• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The WAYWT Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

heysf

Reaction score
Originally Posted by nicelynice
yo post some fits!!
2e561dh.jpg
rick aa rick lanvin n. hoolywood chuck taylors (no vis) was thinking of selling the intarsia to finance the ccp derbies I just bought since i havent worn it this year at all, but still love how easy it is to wear

Rick leather looks somewhat odd.

Lane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
can Schneider really be categorized as "prep," I don't get that vibe from his clothing.

toothsomesound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GraphicNovelty
All i'm saying is that prep is a reified aspirational style and it isn't an illegitimate thing to want to dress like.
Right, well PP is saying it doesn't have to be, which is absolutely true. And also, it can be illegitimate if it sucks. That's the point Fuuma is making. I dunno, make of it what you will, but I tend to agree shooting for preppy for the sake of preppy is annoying and not compelling to me in an aesthetic way (or any way); it is common and often visually offensive, rarely interesting. Mjolk is/was (not sure on their status sadly) a brand that did a great preppy/dandy thing that was colorful and fashionable and interesting. Other than that, most of it is just so trite to me. That's why it's illegitimate. I don't assume all bro's who wear RL polos and lobster print shorts are stupid assholes, but I do assume that they know ******* nothing about style/fashion/aesthetics. On the other hand, I think PP would call his aesthetic a take on prep and I would agree with that, and I think what he's developed it into is fairly singular and interesting. And not aspirational.

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The problem with PP's point (and the reason behind my jab about ann d wearing postmodernists) is that we can't just say "X doesn't mean Y." As much as some poeple would like to control the discourses surrounding power relationships, many of these discourses are organically formed within the communities themselves. We can't deconstruct the world to the point where things are divorced from their inherent meanings, and as such, a lot of aspirationalism will draw on preppy in some way.

Now, thinking the formalism is boring is another thing, but I think we can look outside our own aesthetic prejudices to find value in other styles. I read Hypebeast/High Snobiety even though I would never wear it because I think it's interesting to see how street style develops. One might see "oh this is just another Nike Dunk colorway" but for streetwear enthusiasts it isn't just that. Just like someone reading selectism might be like "ANOTHER Oxford shirt? Jesus christ!" I'm not arguing for total relativism, but to outright dismiss the formalism of something i think isn't giving it enough credit based on the cultural context in which it develops.

In fact, I think that the idea that it doesn't give a **** about bourgeois hangups regarding ostentation is part of why people find preppy style so "annoying."

A Fellow Linguist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
GN, I think you're wrong to automatically associate aspiration with prep style. I consider the way I dress aspirational, even though I'm nowhere near prep. What I aspire to, rather than a vague and problematic idea of wealth and status, is a more perfect self. I don't know why other dudes here are into clothes/fashion/style, but for me it's about making myself as close as possible to my ideal me, and this is something that extends way beyond image. Aspirational in a really basic sense of the word.

toothsomesound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
we can't just say "X doesn't mean Y." As much as some poeple would like to control the discourses surrounding power relationships, many of these discourses are organically formed within the communities themselves. We can't deconstruct the world to the point where things are divorced from their inherent meanings, and as such, a lot of aspirationalism will draw on preppy in some way.
Nah dude, it's actually pretty simple. You take a polo shirt, cut it differently maybe asymmetric hem or something, weird stitching/seams, have it in some luxe fabric with alot of visual detail, some kind of earthy grey tone, alter the collar somewhat, and wait, what is it now? Does it still signify aspirational yuppie-ism? Hm. It's actually not difficult to subvert "inherent meanings". Signifiers are not so simplistic, identity is not a static thing, we don't just see a button-up shirt and simply say "oh business[man]". There are a slew of other associations, and particularly for those informed, we look at the buttondown and the details tell us a few things about it; it's utility, it's formality, maybe we can try to intuit how it will feel to the touch. Yeah, all those associations still exist in a sense, or have a kind of presence; but a preppy outfit does not necessarily = aspirationalism. Easy example: take one of PP's slightly relaxed, slightly roughed up all blue or beigey-greeny looks. Does that look like aspirationalism to anyone? Probably not. But the individual pieces often come from trad/prep origins.
Now, thinking the formalism is boring is another thing
Didn't say that. Said prep is usually boring, formalism with prep could maybe be compelling but usually isn't. PP has done it though IMO. PS- off to "postmodern culture" study in thirty minutes, lol, I look forward to continuing this later this afternoon

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think we should start another thread for this

PinkPantser

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not arguing for total relativism
That's exactly what is sounds like.

The idea that aspirationalism isn't a legitimate motivatior for a style of dress is absurd.
I'm not trying to get into an argument of legitimacy, i'm simply saying that it's predictable and uninteresting for enthusiasts. If you could read how to do it on wikiHow then it sucks, same goes for replicating a runway look.

PaulYAY

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

tween_spirit

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
a lot of the looks may be laughable but I really liked this girl's jacket from what I can see
DSC_0007.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads