• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help Mafoofan Help Himself

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Weights I can do. Pull-up bar, I don't know--depends if it will work with the door frames in our apartment.

I thought P90X was for people who were already fit? I'm ashamed to say I don't really qualify under that heading.

And what about maintenance? I can't and won't keep up 45-60 minutes, 5 days a week.

Power 90 is the precursor to P90X. You can try that first and then see if you're fit enough for P90X.

You should be able to find a pull up bar that works with your door frame easily. The alternative is using resistance bands but I personally doubt you'll see the same results.

As for maintenance, P90X+ has been awesome for me. The workouts are shorter than P90X.

embowafa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's a reason everyone is recommending P90X...it's because it works (if you stick to it)

The other one people should recommend is the Insanity Workout. This is ALL body weight exercises and does not involve any weights or pull up bars. This is another one that if you stick to, you WILL see results. Plus, I believe it's only a 60 day cycle.

So there you have it...P90X or Insanity are great home workouts. Do them!

Raoul Duke

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Scrumhalf
Do you know how many calories you are taking in? 75% of the battle is at the table, not at the gym. If you cut down on carbs, keep your calories about 500 below maintenance and do a reasonable amount of exercise 3 or 4 times a week, you'll lean out. But if you you overeat (I'm not talking about junk food, just total calories), you will not make progress.

I will recommend what I always recommend to beginners. Do an honest estimation of how many calories you are ingesting each day. That's the first step.

This is good advice. Get your diet in check and you will only require minimal exercise to achieve your goals.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Raoul Duke
This is good advice. Get your diet in check and you will only require minimal exercise to achieve your goals.

Originally Posted by Kuro
walk to/from work

These are great long-term--but I feel like I need a jumpstart.

embowafa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TRINI
Try Beachbody's Power 90 or P90X programs.

Originally Posted by Thomas
Agree on the P90X.

Originally Posted by Master-Classter
I was just going to recomend P90X.

Originally Posted by TRINI
Power 90 is the precursor to P90X. You can try that first and then see if you're fit enough for P90X.

Originally Posted by embowafa
There's a reason everyone is recommending P90X...it's because it works (if you stick to it)

These are great long-term--but I feel like I need a jumpstart.

Come on man...don't turn this into another one of your MC threads. If you're asking for advice and the advice is given...TAKE the advice.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Come on man...don't turn this into another one of your MC threads. If you're asking for advice and the advice is given...TAKE the advice.

Are you not reading what I'm saying?

haganah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are you not reading what I'm saying?
You're looking for some magic exercise that doesn't exist. That you get a jumpstart with. That you can do for short intervals at your own leisure. And on top of that, in your own home. You may never find this chupacabra. Take one item of food out of your daily consumption (i.e. no soda or no bagels for breakfast) and go running whenever you have time, especially since you're by the park. Then over time run longer. Eat better. Voila.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Are YOU not reading what EVERYBODY is saying?

Yes. People are giving different, sometimes contradictory, advice. It is literally impossible to agree with everyone.

CunningSmeagol

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Your office doesn't have a gym?

If not a gym, does it have laser printers that you can deadlift?

For home, you could try a couple kettlebells.

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by haganah
You're looking for some magic exercise that doesn't exist. That you get a jumpstart with. That you can do for short intervals at your own leisure. And on top of that, in your own home. You may never find this chupacabra. Take one item of food out of your daily consumption (i.e. no soda or no bagels for breakfast) and go running whenever you have time, especially since you're by the park. Then over time run longer. Eat better. Voila.

+1. This thread = classic
foo.gif

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CunningSmeagol
If not a gym, does it have laser printers that you can deadlift?

People do stranger things in my office, so I'll consider this a serious suggestion.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads