• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lands' End Canvas

bosatlbwi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
some oxford colors are back on sale. and I wish they make xs so I could kop the shawl shaker cardigan.

raptorrapture

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mike868y
some oxford colors are back on sale. and I wish they make xs so I could kop the shawl shaker cardigan.

They need to make an XXS for it to be a true XS. I wear J. Crew size XS and Land's End's size small fits like a medium. The XS would probably fit like a small.

bosatlbwi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by raptorrapture
They need to make an XXS for it to be a true XS. I wear J. Crew size XS and Land's End's size small fits like a medium. The XS would probably fit like a small.

true that. I stocked up on some s shirts just because they fit well enough to be worth it at the price, but I would kop the hell out of lec shirts/basics if they had smaller sizes.

*#..

Reaction score
Just checked my order status, and it looks like it's coming on Wednesday, Feb 2 for shipping from Wisconsin to California. I ordered on Tuesday, January 25, so the wait isn't that bad, although I wish it came by today.

mrbrad

Reaction score
Originally Posted by max-t
this just happened to me upon trying to shrink the marled blazer. the fit is better now now but theres puckering around the pockets :/

photoovr.jpg

How much did the blazer shrink? I think we're roughly the same build -- I absolutely need to shorten the sleeves (they're resting about midway into the base of the thumb). However, I've got an athletic build so the small is just starting to pull at the chest -- if this thing shrinks at the shoulders/chest it'll have to go unbuttoned (
uhoh.gif
), but I don't know if tailoring the sleeves is even worth it due to the functional cuffs.

Assuming I do end up trying to shrink the sleeves, any thoughts on how to reduce/minimize pucker?

Doug C

Reaction score
^^ BTW, just one man's opinion here, but that puckering from shrinking wouldn't necessarily bother me any. I know everyone has there own ideas about how they want to appear.. but I'd probably just look at it as more character. Wear it with jeans that have nice fades, etc. People would spend more for it this way if it had a RRL label in it after all.

thisfits

Reaction score
Originally Posted by zerostyle
Rugged Mesh Polos - Smalls ran -very- small IMO. I could barely get one on me. Very tight in the chest. I would go with a medium if you are about my size.

I have similar dimensions (though shorter and heavier) and ran into the same issue. I'm a Small in everything else they carry, but it looks like you need to size up for the polos. I got one Jersey and one Mesh; will be returning both.

pimpmystyle

Reaction score
You know, I am really getting tired of dealing with the mislabeled sizing of the canvas brand shirts. I wear a size small shirt in literally every other brand with very few exceptions. The only time I've had issues with fit on any kind of a regular basis are target brand shirts, which very often run quite small. With most other lines however, I usually don't have issues.

Canvas is the exception, and it's very irritating, since I bought a chambray which fits like a small should, yet the heritage poplins are way too tight through the chest, and now apparently, the polos are as well.

I'm fairly certain the mediums will be too large. Merona/Target is the only other line that has shirts as small as Canvas, and when I try the target mediums on, they are definitely too big.

The prices and sales however, are so tempting, I keep ordering items even though logic dictates I should just steer clear.

BB1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by raptorrapture

Even JCrew XS is often too large on me. So extrapolating from your sizing experience, I would likely require a size XXXS in Lands End! By comparison I usually wear a size S in both American Apparel and Alternative Apparel.

Clearly Lands End Canvas is targeted at older customers whom are not overly stylish. Such customers tend to be both overweight and favor loose fitting clothing, which is what accounts for the grossly inflated sizing. Despite Lands End claim that "Canvas" is a young hip brand, their deliberate sizing choices reveals whom they truly believe their main customer base is. Not at all surprising since Lands End is a baby boomer centric brand. How else can you explain it?

There are many complaints in this thread about this brand's clothing being far too large and roomy. Perhaps those of you whom are complaining about sizing should consider shopping elsewhere where the customer base more closely matches your body type and size?

C-Note

Reaction score
I'm not trying to insult anyone but it's crazy how many people are so skinny. I'm pretty sure working your ways up to even just a size small with some exercise and food won't look bad. Unless people are aiming for some Under Armour look

BB1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by C-Note
I'm not trying to insult anyone but it's crazy how many people are so skinny. I'm pretty sure working your ways up to even just a size small with some exercise and food won't look bad. Unless people are aiming for some Under Armour look
Nah, most people in the US are simply overweight but you have become conditioned to accept this as normal since it's what surrounds you. Try going elsewhere in the world and you'll quickly see the definition of "too skinny" is quite different. Even within the US the definition of "too skinny" varies wildly depending on your location and social group. Thus are you describing the desire to fit in by looking like everyone else? Or are you describing the desire to become larger in order to fit into all that fantastic Lands End clothing?

BB1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
68% of Americans are obese or overweight. According to the CDC's BMI charts, I'm actually in the "normal" range yet Lands End clothing is far too big for me. So whom predominately would you imagine Lands End is designing their clothing for: normal people or overweight/obese people?

See http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/overwt.htm

mfitz82

Reaction score
Originally Posted by BB1

Clearly Lands End Canvas is targeted at older customers whom are not overly stylish. Such customers tend to be both overweight and favor loose fitting clothing, which is what accounts for the grossly inflated sizing. Despite Lands End claim that "Canvas" is a young hip brand, their deliberate sizing choices reveals whom they truly believe their main customer base is. Not at all surprising since Lands End is a baby boomer centric brand. How else can you explain it?

There are many complaints in this thread about this brand's clothing being far too large and roomy. Perhaps those of you whom are complaining about sizing should consider shopping elsewhere where the customer base more closely matches your body type and size?

Thus are you describing the desire to fit in by looking like everyone else? Or are you describing the desire to become larger in order to fit into all that fantastic Lands End clothing?

This has not been my experience at all. I am 26yo, 6'0, 170lbs. I have an "athletic" build, 31inch waist, 40inch chest, wear 16/34 dress shirts, etc. I am basically the living definition of medium sized clothing. And LEC size medium fits darn near perfect, in pretty much every piece of clothing I've tried on thus far. E.g. The oxford, the v-neck lambswool sweaters, the v-neck T, the crewneck T, and their straight fit chinos. Their stuff is not overly "baggy", I don't swim in the clothing, the shirts are not too long, etc. At the same time, the shirts don't wrap around my torso like saran wrap, which sometimes happens with American apparel mediums.

Their clothing is definitely basic, and I won't go to it for more than that (some of their stuff looks like they're trying to hard). But in my experience, this company has great fitting clothing at a great price. I will continue to go to it for my basics.

nycfan

Reaction score
yea i think a lot of people on this forum are really skinny.

Johdus Fanfoozal

Reaction score
LEC sizing is all over the place as is their quality. It's almost on a piece by piece basis. But here's just a general rule of thumb.

I'm 5'9" 160 with a 38-40 chest and broad shoulders.

LEC shirts fit well in medium.

LEC sweaters fit like tents in medium.

And LEC outerwear fit like badly-designed clothes on anybody.

Oh, and avoid the chinos if you like to carry anything around in your pockets.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads