• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Exercising in the morning

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
How's exercising in the morning going, Conne?

cretaceous_cretin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dsgNYC
I'm not what you would call a morning person, but I forced myself to workout in the mornings because I had no will to put in a workout after a long day at work. Do whatever you have to to get into a routine and you'll find it easier to wake up as time goes by.

+1. Get it done and over with - you're ahead of the curve. No dreading it till the end of the day.

Mr. White

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
Did/does anyone find it hard to start working out on a regular basis in the AM? I think it's the only time of day to I'm able to work out; I've tried in the evenings but there is just zero motivation after work.

Any tips on morning workouts? Is it wise to have a cup of coffee and a snack beforehand? Ultimately I think it will come down to just doing it and creating a routine.

In a short time, you'll crave the morning workout. You'll hardly be able to sleep, and want to get up super early to get started. Mornings are better because your muscles are well rested and fully charged with carbos, the streets are empty of traffic, and the pollution is at its lowest. In California, it also helps that the temperature is at its lowest and the humidity is at its highest.

Water only. If you take any calories, your body will get off fasting metabolism and will stop burning fats. This makes it really difficult for your body to switch to aerobic metabolism. You'll have plenty of sugar stored in your liver and brain to feed the aerobic demand.

BTW, don't work out every day. Every third day is best. It takes 48+ hours for your muscles to repair after a workout. Repetitive, daily workouts are injuries waiting to happen.

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. White
In a short time, you'll crave the morning workout. You'll hardly be able to sleep, and want to get up super early to get started. Mornings are better because your muscles are well rested and fully charged with carbos, the streets are empty of traffic, and the pollution is at its lowest. In California, it also helps that the temperature is at its lowest and the humidity is at its highest.

Water only. If you take any calories, your body will get off fasting metabolism and will stop burning fats. This makes it really difficult for your body to switch to aerobic metabolism. You'll have plenty of sugar stored in your liver and brain to feed the aerobic demand.

BTW, don't work out every day. Every third day is best. It takes 48+ hours for your muscles to repair after a workout. Repetitive, daily workouts are injuries waiting to happen.

Yes, Conne, be careful not to work out every day.

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't think you need to worry about Conne working out too much.

H2O

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
Couldn't do it this morning. Up at 6AM, took one bite of toast and immediately had the runs. Can't eat that early. Looks like I will have to suck it up and go after work.

Originally Posted by LawrenceMD
was the anal sphincter put through exhaustive trauma the night before? anal leakage is common in that scenario.

worship.gif

superbuddy

Reaction score
Although its very difficult to get up early in the morning but i still agree to the fact that exercising in the morning is the best time. In Morning everything looks fresh it freshes your mind and body more then if at night.

Piffy

Reaction score
I did this last summer. Mind you my gym is a 10 min walk from my house. I would get up around 6:30am, eat a small breakfast and hit the gym around 7am.

It can be daunting, but once you're done, it feels great and you can do whatever you want after work.

Surfrider

Reaction score
Originally Posted by APK
Your reason for not exercising at night instills little confidence in me that you'll be able to maintain regular trips to the gym in the morning, regardless of any advice dispersed here.

This.

D Yizz

Reaction score
I prefer exercising in the morning. For about 7 years I went at 5 in the morning until my daughter entered school. Now I go after I drop her off, in order to avoid double morning traffic. Going to a gym in the afternoon is hellish. Not only are you exhausted, but gyms are packed and it's a pain to use the equipment.

munchausen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can't be bothered to excercise in the afternoon. Too many things going on then. Dogs need walking, gf and friends want to hang, dinner to cook, movies and ballgames to watch. 5 in the morning I have all to myself, and I go into work feeling good.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads