• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaypee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by __PG__
What about kids who ride to school. Do they have to pay rego?

What if they are 5 y.o. and riding a tricycle?

Haha let's hope you're not a dad!

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blahman
Especially those who decide to ride in the middle of a 1 lane road!

Originally Posted by jaypee
True, but **** drivers still pay for the right to be on the road.

Cyclist dont at all. IMHO, if you want to be treated the same as a car or motorbike, pay rego and fees like them too

Originally Posted by Selvaggio
Actually the vast majority of cyclists do pay rego because they also have motor vehicles and for those who do not the reasons normally cited are they they do no damage to the roadways (so no need to fund their up keep), don't need to fund new freeways and they very rarely cause damage to other people or property.

Originally Posted by Pink Socks
Do not tar everyone with the same brush. There are bad drivers and bad cyclists out there and both should grow up or get off the road.

**** I didn't mean to set off WWIII!

I was mostly tongue-in-cheek of course - I ride a bike and drive a car. I do however ride in single file at all times when with a mate, and mostly on bike tracks or in bike lanes.

I don't know how the lycra/$4,000 bike set manage to ride to work on freeways etc. and not all get killed - they are bloody annoying as a driver when they take up whole lanes but I sort of admire their courage.

jobro

Reaction score
As far as I am concerned either bring on the rego' or go back to the old times where cars always have right of way on their roads. Get off the road if you are causing other drivers to tailgate you, don't think your little legs can get you up the hill at a sufficient pace. My car goes 60kmp/h up it, and I am not happy to go 5. I don't care if your getting exercise, I don't care if your saving the world from self destruction by not omitting gases and I wouldn't care if you pay rego either, but my car will hurt you (kill even) if you do the wrong thing by it. Your families will not be able to get any compensation either, they will be on their own because you decided to risk riding on the road. It is going to take a death on the road for anyone to take notice that there needs to be something done of the relationship between cars and bicycles.

__PG__

Reaction score
I live in a suburb where I see many kids still riding to school. Heck I see parents with three primary-school aged children all riding to school. I came across a high school kid on my commute the other morning... he was riding really fast and crossed all the major intersections with ease.

Roads, bike paths and footpaths are all shared spaces. When I ride past pedestrians/school kids/dog walkers/scooter riders on the bike path I'll always slow down, ride courteously to cause the minimum disruption to my fellow path users.

Likewise when I'm on the road, I'll ride at appropriate speeds to cause minimus disruption to my fellow road users. I expect the same in return, most of the car drivers I've come across are very courteous and understanding. Roads are shared spaces as well. Except for Freeways...car drivers have to deal with bikes, motorcycles, scooters, buses, trams, tractors, diggers and horses.

I've been riding on Melbourne's roads for 20 years and I've never had an incident or an accident *touch wood*.

jobro

Reaction score
I live in a suburb where I see many kids still riding to school. Heck I see parents with three primary-school aged children all riding to school.

On the road? Is there no sense of responsibility? These are the kids that will grow up not respecting cars on the road because the cars have all given way to the 'cute little kids'.

I've been riding on Melbourne's roads for 20 years and I've never had an incident or an accident *touch wood*.

You come from a good era then. Back then bicycle riders were to pull over if they didn't have the same endurance as the car behind them.

2quiet

Reaction score
Hi guys, from Australia myself and just wanted to chime in to say hi. Was glad to find such an Australian contingent on these forums, when several places lead me to believe that style was not something of the Australian fotre.

The Ernesto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jobro
They do not pay for roads as bike users and they generally get "free" bike tracks built for them on/next to busy roads for them to use which they do not take advantage of.

Um, taxpayers pay for bike paths. They're not free to anyone. And the ones near where I live are packed with cyclists.

The roads belong to all of us, not just people who page their rego.

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by 2quiet
Hi guys, from Australia myself and just wanted to chime in to say hi. Was glad to find such an Australian contingent on these forums, when several places lead me to believe that style was not something of the Australian fotre.

^^It isn't sadly, except for we happy few.

jobro

Reaction score
Originally Posted by The Ernesto
Um, taxpayers pay for bike paths. They're not free to anyone. And the ones near where I live are packed with cyclists. The roads belong to all of us, not just people who page their rego.
True, they are not free, rather "free" where unlike cars, bikes do not pay for for the use of the infrastructure. I do agree that they should be kept free to encourage bike riding. Roads do belong to all of us, but cars pay a ~$300 fee every six months to be able to drive on the road. In Perth, there are more bike riders on some roads than on the bike tracks next to them. Riverside Drive and Underwood Ave are prime examples. There are a lot of bikes on Riverside Drive however some idiots still ride on the road for some reason.

The Ernesto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
True, they are not free, rather "free" where unlike cars, bikes do not pay for for the use of the infrastructure. I do agree that they should be kept free to encourage bike riding.

Roads do belong to all of us, but cars pay a ~$300 fee every six months to be able to drive on the road.

In Perth, there are more bike riders on some roads than on the bike tracks next to them. Riverside Drive and Underwood Ave are prime examples. There are a lot of bikes on Riverside Drive however some idiots still ride on the road for some reason.

I pay for the infrastructure through my taxes and through my rego. So if I want to scooter, ride my bike or get myself a rascal then I'll use the road as I see fit within the law.

I think in Melbourne people really stick to using the bike lanes where they exist. That's my experience in the inner city, anyway.

0.jpg

jobro

Reaction score
Originally Posted by The Ernesto
I pay for the infrastructure through my taxes and through my rego. So if I want to scooter, ride my bike or get myself a rascal then I'll use the road as I see fit within the law.

My point is that you bikes do not have any rego paid on them to use the road. They are legally able to use the road however they should be second to registered vehicle.

I just think the use of bikes on roads needs to be reviewed soon. Perth is a very spread out city and bike riders need to ride on roads due to lack of infrastructure. It is going to take a death for people to realise that this is not going to work. Families are being put at risk with road bike riders not being insured.

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Selvaggio
You may be interested. The MJBale shop in the Queen Victoria Building (which I think has become a kind of clearance outlet) in Sydney is having a sale at the moment. I have never bought anything from there before but I liked the look of their shirts so I bought a couple (two for $100).

They also had some nice looking suits ($500) including a nice blue pin stripe (a shade lighter than navy - don't know what you call that with bright white pins) - but not in my size. Sports coats were $300 - but I didn't like them as much.

I like the look of much of MJ Bale's stuff.

Originally Posted by tone76
True, but tbh I don't really rate the SAs in Ed Harry. I haven't set foot in there in years, but last time I did (when I was in my early 20s, so this was a VERY long time ago), the SA was an old slapper dressed as though she was about to go out clubbing and she didn't come across as terribly professional. My gf (now wife) wasn't impressed with how much the SA was flirting with me, even though I didn't notice that ... I just thought she was being casual and overly familiar rather than flirtatious.

And what does any of that have to do with people losing their jobs?

appolyon

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
How bout you all just stop bickering and buy my stuff here. Will do discounts for local delivery or pickup - just ask me. Kthxbi

jaypee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Salvaggio, were the shirts 100 each? or two for 100?
Originally Posted by appolyon
How bout you all just stop bickering and buy my stuff here. Will do discounts for local delivery or pickup - just ask me. Kthxbi
Do the Luciano Barbera Cotton Pants fit true to size?

The Ernesto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My point is that you bikes do not have any rego paid on them to use the road. They are legally able to use the road however they should be second to registered vehicle.

I just think the use of bikes on roads needs to be reviewed soon. Perth is a very spread out city and bike riders need to ride on roads due to lack of infrastructure. It is going to take a death for people to realise that this is not going to work. Families are being put at risk with road bike riders not being insured.

OK. I don't think bikes riders should have to pay rego to be able to use the road.

In Melbourne we have loads of bike paths and new ones are being built all the time. That's not to say there isn't a constant issue of people being involved in accidents (and even dying) while riding their bikes.

We've had this explosion of cycling in the past 10 years in this city. For the most part I think people have welcomed it. There's still problems because there are dickhead cyclists (and dickhead drivers) who have some sort of inbuilt antagonism that places them at the centre of the universe whenever they are on the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads