• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
yes its the classic security guard uniform.

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NewYorkRanger
You mean its not the same thing?

Its all about fit. Much more than the accessories you use. Though if accessorized properly, could make good become GREAT. Even a simple white tv fold, elevates it. Brown shoes instead of black. Simple shirt and tie works well too.

I meant the wilder accessories some of the posters here love (including myself). A simple white linen PS is often perceived better than a flashy colorful silk one. I absolutely agree with what you wrote. Brown shoes, simple shirt, simple tie, white TV fold.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's wrong with looking like a security guard? I think it radiates
authority like a Marine Colonel or a well-turned out Manhattan Doorman.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
While I think between us the FIT is what would distinguish this from a drab old security guard, it's more likely that for the general public, the inclusion of a PS, or changing up the shirt color to something like a light pink, green, purple, yellow, etc or adding nice brown shoes, or elbow patches, etc is what will make it stand out. +1 to light grey looking much nicer then just charcoal.
Originally Posted by iand
Whose pic is this one: Vox perhaps? Superb.
all I can tell you is it's from Feb 3, 2009... ie Part 1 of WAYW which I can't seem to access for some reason.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master-Classter
While I think between us the FIT is what would distinguish this from a drab old security guard, it's more likely that for the general public, the inclusion of a PS, or changing up the shirt color to something like a light pink, green, purple, yellow, etc or adding nice brown shoes, or elbow patches, etc is what will make it stand out..

That and the name tag.

vncrz

Reaction score
Definitely classic and not boring, but fit is everything, and I found the fit of most of the pics posted by the OP to be pretty bad... I remember my pre-SF days when I thought the GQ pic with the navy DB where the guy's crotch is about to blow up was sartorial nirvana. Light and mid-grey trousers work best IMHO, as the combination becomes somewhat jarring as the shade approaches charcoal.

james_timothy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master-Classter
all I can tell you is it's from Feb 3, 2009... ie Part 1 of WAYW which I can't seem to access for some reason.

Not Vox. A member in Japan, with many jokes about the earthquake escape chute in the background of his photos. I can't recall the name...

sportin_life

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speaking of which, I was wearing a light blue shirt w/ grey pants at work over the weekend. I stopped by a shopping center on the way home and threw on a blue blazer I keep in my car.

I got asked 3x over the course of an hour for assistance at a variety of random retail stores...

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sportin_life
Speaking of which, I was wearing a light blue shirt w/ grey pants at work over the weekend. I stopped by a shopping center on the way home and threw on a blue blazer I keep in my car.

I got asked 3x over the course of an hour for assistance at a variety of random retail stores...

Never happens to me. I know how to accessorize.

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sportin_life

Clearly, you need a Wang.

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Classic is boring. Embrace it.
smile.gif

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
boring. period.

Thanks SF (a new me)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
...a perfect thread for an upcoming function...Thanks to all contributors and keep posting guys.....
special kudos to Master-Classter, great pics....

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads