• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

Selvaggio

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Geoffrey Firmin
What is the address of the outlet in Surry Hills? Will pop in there the next Saturday I am in Sydney.

Mind you after spending a week commuting from Kings Cross to Parramatta in the heat and humidity it wont be for a while. I got on one train at Town Hall yesterday and it was a sauna decided to get off at Central and change trains, the next one thankfully was air-conditioned. Even so for the past week I have been taking my shirt and tie with me and changing at the site.

Don't know how people survive the humidity to be honest.

It's in the old garment district, 118 Commonwealth Street Surry Hills. It is upstairs.

Yes, I'm quite over the summer weather now. It's not that it's been that hot, but it never seems to cool down at night - so you get no respite from it.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
CHADSTONE remains Australia's biggest shopping centre in terms of turnover, while Westfield's Bondi Junction centre was the best performer in New South Wales, according to the 2011 Big Guns survey.

Chadstone, which is owned by Colonial First State and the Gandel Group, held the No.1 spot with a 20 per cent increase in MAT (moving annual turnover), recording sales of $1.28 billion.

Westfield's Bondi Junction, Chermside in Queensland and the Doncaster and Southland centres in Victoria made up the remaining five spots.

Chadstone remains the biggest centre in the country, at 177, 000 square metres, about five times the size of the MCG, followed by Westfield Chermside at 144,000 sq m and the Knox Centre in Melbourne at 141,000 sq m.

On the measure of average turnover (MAT) per square metre, which more accurately indicates the performance or the efficiency of space within a centre, No.1 in the survey was Westfield Bondi Junction, with an average turnover of $10,522 per sq m.

Retail landlords all say the past year has been tough, with sales under pressure from cautious consumers and online retailers, but they are confident that the worst is over.

http://www.theage.com.au/business/sh...315-1bvxv.html

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Journeyman
Yep, Target chinos can be surprisingly good - or at least they were a few years ago. I used to have a few pairs of them in navy, brown and the usual khaki/beige colour.

Not all that long ago - well ok - maybe 10 years - Target used to consistently have great 100% cotton nice thick oxford button downs in blue and white for $25. I had lots of them - some of them still going for around the house.

Mr Herbert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tano
Thanks guys
Would the stone and khaki colour be the most versatile chinos to match with a sports jacket?

word of warning, not sure if its my monitors (both work and home) but the colours were alot lighter than they apeared on the site

i ordered slate thinking they would be a medium blueish grey but they are a pale bluish grey and look like they would only really be wearable on a cruise ship

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr Herbert
word of warning, not sure if its my monitors (both work and home) but the colours were alot lighter than they apeared on the site

i ordered slate thinking they would be a medium blueish grey but they are a pale bluish grey and look like they would only really be wearable on a cruise ship

So book the cruise kiddo....
remember this is SF - The tradition is first you buy the outfit - then wonder where t f you'll wear it.

I agree it is a problem with online buying - monitors throw up different colours and tones and then there is the problem of how they took the photo in the first place and its emphasis on colours or tones. Additionally there is almost no scientific way of comparing a persons perception or written description of colour.

It can be as crude as my blue being your grey or green. But certainly gets difficult when it comes to say a charcoal with a brownish green caste. Or a hot brown compared with a cool brown or reddish brown or yellowish brown. And its the little differences that often make the difference between what looks bad, ok or good.

Often easier to see in ties - 5 or 6 blue ties and only one really works with an outfit.

edit:: Its not only an online problem the lighting in stores can do strange things to colours. I like to take stuff out onto the footpath in the daylight to see the real colour OTOH you want teh shop lighting to mimic some of the indoor places you will wear clothes - like work - as its no good buying a nice navy blue trouser - that always looks great in bright sunlight - then finding that under the fluorescents at work in looks like everyones else's shiney black pants.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

C'mon Herbet - HTFU

rgn_hawke_narrowweb__300x467,0.jpg

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fxh
Not all that long ago - well ok - maybe 10 years - Target used to consistently have great 100% cotton nice thick oxford button downs in blue and white for $25. I had lots of them - some of them still going for around the house.

Actually I remember picking up a couple of good casual cotton shirts from Target back in about 1982, I think then they used to made somewhere in the EU.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheWraith
I've been using those self-same trains for the best part of 17 years, Geoffrey. Yes, I don't know how I've coped all this time.
Before I left Sydney 13 yrs ago I used to avoid the trains like the plague. Kings Cross station, 'the horror, the horror!' Back then even for work from Elizabeth Bay to the city or surrounds used to be about a $5-$10 cab ride. I found that drink helps with the humidity, G'n'T but only for Quinine of course.

Tano

Reaction score
word of warning, not sure if its my monitors (both work and home) but the colours were alot lighter than they apeared on the site i ordered slate thinking they would be a medium blueish grey but they are a pale bluish grey and look like they would only really be wearable on a cruise ship
Its getting a bit easier with online shopping since you can now comment on each piece on the Brooks Brothers website. If i see more than one comment stating the same thing then i know its not one persons harsh opinion or a bad QC. There are a few comments on BB website that state the BB Non Iron chinos have a small rise.

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Before I left Sydney 13 yrs ago I used to avoid the trains like the plague. Kings Cross station, 'the horror, the horror!' Back then even for work from Elizabeth Bay to the city or surrounds used to be about a $5-$10 cab ride.

I found that drink helps with the humidity, G'n'T but only for Quinine of course.

Never use the trains around Kings Cross, but the City Circle line and into southern and western Sydney...yes, that's been my work path for much of the last 17 years, all on the trains. I (and many others like me, I'm sure) could tell you some train stories...

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What is the address of the outlet in Surry Hills? Will pop in there the next Saturday I am in Sydney.

Mind you after spending a week commuting from Kings Cross to Parramatta in the heat and humidity it wont be for a while. I got on one train at Town Hall yesterday and it was a sauna decided to get off at Central and change trains, the next one thankfully was air-conditioned. Even so for the past week I have been taking my shirt and tie with me and changing at the site.

Don't know how people survive the humidity to be honest.

The Tube in London is worse IMO. Every station is like Town Hall, with double the patronage... God knows how they will cope with the Olympics next year.

jobro

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tano
There are a few comments on BB website that state the BB Non Iron chinos have a small rise.
Shoot BB an email asking for measurements, I am sure they will help you out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads