• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any Beijinger out there?

McCurry

Reaction score
deadhorse-a.gif

Just moved to Beijing, wondering if there are any rocking shops/deals around town. I know Uniqlo is super cheap and decent, but any other decent brands that are afforable around town? Some of the name brand are marsupially expensive, but come on I know a lot of name brands are made in China and Japan is just few clicks away, got to be some sweet shops/deals around no?

ThankS!

ghostdog123

Reaction score
muji, net(if it exists in China), also walk around all your local Sogos, Korean/Japanese import brands of subpar quality should abound.

I'm far more experienced with Taiwan really... I would suggest night markets but apparently in China they do not sell clothes there.

McCurry

Reaction score
Rats, isn't A.P.C. made in China, they got to smuggle some over to the capital right? I know Muji and Uniqlo are popular here, but is that all we got from our neighbor Japs?

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NaTionS
Nothing worth buying in Beijing, spend your money on good food.
Originally Posted by Synthese
there is none in beijing
This. There is also no good shopping. Bosa Magine would be a good brand at Zara prices. But it's at designer levels and though made in italy, it's still a Chinese brand and the quality isn't at the price point. I just remembered how much I ******* hate Beijing. I hope somebody nukes that shithole. Today.
101123_beijing_air.jpg

NaTionS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I found the food pretty good there. Lamb on a stick from street vendors and hotpot were delicious. Also Beijing duck. I'm getting hungry just writing this.

Nereis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Guangzhou is where its at for cheap eats and good food in general. Mind you like everywhere in China the service is terrible.

dacox

Reaction score
+1 again to China shopping kinda sucks. Foreign brands usually way overpriced, Chinese brands quality usually sucks, H&M/Zara... eh
Uniqlo is not bad for basics. Maybe some MTM/bespoke, but again, quality is usually pretty ******.

I know Nanjing and Shanghai best though, but don't think Beijing is much different.

Edit: RE streetfood: I eat it. It usually tastes good. I've also gotten food poisoning.

drmmr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ah, land of pirated anything. Most recently (afaik), red wine. Char Siew buns with fillings made of cardboard. Tainted baby foods.

Hated that place the day I got into the city. But I must say, Peking duck is absolutely brilliant. Nothing else does Beijing offer though.

Duff_Man

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eason
101123_beijing_air.jpg

I've seen Beijing look sunny and brilliant precisely once my entire life, and I doubt I'll ever see it that clear and beautiful ever again.

ghostdog123

Reaction score
Originally Posted by drmmr
Ah, land of pirated anything. Most recently (afaik), red wine. Char Siew buns with fillings made of cardboard. Tainted baby foods.

Hated that place the day I got into the city. But I must say, Peking duck is absolutely brilliant. Nothing else does Beijing offer though.

Why are you using 2 different romanizations of the same word in consecutive sentences?
plain.gif

McCurry

Reaction score
Yeah this city is pretty messed up. I got an interview at Vancouver next week, and crossing my fingers that I land that job.

There are just way too much '3rd world country' issues over here. I don't even know where to start

but shame that there are no fashion police down here. Just a bunch of marsupially rich government officials (and their spawns) wearing the most expensive **** that they can get their hands on.. because it gives them status

subdivide

Reaction score
I lived in Shanghai from 2004 to 2008 and enjoyed buying vintage clothes on ebay, and making the most of the tailoring markets, which Beijing has a few of too.

Walk in there with some magazine cutout photos, or very clearly detailed drawings of what you want, and they'll make it for you. The more you know about garment construction, the better. While most of the fabrics for sale in the markets are crappy, look hard enough and you'll find great stuff. Suits and blazers usually come out the best, but so do overcoats, vests and jackets.

I would usually make a trip just to buy fabrics, bring them home, and come up with designs based on the fabric. Then I'd go back to the market, get measured, and discuss what I wanted. It's incredibly cheap, and the more you're able to explain in Chinese, the better the results will be. Find a tailor who does what you want, and stick with him or her.

Retail in China sucks in every way.

drum

Reaction score
Originally Posted by McCurry
Just a bunch of marsupially rich government officials (and their spawns) wearing the most expensive **** that they can get their hands on.. because it gives them status

I always lol at this whenever I'm in Asia, and it's not just limited to clothes either. They'll buy any material good that screams how much money they spent on it, although I've seen some people cut out the 'subtlety', instead waving around huge wads of cash in public.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads