• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by streetminimal
I too would also like to know this.

I'm very happy with the guy I go to in Mount Waverley, right near the station. He always enthuses about my shoes and loves getting high-end shoes to look after. He's a Church's fan. While you're there, there a 3 op shops you can try your luck in - he's right next to the Salvo's in Hamilton Place.

Gassyndrome

Reaction score
Journeyman;4164208 I think that we in Australia would do well to learn from the attitudes of people in places like Tokyo and European countries in that regard.[/QUOTE said:
Couldn't agree more, but we seem to have people on this very thread who don't understand the issue - 'you have a bike, therefore you couldn't possibly own a registered car, or pay tax which supports the road infrastructure'.

Yeesh....

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mr Herbert is spot-on; all road users in Australia need a massive dose of respect for others.

And Jobro, you are just wrong. Your rego does not pay for the roads. It pays for third party insurance and administration. Do you seriously believe a few hundred bucks a year is enough to fund the road network?

All the bike vs car arguments are pure yada yada that you can re-read weekly in the Age whenever they feel like trotting out the subject. Same old same old ignorance and resentment on both sides every time.

ApplesHK

Reaction score
It's not just on the roads where the Japanese are thoughtful and considerate. It permeates their way of life. The Japanese are extremely well mannered and of course understand service and respect.
I'm usually pretty appalled every time I'm back home at the lack of just about every human value. Very depressing.

jobro

Reaction score
Originally Posted by California Dreamer
And Jobro, you are just wrong. Your rego does not pay for the roads. It pays for third party insurance and administration. Do you seriously believe a few hundred bucks a year is enough to fund the road network?
Originally Posted by jobro
Roads do belong to all of us, but cars pay a ~$300 fee every six months to be able to drive on the road.
I quite clearly stated that paying rego enables a car to be on the road.
Originally Posted by Gassyndrome
Couldn't agree more, but we seem to have people on this very thread who don't understand the issue - 'you have a bike, therefore you couldn't possibly own a registered car, or pay tax which supports the road infrastructure'.
It is wrong to assume that everyone that rides a bike pays some form of car registration. Just like it is wrong to assume everybody on a bike has knowledge of road rules as a result of obtaining a drivers license. Just because they may have a car doesn't mean everyone does. I fully support bike riding. I think that bike riders should be provided with more infrastructure. Bike riders should be regulated in order for them to be on the road. Cars and their drivers are strictly regulated in terms of a license and car registration. What is to stop some twit riding a bike for the first time on the road without any knowledge of road rules and being killed by an innocent driver. Not only does the family of the rider suffer, the driver has to put up with killing someone for the rest of their life.

Banana Cognac

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Star
Does anyone here know the website that lets you make online purchases by proxy from e-tailers who will not ship to Australia? (Typically from US and UK). I think it is a paypal company.

priceusa.com.au is what you're after.

streetminimal

Reaction score
How much are a pair of loake standard cap toe shoes going for at Beggar Man Thief?

Reaction score
Hey guys just wondering what you would all recommend -

I've just started university and will be Dr of Osteopathy in five years time. I like classic fashion and am interested in buying two pairs of shoes. I would like a pair of suede oxfords and a pair of dark brown (chestnut?) brogues. I am looking to spend up to $300 on each, but that is at the extreme end of what I would consider.

I was recommended to go to Brunswick and see Frank Palmone but I've not had any luck seeing reviews or opinions online?

Are there any local shops you could recommend for V neck cashmere sweaters and collared shirts also?

Lastly what about a good tailor and cobbler?

Will

Star

Reaction score
Adding to the bike discussion what has been missed has been the poor pedestrian. I don't think a morning passes in the Sydney conservative business dress where you dont get an idiot on a bike running the pedestrian green light and almost taking someone out. (see Park and George St intersection) Nothing against bikes but bike riders need to also adhere to road rules.

I will also add that Sydney is by design and by terrain a poor place to ride a bike. Cannot compare Sydney to places like Amsterdam and Berlin which are flat.

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tone76
For what it's worth, I've just come off of a period of unemployment due to the sudden shutdown of my previous employer and I bounced back relatively unscathed. No doubt the SAs will find gainful employment selling electricity door-to-door or something; I'm sure they'll cope. If it means a bit less crappy menswear on Adelaide streets, then that's a bonus.
devil.gif

Maybe some will, maybe some won't. Not everyone will be as lucky as you, tone. Regardless, other people's misfortune is not something to celebrate, no matter what you say.

bhall41

Reaction score
Originally Posted by WhiteTigerElite
Hey guys just wondering what you would all recommend -

I've just started university and will be Dr of Osteopathy in five years time. I like classic fashion and am interested in buying two pairs of shoes. I would like a pair of suede oxfords and a pair of dark brown (chestnut?) brogues. I am looking to spend up to $300 on each, but that is at the extreme end of what I would consider.

I was recommended to go to Brunswick and see Frank Palmone but I've not had any luck seeing reviews or opinions online?

Are there any local shops you could recommend for V neck cashmere sweaters and collared shirts also?

Lastly what about a good tailor and cobbler?

Will

So many questions for a first post Will!

I don't know Frank Palmone sorry. I recommend however that you check out the Pediwear and Herring Shoes online shops, which sell English shoes. For $300 budget you could try Loake (1880 line) and Cheaney. Some other brands worth considering are Grenson (Rose line), Trickers and Crockett and Jones, although these will probably exceed your budget. English sizes are the same as Australia - while you may baulk at buying shoes online, once you know your size and have some basic idea about different lasts, it is surprisingly easy. Worst case scenario is you may have to pay for shipping back to the UK, to return a pair.

You could try Herringbone or Henry Bucks for cashmere jumpers but the price is going to be steep. IMO you are better off buying online - some suggestions: The Armoury in Hong Kong, Charles Tywhitt and Howard Yount. No doubt other members here will have more suggestions for you.

Re business shirts, I am enjoying Cottonwork, an online MTM business in Hong Kong. Great service and prices - I have been requesting soft interlining, as otherwise they are like cardboard! For OTR shirts, I suggest TM Lewin (UK, online), but go for their slim fit range, as their regular fit is like a tent. Also, you need to go at least half a collar size up, as the collars shrink over time.

I don't have any suggestions for you re a bespoke tailor in Melbourne, although I doubt whether you are after such a service if your budget for shoes is $300. For MTM suits, I suggest trying Patrick Johnson. If you are after an alterations tailor, I can recommend Katrina's in Liverpool St (near Spring St). For OTR suits, I like Herringbone, although you could also try MJ Bale (which is owned by one of the founders of Herringbone and whose suits seem to have a very similar cut). Raffaele Caruso from Parma is great, when on sale from Harrolds. Another option is Ralph Lauren black label, again when on sale.

Finally, re a cobbler, you can try McLouds, in Queen St (cnr Little Collins). Reputable but quite expensive.

HTH
Ben

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Was just down at the Cafe reading March edition of the Melbourne Magazine that comes with The Age.
There's an interesting 4 page article on the financial history of Country Road, if anyone's interested i reading.

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Herringbone in QVB Sydney had 30% off all ties last night - bringing them down to about $80. There were plenty of nice designs on the floor and they were all included in the sale. I picked one up - paisley of course.

Not sure if the sale is still on but if any of you chaps fancy dropping in on your way back from a lazy Friday afternoon luncheon you might see something you like on sale.

On another note, I'm liking the new season at HB, I think the theming for the new campaign is pretty impressive ("The Traveller"). Have to say though there wasn't much in the way of new season stock yet at QVB - perhaps the larger Sydney stores are stocking more at this stage? I also noticed MJ Bale has his new season range of suits out, though not much in the way of SCs or knits yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads