• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Please advise on my business casual clothing picks

Liquidus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello. I know that there are a lot of business casual threads here but please know that I've done some research and have a general idea of the type of clothes that I need. What I'm mainly looking for is advice on some details and specific brands/stores. I am 20 years old, fairly slim, and will be starting an internship (2 days a week) at a financial consulting firm in San Francisco in 2 weeks. "Business casual" is the level of attire at the firm. I should also mention that I feel more comfortable with "SF-approved" brands that there is a fair amount of discussion on. Brands that I can find and try on in San Francisco or stores with a easy return policy are also a plus. Jacket/Sport Coat: I think I'll need 1-2 of these. Ideally ones that can be worn at the office and also going out at night. I'm thinking either a navy blazer or a brown herringbone sport coat in tropical wool. I'd like to spend however much is necessary for "entry level quality," like the AE equivalent of jackets. How about these from Jcrew? 1. 2. 3. Sweaters: Merino wool v-neck sweaters seem like a popular choice? Jcrew has been mentioned for this but they're not in season and there aren't any mediums in stock. Shirt: Once I can meet with Hemrajani I'm going to order some MTM OCBD shirts from MyTailor. In the meantime I need a few OTR shirts. Are these from Land's End OK? Should I just get shades of blue? Pants: Mabitex/Incotex seems to the standard choice here for dress pants. However, I doubt that I can get a pair of 31-32 charcoal pants from B&S in 2 weeks, if ever. In the mean time, would these also from Land's End work? I'm thinking of the Light Charcoal and Dark Charcoal ones. Should I just stick with shades of grey? Shoes: I think I've got this covered for now. I have a pair of Loake Kemptons coming from Pediwear and I also have a pair of Alden Burgundy Perforated Cap Toes although I feel like they're a little too nice for business casual. Thanks for the help.

Thanks SF (a new me)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Liquidus
Hello. I know that there are a lot of business casual threads here but please know that I've done some research and have a general idea of the type of clothes that I need. What I'm mainly looking for is advice on some details and specific brands/stores. I am 20 years old, fairly slim, and will be starting an internship (2 days a week) at a financial consulting firm in San Francisco in 2 weeks. "Business casual" is the level of attire at the firm. I should also mention that I feel more comfortable with "SF-approved" brands that there is a fair amount of discussion on. Brands that I can find and try on in San Francisco or stores with a easy return policy are also a plus.

Jacket/Sport Coat: I think I'll need 1-2 of these. Ideally ones that can be worn at the office and also going out at night. I don't think the navy blazer would be a good idea due to my age and very casual campus atmosphere. Is a tweed sport coat in some shade of brown the next best choice? I'd like to spend however much is necessary for "entry level quality," like the AE equivalent of jackets.

How about these from Jcrew?

Sweaters: Merino wool v-neck sweaters seem like a popular choice? Jcrew has been mentioned for this but they're not in season and there aren't any mediums in stock.

Shirt: Once I can meet with Hemrajani I'm going to order some MTM OCBD shirts from MyTailor. In the meantime I need a few OTR shirts. Are these from Land's End OK? Should I just get shades of blue?

Pants: Mabitex/Incotex seems to the standard choice here for dress pants. However, I doubt that I can get a pair of 31-32 charcoal pants from B&S in 2 weeks, if ever. In the mean time, would these also from Land's End work? I'm thinking of the Light Charcoal and Dark Charcoal ones. Should I just stick with shades of grey?

Shoes: I think I've got this covered for now. I have a pair of Loake Kemptons coming from Pediwear and I also have a pair of Alden Burgundy Perforated Cap Toes although I feel like they're a little too nice for business casual.

Thanks for the help.

..i think these are good choices specially the shoes
biggrin.gif
...I'm a n00b but found my current style and choices about 90% SF approved...

and as a 15+ year of IT/Financial consultancy field, be careful that you dont dive too deep as a 20 yo intern and start burning your $$ right away...go slow and focus on your career progresssion...and money will come
teacha.gif

- dress your age
- don't be a drone dresser w/o being a douch
- press your pants/shirts and shine your shoes..

Good Luck and wear your clothes in good health...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads