• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Identifying Tweed Patterns

Ewan

Reaction score
Hello - I'm trying to identify two tweed patterns, and was hoping someone here could help find the exact fabric used:

1) Striped Tweed - I've been told that this is not Harris Tweed.

tumblrlcww04gwar1qamtug.jpg

2) I believe that this is a Donegal tweed, but would love to track down the exact fabric.

dsc01604m.jpg

These are both tweeds worn by Matt Smith as Doctor Who and I'm looking to have similar jackets made.

Any help on identifying and locating these tweeds would be much appreciated!

RogerC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tracking down these exact fabrics is going to be impossible, unless you fly to Harris and have a bespoke cloth run made. However, there are excellent fabrics available that go a long way in giving you sort of that look. For the first, look for example with the Islay Mill. For the second, Harrisons of Edinburgh might have something similar in their Porter and Harding range

Ewan

Reaction score
Wow, this is great guys! Thanks for for all the help!

I've sent an e-mail to W Bill, as they seem to be the tweed experts to see if they have any of this Russel Plaid or a match for the Donegal.

Pseudosyco

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ewan
Wow, this is great guys! Thanks for for all the help!

I've sent an e-mail to W Bill, as they seem to be the tweed experts to see if they have any of this Russel Plaid or a match for the Donegal.

There is an article online somewhere dedicated to the exact jacket that the good Doctor is wearing - try googling Doctor Who Tweed Jacket

bookster1uk

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tweedydon
^^ You beat me to it!

The second certainly looks like a Donegal.

I concur with the Donegal,
The 'Russell' isn't quite the Russell we are used to but the pattern is similar, it looks like a 'vintage' cheviot or saxony type cloth to me and most likely no longer available.
The Russell we offer we call Duddeston
http://tweed-jacket.com/CLOTH%20PAGE...ngston_jpg.htm

Ewan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bookster1uk
I concur with the Donegal,
The 'Russell' isn't quite the Russell we are used to but the pattern is similar, it looks like a 'vintage' cheviot or saxony type cloth to me and most likely no longer available.
The Russell we offer we call Duddeston
http://tweed-jacket.com/CLOTH%20PAGE...ngston_jpg.htm

Very helpful, thank you! Although it's a little disheartening to know that it's likely no longer available. Here's a closer look at the weave, if this helps:

tweedcloseup.jpg

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Harris Tweed is a standard of manufacture, not any particular pattern. And yeah, the odds that that fabric is no longer made are pretty damn high. The makers will make smaller runs of fabric, then try something new. Well, whatever customers order, but they're not putting out huge volumes.

Theoretically, you could contact the show, see if the costume people can get you the registry number off of the Harris tweed label, contact the Harris tweed authority (the regulatory body), and have them track down the weaver and the date.

Or you could go to a tailor that stocks a variety of tweeds, including Harris tweeds, and find something similar. Hell, if you had the money, you could order run of the stuff yourself.

But yeah, odds are that you ain't gonna find that particular tweed. Which is part of the draw, really. The cloths are unique instead of mass market sameness.

Oh, and that second is almost certainly a donegal. You would probably be able to find that one.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads