can apply to analyze what we are looking at. The rules are not set in stone. Someone, for example, may demonstrate a successful way to constently break the rules, which means we need a new rule. In fact, I am, almost, sold on very dark suede shoes . . . almost. But we do need rules to enable a discussion and, often, it is the outfits that break the rules, successfuly or not, that are the most educational. So this is not to say, at least for me, that people shouldn't post things that go beyond conservative business dress. It is to say, however, that the things that go beyond conservative business dress should be pointed out and analyzed.

ndw

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Parker
Nice one, Manton. Gray, blue and orange/rust is a great combo.
+1 - great colors and the suit fabric is really nice.

elgreco

Reaction score
First of all, apologies for the crappy Photo Booth and iPhone pictures; my Powershot is still on loan to my dad. So, I guess what I'm asking and answering with these photos is whether a d/b can fit within the confines of conservative business dress as defined herein.
5548426295_40f4be507e_z.jpg
5549009174_88fa57913b.jpg
5549008920_dce68c59df.jpg
Details (if necessary): Jacket: Sartoria Partenopea Shirt: CEGO Tie: Howard Yount Trousers: Club Monaco Shoes: C&J

wEstSidE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bounder, i think everyone should play by east coast rules only.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics