• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Reevolving

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Master-classer, awesome post. Thanks for doing that. Teddieriley, Your walnut shoes add a lot of character to the ensemble. Really sways the entire vibe. I think this is a great example of the shoe being the focal point of the outfit. Just my opinion, but I think I prefer very light grey pants. This level of contrast with pairing makes a huge difference, and makes it more casual. Navy with dark grey seems too monotone, and comes off as boring and staid & "uniformy" (And again, note the impact of the stylish shoes on the left.. vs. the standard issue on the right)
navyblazerwhiteshirtblu.jpg
navyblazerblueshirtgrey.jpg

RangerP

Reaction score
Originally Posted by potemkin_city_limits
I think your very wrong with this statement. There are tons of ways to go wrong with this look. There are ways to pull it off like having a pair of pants that arent super baggy and wearing a blazer that actually fits properly. Unfortunately 90% of the people who wear grey pants with a blue blazer dont have a clue and they ruin it for everyone else. Its the same thing with Polo shirts and khaki colored pants. Yea the look may be associated with a few retail companies terrible uniforms, but if you wear pieces that fit properly and flatter your body then you will pull off either look and make it look cool.
Obviously fit is key. That is clearly not what I was saying. What I was saying is it's hard to go wrong with this look... in terms of color/pattern combinations. As Master-Classer has showed us with his awesome post, you can go with any shade of grey if you want, pattern or no pattern. Same with ties and shirts. This look goes with a whole variety of combinations. It also goes with most shoe colors as well, provided the shade of grey goes with the shoe. Of course, like any look, it's always possible to screw it up...

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is easy to fail. That is especially true if you are 30+ when it can add ten years to a guys age/look if he doesn't make an effort in fit and details.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was Parker, about a year ago, who suggested that if you want to avoid the Security Guard look to wear a lighter shade of grey. I think that is an excellent suggestion.

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

BlackBrumel

Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley
Not tooting my own horn, but if you say this doesn't work, then you don't know what you're talking about.

It works, despite I prefer a 6 x 2.

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acecow
You have to accessorize well. And not "SF-well", but more of a "real life-well". Of course, slim fit is even more important to look young and interesting.

You mean its not the same thing?

Its all about fit. Much more than the accessories you use. Though if accessorized properly, could make good become GREAT. Even a simple white tv fold, elevates it. Brown shoes instead of black. Simple shirt and tie works well too.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reevolving
The pants look taupe (not grey), and the jacket is lighter than navy.

Now you're nitpicking.

Big T

Reaction score
Originally Posted by zerostyle
IMO gray pants look way better than tan/khaki.

The tan/khaki look just comes off as terribly yuppie to me, especially if you are also using gold buttons.

I would say that I prefer medium to dark gray, though - not light gray.

I agree with the tan/khaki statement.....locally it seems that is the official non-court date uniform of all the attornies.

When I spoke of not liking gray, it was more a light gray color and my hang-up was having that combo be the school uniform I had to wear. I think a gray pattern would be fine.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really like grey pants of all shades. One way I avoid the security guard look is to look for a BB with visual "tweaks". I found a navy Cucinelli with ivory buttons and suede elbow patches that looks more like sportswear than a 50+ year-old's security guard uniform. I also am having a new BB made with patch pockets and a navy herringbone fabric in a slightly lighter shade than a typical BB. Either of these I can pair with any shade of grey.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads