1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Any Beijinger out there?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by McCurry, Mar 7, 2011.

1. Eason

Eason Senior member

The Mongorian restaurants I've been to were below average at best. Weird potato dishes with milk, lamb brain, even oilier takes on oily Chinese food... never considered looking into it further, maybe I should.

2. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

I'm in Beijing right now, and it's perfectly fine if you know where to go and look.

Its shopping isn't particularly astounding, but there are a few interesting non-clothing shops. Beijing is especially strong in such things such as art galleries, art book stores and assorted other cultural things. For that, it is far superior to Shanghai, which is highly glossy and corporate.

Indeed, the greyness of Beijing only seems to reinforce its gritty hipness although it's been quite clear and sunny recently.

There are also quite good Western restaurants but like Western food anywhere in China, it is not particularly cheap. The top-end ones like Capital M, Maison Boulud to the mid-tier ones like Enoterra, MOSTO are all quite good. The various provincial government office restaurants serve excellent food.

3. McCurry

McCurry Senior member

I'm in Beijing right now, and it's perfectly fine if you know where to go and look.

Its shopping isn't particularly astounding, but there are a few interesting non-clothing shops. Beijing is especially strong in such things such as art galleries, art book stores and assorted other cultural things. For that, it is far superior to Shanghai, which is highly glossy and corporate.

Indeed, the greyness of Beijing only seems to reinforce its gritty hipness although it's been quite clear and sunny recently.

There are also quite good Western restaurants but like Western food anywhere in China, it is not particularly cheap. The top-end ones like Capital M, Maison Boulud to the mid-tier ones like Enoterra, MOSTO are all quite good. The various provincial government office restaurants serve excellent food.

yeah I know there are tons of arts and craft shops. Do you know any clothing? All I can find is a tiny shop near Xiushui that carries Brooks Brothers sometimes.

Yeah you're right there are some good restaurants in Beijing, but they're all super expensive. There seems to more bad ones then good ones. I find that Shanghai has a lot of dining options. It is truly a haven for rich snobs

4. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

yeah I know there are tons of arts and craft shops. Do you know any clothing? All I can find is a tiny shop near Xiushui that carries Brooks Brothers sometimes. Yeah you're right there are some good restaurants in Beijing, but they're all super expensive. There seems to more bad ones then good ones. I find that Shanghai has a lot of dining options. It is truly a haven for rich snobs
    There are also reasonably priced good restaurants in Beijing. Most of them are Chinese. If you want native designers, there is a shop called Dong Liang near the Lama Temple. It is not particularly cheap, however, and the styling is a bit more avant-garde. Shanghai may be a haven for rich snobs, but Beijing is where a lot of the power is--I've never seen as many exotic cars and Rolls Royces as in Beijing. For alcohol, Apothecary, Ichikuru and Glen are quite good.

5. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

The Mongorian restaurants I've been to were below average at best. Weird potato dishes with milk, lamb brain, even oilier takes on oily Chinese food... never considered looking into it further, maybe I should.
    We do have have a few milk type dishes yes, which I quite like, especially mutton dipped in milk tea. Some dishes can be a bit salty, but that is the style. Rabbit is a popular dish as well. Never had lamb brain. The only time I've found something similar to that, was pig brain hotpot in Shanghai. Although in Shanghai and the surrounding provinces, they eat a lot of seemingly odd animal parts, like pig ears, chicken feet, intestines from various animals, duck tongues.... I called it 'imperialist titbits', a reference to the Monty Python movie Life of Brian...."dog's tongues, otter's noses, occelot spleens, wren's livers, chaffinch brains, jaguar's earlobes". BTW it's quite difficult to be a vegetarian in Inner Mongolia, unless one is content with just rice, aubergines, carrots and potatoes.

6. dacox

dacox Senior member

We do have have a few milk type dishes yes, which I quite like, especially mutton dipped in milk tea. Some dishes can be a bit salty, but that is the style. Rabbit is a popular dish as well.

Never had lamb brain. The only time I've found something similar to that, was pig brain hotpot in Shanghai. Although in Shanghai and the surrounding provinces, they eat a lot of seemingly odd animal parts, like pig ears, chicken feet, intestines from various animals, duck tongues.... I called it 'imperialist titbits', a reference to the Monty Python movie Life of Brian...."dog's tongues, otter's noses, occelot spleens, wren's livers, chaffinch brains, jaguar's earlobes".

BTW it's quite difficult to be a vegetarian in Inner Mongolia, unless one is content with just rice, aubergines, carrots and potatoes.

I think that's more of a general Asian rather than Shanghai/Jiangsu thing.

I also second LK's native designers and non-clothing shopping suggestions. There's some nice, unique stuff available, especially art.

As for Chinese stores, you can check them out but beware of shitty quality, crazy cuts/fits, and know most decent stuff is usually overpriced (retail chain stores that is -- boutique/designer stuff excluded).

7. StevenisWhere

StevenisWhere Member

I don't know what your price range is, but:

ι€Ÿε†™ (Croquis) - Kind of expensive (I guess...) but the clothes are cool/unique, and good quality in my opinion.

Try 3.3 Market in Sanlitun for better quality fakes than Silk Market or Yaxiu Market and also some original boutiques. Again the clothes are not "cheap" but there are some winners there.

There are quite a few boutiques around the Drum Tower and Nanluoguxiang (but not ON Nanluoguxiang) and again, some of them have some good quality, interesting stuff.

But I agree that Beijing is definitely not a fashion hub.