• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My furniture threak, now with better photos.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've recently built this console, it's of Black walnut and stainless steel, I've finished the wood with a wiping varnish and welded the stainless brackets to the stainless steel tubing with a TIG welding process.

SummerinCalifornia383.jpg

SummerinCalifornia385.jpg

Better photos of some older ones:

SummerinCalifornia388.jpg

SummerinCalifornia389.jpg

(that bookcase is on it's way to the trash bin soon)

SummerinCalifornia390.jpg

SummerinCalifornia392.jpg

SummerinCalifornia393.jpg

SummerinCalifornia394.jpg

(working on getting a picture developed.)

SummerinCalifornia395.jpg

SummerinCalifornia396.jpg

SummerinCalifornia399.jpg

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
My awkardly thorough memory means I remember most of the stuff you've built and posted in various threads the past, and it's all very impressive. But remove that damn desk topper thing w/ the hand rests, it covers up a genuinely beautiful piece of wood.

Great work though, I look forward to updates.

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Very nice work. Simple and elegant.

I am guessing that the furniture making is a hobby and passion to you.

I seem to remember that you used to build cars ( or were involved in that ).

Do you find furniture building as satisfying?

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gomestar
My awkwardly thorough memory means I remember most of the stuff you've built and posted in various threads the past, and it's all very impressive. But remove that damn desk topper thing w/ the hand rests, it covers up a genuinely beautiful piece of wood. Great work though, I look forward to updates.
Thanks! I agree, that thing is a little bit of a disappointment, but it serves a purpose.
Originally Posted by rnoldh
Very nice work. Simple and elegant. I am guessing that the furniture making is a hobby and passion to you. I seem to remember that you used to build cars ( or were involved in that ). Do you find furniture building as satisfying?
Thanks Rnoldh, definitely a hobby and passion. I actually am enjoying this a bit more than cars, though i thoroughly enjoyed that at the time, since I feel like I can express myself an enjoy it on a more regular basis. One a piece is finished it's a moment in time, where the car was a progression of stages.

Peak and Pine

Reaction score
Unlike Gomestar, I've got a crap ass memory and can't even remember the first pic in this thread; however, the stuff I do recall looks really fine and I'm glad you posted this, tho maybe the accoutrements might be a wee too strategically placed if you know what I mean, but your work's really to be admired.

frenchy

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
love the bookcase,simple,elegant.
not crazy about the the desk though (sorry?) looks a bit cramped and has a "staples" vibe,although i can see teh functionality of it.
maybe apply the bookcase clean lines to the desk next time...
i dont build,but sell a lot of vintage furniture so i kinda know what im talking about (shrug)

Hombre Secreto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interest in Dorian Gray and Philip Carlo books, eh? Any ammonia and duck tape lying around by chance?
plain.gif

Peak and Pine

Reaction score
Originally Posted by frenchy
love the bookcase,simple,elegant. not crazy about the the desk though (sorry?) looks a bit cramped and has a "staples" vibe,although i can see teh functionality of it. maybe apply the bookcase clean lines to the desk next time... i dont build,but sell a lot of vintage furniture so i kinda know what im talking about
There you go. There's the phrase all craftsman are longing for: it looks like it came from Staples. It doesn't by the way. And while the remark comes from someone who deals in vintage furniture and says he kinda knows what he's talking about, I don't deal in vintage furniture, but I've been into Staples and I kinda know what I'm talking about.

frenchy

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
ps is that a Brooks Brothers blazer on the chair?
i think i have the same one
edit never mind saw the logo in the other pic

frenchy

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Peak and Pine
There you go. There's the phrase all craftsman are longing for: it looks like it came from Staples.
It doesn't by the way. And while the remark comes from someone who deals in vintage furniture and says he kinda knows what he's talking about, I don't deal in vintage furniture, but I've been into Staples and I kinda know what I'm talking about.

chill out,i think he knows what ime talking about,i meant it looks bulky and yeah i get a staples vibe from it.
am i not allowed an opinion even if you disagree with it and to express it?
i did like the book case

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Dude, staples?

Originally Posted by Peak and Pine
Unlike Gomestar, I've got a crap ass memory and can't even remember the first pic in this thread; however, the stuff I do recall looks really fine and I'm glad you posted this, tho maybe the accoutrements might be a wee too strategically placed if you know what I mean, but your work's really to be admired.

Thanks P&P!

Originally Posted by Hombre Secreto
Interest in Dorian Gray and Philip Carlo books, eh? Any ammonia and duck tape lying around by chance?
plain.gif

I plead the 5th.

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
SkinnyGoomba, I absolutely love that console you built. I usually don't traditionally think of pairing wood and metal together, but the tone of the black walnut compliments the stainless steel perfectly. Very nice job.

BrianVarick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very very nice, I would absolutely love to have some very well made furniture in my house. That bookshelf looks awesome. You could definitely turn this into a business if you were so inclined.

xchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great stuff all around, SkinnyGoomba! Everything looks to be of the utmost quality. If we weren't on an internet forum I'd guess you to be Amish!
smile.gif
I'd loved to be able to build my own furniture. I especially like reclaimed wood, and stuff with a more industrial or rustic look. And that desk definitely doesn't look like it came from staples to me, other than being rectangular. Anyone who actually shops at staples would never think that.

Yooxaddict73

Reaction score
Always nice to see someone is making things instead of buying them in the store.
Actually there are numerous craftsman (NH,VT,MA,PA,ME) who are making custom and reproduction furniture out of their homes or small workshops. The prices for their furniture are generally the same or less if compared to the high-end stores or antique shops.
I am making my third custom order atm, and I don't think I will ever buy anything from the retail furn. store again.
Once you experienced the pleasure of owning a real piece of furniture, made the old-fashioned way , there is no going back(sort of like with all good things in life).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads