• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tax Season - Like Christmas, but you get robbed instead [2010 Edition]

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jointly

level32

Reaction score
I'm looking forward to finally getting my damn W2 that never came.

Can you say Obama's $8000 donation to my housing cause? nom nom nom

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by level32
I'm looking forward to finally getting my damn W2 that never came.

Can you say Obama's $8000 donation to my housing cause? nom nom nom

If it were only Obama's pocketbook paying for that.

level32

Reaction score
To be honest, I can't say I disagree with you. Though can't blame me for following the rules.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by level32
To be honest, I can't say I disagree with you. Though can't blame me for following the rules.

Agreed.

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is a little foreign to me. Most people down here have tax codes which take the tax directly out of their fortnightly wages/salary. except if you're self employed, in which case you have to do them yourselves.

at the end of he financial year you can ask for a tax summary, if you think you have something to claim. if you're on the right tax code, you generally won't though.

Biggskip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zbelden00
purchased car in August - was 2 years used - any deductibles there?

Not likely

Originally Posted by shahanshah
was the online service free ? i know taxact.com offers free [federal] filing and who cares about state i move so much anyway

Taxact is usually only free if you are eligible to file the 1040EZ.

Originally Posted by Johdus Fanfoozal
To those SFers who are married with no dependents, do you filed jointly or separately?

I got married last year and don't know what to do. I've always done my own taxes, but will probably go to an accountant for the first time in my life to run the numbers to see what's best for my wife and I.

Both of us work and earn similar salaries. Both of us have a load of deductions: both of us owned homes in 2010 so we each have property taxes, mortgage interest, plus a load of charitable deductions. I also sold property in 2010 for the first time and have never filed capital gains taxes before. It's just a more complicated tax year for me so I feel more comfortable going with an accountant on this one.

You sold property in 2010, but how long did you own it? Also, was it for your primary residence? If yes, and you owned it for more than two years then you don't have to pay any capital gains.

As to the OP, my father-in-law runs a H&R-like shop so he does our taxes for free. He actually has tax software from four different providers. He will run the numbers through each system to determine which software will result in the highest return (or lowest payment).

I have a bonus that is taxed through the a$$ every year compared to my normal wage so I get a big refund every year. Combined with the fact that this is right around the time when the current year bonuses come out, it's always good time around our house.

gort

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zbelden00
purchased home and paid interest for ~5 months
purchased energy efficient appliances for home
paid student loan interest all year

purchased car in August - was 2 years used - any deductibles there?

regardless, from first three alone I expect 1-2k in refund

Pretty sure the appliances cannot be written off. States have programs to get discounts on buying them I believe, but that would have been applied to the total purchase price. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Johdus Fanfoozal

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Biggskip

You sold property in 2010, but how long did you own it? Also, was it for your primary residence? If yes, and you owned it for more than two years then you don't have to pay any capital gains.

I owned it for more than two years and it was my primary residence. Thanks for the info.

JohnGalt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Johdus Fanfoozal
To those SFers who are married with no dependents, do you filed jointly or separately?

I got married last year and don't know what to do. I've always done my own taxes, but will probably go to an accountant for the first time in my life to run the numbers to see what's best for my wife and I.

Both of us work and earn similar salaries. Both of us have a load of deductions: both of us owned homes in 2010 so we each have property taxes, mortgage interest, plus a load of charitable deductions. I also sold property in 2010 for the first time and have never filed capital gains taxes before. It's just a more complicated tax year for me so I feel more comfortable going with an accountant on this one.

ask your cpa which scenario is more favorable to your specific tax situation. should be simple for them to figure out.

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Biggskip
Not likely

Taxact is usually only free if you are eligible to file the 1040EZ.

You sold property in 2010, but how long did you own it? Also, was it for your primary residence? If yes, and you owned it for more than two years then you don't have to pay any capital gains.As to the OP, my father-in-law runs a H&R-like shop so he does our taxes for free. He actually has tax software from four different providers. He will run the numbers through each system to determine which software will result in the highest return (or lowest payment).

I have a bonus that is taxed through the a$$ every year compared to my normal wage so I get a big refund every year. Combined with the fact that this is right around the time when the current year bonuses come out, it's always good time around our house.

I thought capital gains were ignored only up to a certain amount? Something like 250K? I dunno.

rjakapeanut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
filed in person since i didn't want to **** anything up. getting $1,200 back.

made 10k last year, full time student. thanks obama

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Got a call from my accountant last night; there were a few tax write off it seemed I hadn't included. When I was dropping them off today he said my refund would be even fatter than last year
smile.gif

All of it right in the bank except for his/her top end iPad 2.0
smile.gif

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gqreader239
$4500 refund, im happy to get it back this month. fucken mad that it was denied to me 11 months of the year.

It was only denied to you because you chose for it to be denied.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads